Can nuts make you gain weight?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can nuts make you gain weight?

We've discussed plenty before about how nuts can stall weight. But can nuts actually make you gain weight, considering their carb count is relatively less. I've gained about 5 lbs since I started primal. I was in denial until my mom told me today that I look like I've gained weight. I've been pretty primal since August. As most people here on the forum already know, nuts are my nemesis. Can I lose weight if I give up nuts temporarily?

I have a horrible time with nut butter- probably because I can eat so many nuts worth so quickly. If I buy a jar of nut butter and don't control myself with it (which means dipping into it daily), my weight loss essentially stalls, or my weight goes up.

I guess what I'd say is, try it and see what happens. If after a month or two there's no difference, resume eating nuts.

Comment

yea...since going primal ive eaten pounds of nuts! when i first started i lost about 9lbs and now im almost back to my initial weight (i gained like 6 lbs) so it could definitely be overeating fat in general and not burning up those stores

Comment

Nuts are a super concentrated source of energy so you need to be moderate with them. One thing to consider is that if you were eating them in nature and had to work to get into walnut shells and such, you would certainly eat a lot fewer than if they are just sitting in a bowl. I try to keep it to about 200 calories/ day with nuts.

Also, are you eating raw nuts and raw nut butters? I find I don't tend to over eat raw nuts. The roasted, salted stuff I could eat like popcorn. You will get more nutrients out of raw nuts so it's the better choice.

Comment

To answer the question, of course you can gain weight eating nuts. They have calories (a lot of them actually) so the more calories you eat over maintenence, the more weight you will gain. Anyway, here is an interesting article on nuts and weight gain.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...weight-qa.html

Comment

Yes, calories overall matter as well as carbohydrates.

Comment

Id recommend you ease off the nuts a little bit-perhaps just eat raw like DMM said, or homemade nut butters (which is harder to overdose on). I've been primal for a few months now, but while staying low-carb Ive seemed to be overeating in fat calories and gained a few (my mom mentioned it to me too, whic hurts since Im trying to be a primal 'role model' But limiting to a handful of nuts may be helpful. good luck!

Comment

YEEESSSS it can, it nearly destroyed my primal progress, and its so easy to overindulge without realising it, i first cut it out of my diet, now my nuts intake is so limited that i cant remember the last time i had a handfull

Comment

I only eat raw nuts. I went for the nut butters and found them so lovely I knew I would have problems! Having said that though, I am not a massive eater anyway and I do eat nuts every day - just not very many at all!

I could try cutting them out and seeing if that does anything with my weight loss, but to be honest, I'm quite happy with my progress, so I'll keep them in for now.

@maba - have you gained weight in a 'fat' way or in a 'muscle' way? Do you look good/feel good?

Comment

I have a really bad problem with nuts too. Fortunately, about a week ago I came across some rancid hazelnuts and they gave me a terrible headache and allergic reaction. That did it for me - I'm laying off the nuts for a while. When I do eat them though, I'm going to soak them over night.

I gave up nuts, cheese, coffee - and guess what? I'm still not losing weight. :P

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
                    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I used to have a bad walnut and almond butter thing going on. I could seriously eat the snot out of walnuts. It stopped when I started taking vitamin E & only after a few doses @ 400 IU. I don&#39;t even take it daily, only when I remember, which isn&#39;t too often! LOL! Did really seem to help with the nut cravings, though.

Comment

We need to sticky/bold the phrase, "any macronutrient in excess can cause weight gain"

Granted, its not a 100% given. As other personal variables, hormones, excercise, etc play into it.

Comment

Maba, fwiw, once I started taking magnesium as a supplement, I stopped over eating on nuts and chocolate. It worked for me perhaps because I wasnt absorbing as I needed to. I sweat alot during my bike workouts and had done for a very long time, years in fact, without getting adequate magnesium and zinc in my diet. A hcp friend of mine, when I was doing Bikram there for a while, also recommended taking it after doing a class as so many salts are lost through sweat.

Comment

i found nut butters (almond & cashew in particular) were just too tasty for me to "ration" so i won&#39;t buy them or i just do an individual packet (justin&#39;s natural nut butters) i DO eat raw almonds every day BUT i count them and eat between 10-20 a day so i&#39;m not just "guessing" how many calories i&#39;m taking in the form of nuts. next week i&#39;m going to not eat the nuts or greek yogurt and see what happens to my weight. i lost weight after cutting out the nut butters and have maintained my weight loss eating small amounts of nuts daily.

Comment

Nuts do not "make" you gain weight. Nothing "makes" you gain weight.

maba, I&#39;m going to be harsh. How many times have we read of you piling on carbs, often Indian delicacies? How many times have we read of your confessional "falling off of the wagon" episodes? In an exchange several months ago you told me that you don&#39;t really weigh your portions, you are estimating.

Well?????

If you&#39;ve been "pretty primal" since August, you certainly shouldn&#39;t be GAINING weight (unless very skinny before, of course.) Eating a lot of nuts is NOT PB, they should be an occasional indulgence. If nothing else, they are loaded with n-6&#39;s.

Since flying blind isn&#39;t working for you, get a scale, record everything on Fitday, and get a handle on what you are doing wrong. It will be right in front of you and you can then make changes, the ones you need.

The answer to your question is "No," they don&#39;t make you fat.......unless you put them in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X