Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is leangains?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is leangains?

    I checked out the site and didn't see anything more than the glorification of IFing? is there anything else behind it?

  • #2
    You missed the part about the owner glorifying himself!

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm not an expert on his system, I've only read a little...

      You'll often hear "trainers" say you can't physically lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. That might be true, at the exact same moment in time you might not be able to (I'm not sure I care) but I think he (Martin?) developed a system that uses fasted weight training to drop fat and gain muscle "at the same time."

      I consider IF-ing to be skipping lunch. His system is very different than that, so you might say it's a structured approach to fasting and lifting.

      Anyone on here tried it? The schedule just wouldn't work with my life-schedule so I had to skip it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Based on his pictures of himself, it looks like a skinny kid that figured out how to add muscle and explain it well in terms of IF. I don't know how what he knows applies to the rest of us but he tries really hard to make it look like it will.

        Comment


        • #5
          I have been doing a modified version of Leangains for a while. The IF'ing is pretty straight forward and clearly explained on his site. However, he is a personal trainer, so he only gives tidbits about the workout, but gives the full deal to his paying clients. From what I gathered, he recommends a low volume, heavy weight routine, and often recommends a reverse pyramid approach. For example, you would do two warm up sets on a particular exercise, then your heaviest set would be your first working set, then your second would be reduced by 10% and the third by 10%. Due to the very heavy weight being lifted, rest periods in between sets are usually at least 2-3 minutes long, and you need them. I am no where near the shape that Martin is in, but I have found the routine to be effective. I now plan on cycling my Leangains routine with a higher volume-lighter weight routine each month to see how that works for me.

          I think Martin has done enough experimenting and research to know what he is talking about. It's not for everyone, but it certainly works for many of the clients that have posted testimonials.

          Comment


          • #6
            Oh, and yes, if you read Martin's story, he was originally a chubby kid that lost weight and started modeling. Then, he became too skinny, and found IF a useful way to put on muscle without gaining fat.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by barryman9000 View Post
              You'll often hear "trainers" say you can't physically lose fat and gain muscle at the same time.
              .
              Those trainers are worth their weight in dog crap. I put 9lbs of muscle on in a little over 8 weeks at 1000 cal deficit when I switched from high volume to HIT. Dropped 17 pounds too. Those trainers can do the math.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pyro13g View Post
                Those trainers are worth their weight in dog crap. I put 9lbs of muscle on in a little over 8 weeks at 1000 cal deficit when I switched from high volume to HIT. Dropped 17 pounds too. Those trainers can do the math.
                Yeah, I think this idea is a common CW mantra you hear from the "trainers" at GloboGym. I lost about 25Lbs of fat and have to assume I gained muscle because I kept lifting more and more weight. I was eating plenty though.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                  I have been doing a modified version of Leangains for a while. The IF'ing is pretty straight forward and clearly explained on his site. However, he is a personal trainer, so he only gives tidbits about the workout, but gives the full deal to his paying clients. From what I gathered, he recommends a low volume, heavy weight routine, and often recommends a reverse pyramid approach. For example, you would do two warm up sets on a particular exercise, then your heaviest set would be your first working set, then your second would be reduced by 10% and the third by 10%. Due to the very heavy weight being lifted, rest periods in between sets are usually at least 2-3 minutes long, and you need them. I am no where near the shape that Martin is in, but I have found the routine to be effective. I now plan on cycling my Leangains routine with a higher volume-lighter weight routine each month to see how that works for me.

                  I think Martin has done enough experimenting and research to know what he is talking about. It's not for everyone, but it certainly works for many of the clients that have posted testimonials.
                  Originally posted by john_e_turner_ii View Post
                  Oh, and yes, if you read Martin's story, he was originally a chubby kid that lost weight and started modeling. Then, he became too skinny, and found IF a useful way to put on muscle without gaining fat.
                  Martin really knows his stuff, and the results he got from himself and gets from his clients speak for themselves I think. Richard Nikoley is or was a client, here is the start of a short series of posts on his experience -- positive!

