Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF'ing 18/6 or 14/10??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IF'ing 18/6 or 14/10??

    I'm an active male and I've been having problems with a 18/6 type IF. I do feel better and perform better with a 14/10 type IF, but in that 10 hour window I eat right up to the point of going to sleep. I have seen mixed results which I might attribute to food choice and time of eating around work out (the longer the time from my last meal and my workout the better). Anyone have an opinion or suggestions? I eat strictly primal.

  • #2
    I would simply move the last meal a couple hours earlier than where you have it, as long as you are hungry by that time.

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't understand how folks call 14-18 hours without food a fast. You're essentially skipping breakfast and shifting your meals to the evening. It's just trendy and rationalizing to call skipping breakfast 'intermittent fasting'. FWIW, I do a 24-30 hour fast (which means stopping eating at lunch or dinner one day and not breaking fast until dinner the next). It does involve skipping at least 2 meals, so that does seem more like a fast.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ebolus101 View Post
        I'm an active male and I've been having problems with a 18/6 type IF. I do feel better and perform better with a 14/10 type IF, but in that 10 hour window I eat right up to the point of going to sleep. I have seen mixed results which I might attribute to food choice and time of eating around work out (the longer the time from my last meal and my workout the better). Anyone have an opinion or suggestions? I eat strictly primal.
        Huh?
        Lifting Journal

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by cassel_man View Post
          I don't understand how folks call 14-18 hours without food a fast. You're essentially skipping breakfast and shifting your meals to the evening. It's just trendy and rationalizing to call skipping breakfast 'intermittent fasting'. FWIW, I do a 24-30 hour fast (which means stopping eating at lunch or dinner one day and not breaking fast until dinner the next). It does involve skipping at least 2 meals, so that does seem more like a fast.
          So, basically you are calling everybody else wimps and reserving the title of "IFer" only for the hardcore cool guys like yourself? Pklopp had a whole series of posts with some studies showing the "sweet spot" for regular daily fasting being 12-18 hours.
          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

          Comment


          • #6
            It's 16/8, not 18/6. See that error a lot. Do a 10 hour window if you want, but that's for girls.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RezH View Post
              Do a 10 hour window if you want, but that's for girls.
              Umm...not so much from what I've read on the Ladies' IF thread. 10 hours was simply what Martin at LeanGains noted was easier for some of the women he worked with.

              I regularly fast 16-18 hours with occasional 22 hour fasts. (Female, 48)

              Honestly, trial and error helped me find what worked best for me.
              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

              Comment


              • #8
                I might have missed something, but why are you fasting? What is the goal that you are reaching for? You say your having problems with the 18/6 fast, what problems? Just that you eat to much? That's easy, only eat when you are truly hungry, I think the benefit of a fast is reduced caloric intake and also to give your body time to burn off the food you ate already and the fat stores that you have. So if you give yourself a window of 8 hours to eat and spend all 8 of them eating, IMO your not fully reaping the benefits of a fast. I have been fasting 2 or 3 times a week, for 20-24 hours at a time, I eat dinner, go to bed, wake up go to work, come home, work out, cook dinner and eat again so that is somewhere between 20-24 hours. This works great for me, but my goal is the last 20 pounds of weight loss, if this is not your goal, this wont work for you.
                My blog - About me, my family, and my hobbies!

                *Please ignore my horrible typing and grammar I am usually typing it all on my very uncooperative phone*

                Comment


                • #9
                  Female, 49 here. I normally don't eat between 6 p.m. and 9:30 a.m. That's 8 waking hours and 7.5 sleeping hours without eating (I go to bed at 11 and wake at 6:30). I think that qualifies as fasting.

                  To me, a 10 hour fast wouldn't count if you ate right before bed, slept 9 hours, then dawdled around for an hour before eating breakfast.
                  Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

                  F/49/5'4"
                  Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                  CW: 146.8 lbs
                  GW 140 lbs
                  A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    my bad about the the number error. I have tried the full 24 fast and that just left me constipated (I have a sluggish digestion system). I am doing this to lean out and notice when I do IF leaning out is very easy. But it's finding the right amount of hours for 1. the eating window. and 2. scheduling around how long before my workout. Like I said the longer the better.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                      So, basically you are calling everybody else wimps and reserving the title of "IFer" only for the hardcore cool guys like yourself? Pklopp had a whole series of posts with some studies showing the "sweet spot" for regular daily fasting being 12-18 hours.
                      No, what I'm saying is, use definitions of words. If you do something on a daily basis as 18/6 folks do, it's not really intermittent. It's just regimented and restricted. What's the difference between skipping a meal and when does it become a fast? Technically any time between meals if fasting time. I fast most everyday for 4, 6 and 12 hours, I'm a fasting machine!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        cassel_man is technically correct, but we have to call it something. It's just the term that has been adopted to tell it apart from regular eating 3 meals a day spaced out at 5-6 hours apart.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          10 hour eating window daily is not fasting. Lots of people skip breakfast, eat lunch at 12-14, dinner around 20-22, that's it = 10 hours between the first and the last meal.

                          No one said that you will feel great. If you don't have some specific goals, don't bother forcing yourself.

                          Personally, I'm fasting for 19-20 hours daily, mainly because experimentally I found that I can eat really huge meals that I love without gaining fat (I'm quite skinny at 6'5''@185 lbs with 6% BF). 5 days doing that, even a "party" pizza, a pound or two of ice cream on the weekends, don't do any visible damage.

                          To recap: if you have the patience, experiment. Do one week of 16/8 with strict calorie counting, note the results and the general feeling, then do some other variation, rinse and repeat.
                          Me@twitter

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Without getting into a pissing contest about how long not eating has to go on for, I would say that any meal skipping (given absence of snacks) is fasting. At the end of the day finding what works for you and your routine long term is what is most important.
                            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              This is a timely article, and an interesting blog if you go through it: Finding a Fasting Plan that Works for You! | The Lean Look

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X