How can I stop smoking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read Allen Carr's book!

In it he posits that the nicotine trap has two aspects. The first is chemical addiction. The second is brainwashing. The chemical addiction to nicotine is mild, and smokers go their entire smoking lives going through them without being bothered by withdrawl symptoms. Like when you sleep through the night.

The brainwashing is the tough part. Allen debunks all the 'reasons' people smoke. When you read arguments you see smoking in a whole different light. Its almost like a 'eureka' moment. Armed with this new knowledge it is easy and enjoyable to quit.

CAUTION: YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL HIS DIRECTIONS TO THE LETTER AND WITHOUT FAIL!

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
      I totally recommend the Allen Carr book that Grizz listed. It works.
      As do I - this book pushed me over the hump of wanting to quit to actually quitting

You are not giving up anything except POISON when you stop smoking.

Comment

The average time it takes to quit smoking is eighteen years.

Comment

When I was a little kid, my grandmother was told by a doctor that, if she didn't quit smoking, she would be dead in a year. She quit cold turkey that day. Never touched another one and became quite the anti-smoking crusader. She did eventually die of lung cancer but she got ten more years and I got to know my grandmother.
          I will never forget her lying in that hospital bed. She had had surgery to remove two lobes of her lung on one side and one lobe on the other. She had the surgeon save a piece of the cancerous lung tissue in a jar for her. She showed it to me and my sister, this black horrible gloppy stuff, and said, "Remember, this is what smoking does to your lungs." I have never had the desire to pick up a cigarette. I have seen several relatives die over the years but her death was by far the most hellish I have witnessed. You don't want to go that way. Trust me. Toss the pack and walk away. Nobody says it will be easy, but dying of lung cancer is not easy either.

Comment

Originally posted by traintolive View Post
            Any advice on how to stop smoking?
            Magnesium supplements:
            A 40 year-old "irritable, anxious, extremely talkative, moderately depressed" smoking, alchohol-drinking, cocaine using male took 125mg magnesium taurinate at each meal and bedtime, and found his symptoms were gone within a week, and his cravings for tobacco, cocaine, and alcohol disappeared. His "ravenous appetite was supressed, and ... beneficial weight loss ensued."

Comment

I used to know a man, who eventually died from lung cancer, but he was a devout Catholic, and every Lent gave up cigarettes seemingly without too much trouble. Go figure.
              WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

Just be. Your hands CAN rest comfortably at your sides or express your emotions.

20 year smoker, 1 year as a nonsmoker

They smell terrible! They cost too damn much! Socialize by sharing your inner self, not a cigarette.

Breathe, put your hands in your pockets and save your $ for a helluva trip.
                My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread70684.html

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                  I have 2 friends that are HOPELESSLY addicted, and I need to convince these two people to get the book.
                  Save your money - noone can convince an addict to stop if they are not ready to and them making an attempt because they "think they aught to" or to please someone else will only result in the ongoing withdrawal that you've described below.

Sorry Solldara & Dado. but quitting smoking is NOT easy, and those who try to quit will suffer withdrawal pains for upwards of 2 years. The withdrawal spasms & pains do become less & less frequent each month. This is my experience & the experience of my friends who have quit. But you are right. SOME people do find it easy to quit, just not anyone that I know.

IMO, in my experience, women have a MUCH harder time to quit than men do. I'm sure there are exceptions, but that is my experience.
                  I'm sorry but I have to reply to this - stopping is easy provided you don't believe the cigarette is benefiting you. 3 days of being twitchy with symptoms less than flu, 2 weeks of coughing up gunk and you're over 99% of the symptoms. Btw key things are reduce caffeine as it has twice the effect on a non smoker and can cause twitchyness, and also nicotine affects blood sugar levels so that also causes classic irritability, twitchness etc which hopefully won't be a problem for anyone following the primal diet.

The only time that stopping smoking is hard is if you still believe that the cigarette is giving you some benefit.
                  Ex-smokers that have stopped because they think they aught to, and constantly tell others how hard it is to stop and how they miss their little friend only make it hard for all the rest of the addicts.

So my question is: what benefit do you miss by not sticking a stinking, expensive drug into your mouth which incidentally is killing you ??

Last points.

1 - I am female
                  2 - I live a stressful busy responsible life with all the issues that everyone faces
                  3 - My husband still smokes and has done so since before I stopped.
                  4 - I started smoking at 14 believing it would help me to be more confident, slimmer, more acceptable etc etc
                  5 - By the time I stopped 25 years later I smoked 50 a day every day and had no place or time when I didn't smoke (I stopped before the new laws came in banning smoking in the workplace)

Anyway good luck with the stopping - if you're on this site its because you're interested in feeling better and having a better quality of life - so stopping smoking is definitely the way ahead
                  1st June 11 to 30st Aug 11 - 36lb removed in 13 weeks
                  Messed about on and off for the rest of the year

June 2012 - Had the practice - now time to do it for real

Comment

How I stopped a long time ago.