                  Leangains is a combination of a daily 8-hour eating window (fasting the other 16) with macronutrient cycling (workout days are carb-heavy, rest days are protein-heavy) with the majority of calories being eaten post-workout if it's a work day. That's the nutrition side of it which Martin makes pretty freely-available on his site and various interviews, the workouts he doesn't talk too much about.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As other have said, the results of Martin and his clients speak for themselves. I've been doing Leangains myself for the past several months with good results. It just makes sense to increase your carbs and calories around your workouts and drop them lower at other times. I think that is the key.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have read almost the entire site and I am a big fan of Martin Berkhan. I've use the eight hour or less eating window for over a year now in mylife. In that year I have achieved and maintained a single digit body fat percentage and I have added visible muscle as well as increased my strength in all of my lifts. My abs which had been hidden for almost twenty years are again visible. Steve, you can bad mouth Martin for glorifying himself, but personally, having actually tried his approach, I'd say that it works for me too. IFing is not for everyone, but for some of us it works really damned good.

                      That said, the central theme of leangains is IF so, if you're apposed to IF on the general principle then you probably won't have much use for the site. I'd also recommend checking out theleansaloon.com for a different perceptive on IFing as part of a healthy lifestyle.
                      http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        For the record Martin Berkhan did not use IF to get from being the chubby un-muscular kid that he was to the physique that he has now. Martin started working out and ultimately became a model by starving himself. After years of struggling with maintaining a lean physique and wanting to be able add muscle for a while he did learn about and got interested in IFing. Intermittent Fasting for Martin was tool to help him gain muscle without bulking as in the more traditional approach to weight lifting and body building. Bulking works great if you're willing to take steroid as part of both the bulking and the trimming phases.
                        Many of Martins followers, myself included, tend to use IF in trimming and in finding the balancing point between staying lean and gaining muscle.
                        http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          its funny that you ask. i almost posted the same question a week ago. i heard about his website here on MDA forum so i checked it out but his website loads very slow at my work so i asked someone here to explain to it me in basic terms and that he did. i only learned about the fasting part because my training is dialed in, i am very happy with where i am on a training platform but i always like learning about fasting and how it shreds you down. what i was told about the "fasting" side of leangains was basically you fast for 16hrs per day only eating your calories during an 8hr window. you can break your fast right before you train or right after. i am also trying a modified version. i am only fasting for 11.5 hours and breaking my fast after my workout as i am building up toward the 16hr fast. my food is still all primal and i am already seeing a difference. im sure it has to do with bodyshock, my body is adjusting to the new routine but i do feel different. here is my journal page.

                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread31693.html
                          Last edited by jaysond; 06-09-2011, 07:27 AM.

                          i went primal in feb 2010
                          200lbs
                          37% body fat
                          38-40 waist

                          1 year to the day
                          140lbs
                          7.8% body fat
                          29 waist

                          currently
                          137lbs
                          7% body fat
                          29 waist

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Leangains was originaly intended for mass gains without the fat that you see conventional bb do as they "bulk-cut" yearly cycle.

                            It is basically a daily bulk-cut cycle that uses IF and fasted training to maximize calorie partitioning.

                            It is also a program than frees you from the 5-6 small meals of talapia/tuna/chicken breast/rice/oatmeal a day bullshit that consumes body building culture these days. Cheesecake Mastery anyone!

                            It also works in reverse by spareing lean mass while cutting fat.

                            Also, don't confuse beginner gains with anything meaningful. Pretty much any "diet" and workout plan will work for most guys in the begining.
                            Don't be a paleotard...

                            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

                            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

                            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

                            http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by chima_p View Post
                              Leangains was originaly intended for mass gains without the fat that you see conventional bb do as they "bulk-cut" yearly cycle.

                              It is basically a daily bulk-cut cycle that uses IF and fasted training to maximize calorie partitioning.

                              It is also a program than frees you from the 5-6 small meals of talapia/tuna/chicken breast/rice/oatmeal a day bullshit that consumes body building culture these days. Cheesecake Mastery anyone!

                              It also works in reverse by spareing lean mass while cutting fat.

                              Also, don't confuse beginner gains with anything meaningful. Pretty much any "diet" and workout plan will work for most guys in the begining.
                              what do you mean beginner gains?

                              i went primal in feb 2010
                              200lbs
                              37% body fat
                              38-40 waist

                              1 year to the day
                              140lbs
                              7.8% body fat
                              29 waist

                              currently
                              137lbs
                              7% body fat
                              29 waist

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X