No announcement yet.

Leptin Resistance - Questions!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. I tried to have an even higher protein breakfast this morning. I added a few chicken meatballs (21g) to my usual three eggs (21g). That still leaves me significantly shy of 50g and I had trouble finishing that. Is it supposed to be 50g for everyone or does it scale by size? I'm not a petite woman, either. I'm 5'8" and have a bit of muscle. Even at my height, the 50g represents a significant chunk of my daily protein target.

Maybe I actually need a leaner meat source (perish the thought). Maybe the fat is filling me up too much to eat so much protein.

Comment

I would also like ideas on a 50g protein breakfast that isn't difficult to eat. With eggs only having 6 grams of protein each and bacon not being full of protein either, I'm not sure what to do. I can get the fat content up, but I definitely need ideas on the protein.

Comment

According to this the yield from cooking 1/2 pound of 80% lean beef is still only 40g. I'm pretty well stumped.

Comment

Honestly, I don't understand the idea that you need to eat within 30 min of getting up. Makes no sense to me.

I broke my fast ("breakfast") at noon today with 72 gms of protein (1/2 lb hamburger, 3 oz cheese and 34 g of chocolate.) Easy peasy.
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Yeah, I have a hard time eating any breakfast let alone 50g of protein.

Comment

You couldn't do 1/2 lb of beef with a few eggs? That was my breakfast today, plus some blueberries and greens.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                Honestly, I don't understand the idea that you need to eat within 30 min of getting up. Makes no sense to me.

I broke my fast ("breakfast") at noon today with 72 gms of protein (1/2 lb hamburger, 3 oz cheese and 34 g of chocolate.) Easy peasy.
                I can see the idea of eating close to rising, but I'm not getting where the 1/2 hour comes from. I'd like to see how folks arrived at that figure.

Comment

I don't know that I could handle 8 oz steak and eggs and blueberries and greens for breakfast. That would be way too much food for me, personally. I'd be uncomfortably stuffed.

A typical filling breakfast for me would be two eggs and four pieces of bacon. That would be about 24 grams of protein. Even if I added cheese, it would still only bring it up to about 30 grams of protein.

I guess I could try 8 ounces of beef. Got to think about this one.

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                    I can see the idea of eating close to rising, but I'm not getting where the 1/2 hour comes from. I'd like to see how folks arrived at that figure.
                    Why would you eat close to rising if you aren't hungry?

The longer I've been Primal, the longer I can go (if I want to) before my first meal. As the MalPaz shared in the article she quoted (and the one that I quoted) lower levels of triglycerides (e.g. more time between meals) are beneficial to reducing leptin resistance.

Basically eating less often seems to be the key. IF can help with this, if desired. Eating 3 meals seems counter-productive, IMO.

I eat two meals a day now.

Comment

Originally posted by bwhit View Post
                      You couldn't do 1/2 lb of beef with a few eggs? That was my breakfast today, plus some blueberries and greens.
                      I can try, but my meal this morning was 74g of meat (2.6oz) and three eggs and that was pushing it. That's why I'm thinking less fat might help. The meatballs I had were 10g fat and 14g protein. Plus I added a little coconut oil to the pan for cooking. I misread when I posted 21g of protein above. My actual total for breakfast protein was 35g. Only 70% of what they're advising. The only way I can see to add almost half again as much protein is to cut out some of the fat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                        Why would you eat close to rising if you aren't hungry?

The longer I've been Primal, the longer I can go (if I want to) before my first meal. As the MalPaz shared in the article she quoted (and the one that I quoted) lower levels of triglycerides (e.g. more time between meals) are beneficial to reducing leptin resistance.

Basically eating less often seems to be the key. IF can help with this, if desired. Eating 3 meals seems counter-productive, IMO.

I eat two meals a day now.
                        I generally am hungry in the morning. Especially this morning since I didn't eat dinner last night. I have been trying to put more time between meals, though. That pushes my normal dinner rather late. I suppose I could try for an early brunchish meal, then not eat again until dinner, which is usually at 8.
                        Last edited by DaisyEater; 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                          I generally am hungry in the morning. Especially this morning since I didn't eat dinner last night.
                          That makes sense!

Comment

Ok, maybe I'm stupid but I don't get this whole "leptin resistance" deal. I perused through Dr. Kruses blog and none of it makes a damn bit of sense to me. Can some please explain it to me like I'm a damn 5 year old before I go insane?
                            Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                              Ok, maybe I'm stupid but I don't get this whole "leptin resistance" deal. I perused through Dr. Kruses blog and none of it makes a damn bit of sense to me. Can some please explain it to me like I'm a damn 5 year old before I go insane?
                              The Rosedale Diet leptin resistance quiz.
                              Welcome to Dr.Rosedale's Website
                              World-Renowned Low-Carb Physician Dr. Ron Rosedale (Episode 365) | The Livin La Vida Low-Carb Show
                              Last edited by js290; 06-09-2011, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
                                I'll attempt-

(very high level version)

Leptin is how your fat cells signal your brain that you have had enough.

I don't think this only means that your fat cells send a note to tell you that you are full (the satiety thing). I think it has more to do with how your fat cells and brain balance things out all the time. Screw up leptin signaling, everything goes wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X