1. I didn't tell myself and others that I quit, I simply said I don't smoke. The theory being that if I don't smoke, why would I want a cigarette.

2. I used a substitute. Mine was sunflower seeds. I snarfed down a bag a day for a while until the oral fixation left.

3. I removed myself from the triggers for a while. I got up from the table immediately after eating, and I stopped drinking for a few weeks because those two triggers were my worst enemy when cigarettes seemed to taste the best--right after a meal and while I was drinking.

4. Use your lungs. Participate in an activity that uses your lungs, and you will see that smoking has affected your lung capacity. After a while you will never want to go back to breathing like an old person.

Good luck.

Comment

no joke raising my carbs helped me FWIW
                      Get on my Level
                      http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

I quit smoking (again) three days ago.

I am using the nicotine patch. So much of it is just that smoking part of our routines and using the patch is helpful to me for breaking the routine and it gradually reduces the amount of nicotine you get over several weeks.

Those of you who have said its simple or easy have no idea how hard it is. I heard an interview with a doctor who said, "It is easier to get people to quit using herion than it is to stop smoking." Smoking is different in that cigarettes are readily available.

We all know smoking is bad. Yelling, guilt and other forms of manipulation do not work. If anything they just induce stress and we smoke more. At least I did. Most of us already feel like shit because it is such a difficult internal battle - you don't need to help us.

SO - things that help me are:

- Find something you love that you can't do while smoking (for me this was running)
                        - Tell people you are quitting, let them know you are going to call them when you are struggling (of course these will need to be people who support you quitting)
                        - Avoid people/things that make you want to smoke. It is perfectly acceptable to say no to hanging out with people because they smoke/drink and you are not ready to be around that. If that hurts their feelings - its their problem not yours.
                        - Focus on what is going on right now - don't worry how you are going to deal with tomorrow or later tonight.
                        - Find other ways to deal with stress

If you slip up, don't beat yourself up. Think about what happened and where the error was to learn from it and move on.

Oh.. stop going to stores you used to be cigarettes at - that was helpful too.

We can do this.

Comment

Well I'll tell you what I did. I struggled for months and months to quit. I tried everything. I tried the patch and the gum and cold turkey. Cold turkey always worked the best. It's true that after a few days you will feel a little better and stop thinking about smoking. And then it gets a lot easier.

But let me tell you what really motivated me to quit: hypothyroidism -- my hair started falling out and I felt horrible all the time. OMG I read somewhere that chemicals in cigarettes can trigger hypothyroidism and make it worse. So that was that. I quit the day I was diagnosed. And ya know what, my hypothyroid symptoms cleared up pretty quickly, my blood work is amazingly stellar (low TSH, high T3 and high T4 and low antibodies), and my hair grew back!

Don't let developing a disease be what motivates you. You can keep it from happening.

You can do it!

Comment

I remember my dad quitting "cold turkey" when we were kids in the 1960s. It took him two or three tries before he quit for good. His final time, he did it on a long vacation. They didn't have nicotine gum or patches back then. He may have used chewing gum or lollipops when he had the urge to smoke. One thing, if you want to quit for good, you can never smoke again or you will relapse. That happened to him with a cigar and he had go through quitting all over again.

Comment

i quit several years ago, my husband quit last week. we were both heavy smokers. the trick is to stop smoking. seriously. don't buy cigarettes and don't smoke cigarettes anymore. make a resolve to keep it that way. evreything else is a crutch. also you're going to be hungry, so have some snacks available.

Comment

I love a good "how do I stop smoking" thread

How? You don't do it any more. Simple.
                                Simple? Really? Yes, I know they're addictive ... I smoked for 15 years and at around 80 a day in my final few years of smoking I stopped. Stopped.
                                Yes, it was hell. It was hell for a good few months and even years later I was still not over it. You're 18 and an on/off smoker for a couple of years. Do yourself a favour and just give it up.

Savour the pangs. When you get a pang, a desire to smoke grit your teeth and go through it - the sense of winning and the relief when you're through is great! No compromise, no excuses - just stop doing it. Stop now? No time like the present - it's not like you've got a serious habit to give up. Don't think about it; just do it. No planning ... no substitution.
                                Paul
                                http://www.pjgh.co.uk
                                http://www.livingintheiceage.co.uk

"... needs more fish!"

Comment

Working...
                                X