5 Reasons Why You Eat More Bacon Than Me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Uh so, bacon is evil because crazy religious people say so?

This will only strengthen my resolve to eat tons of bacon - and pork belly, loin, butt, whatever.

It's likely just a quirk from history since people probably got sick from parasites in raw pork and someone worked this into religious tradition. If there would have been no religion, people still would have gotten sick and passed the tradition on some other way. No big deal.

Comment

Does anyone know how to make homemade bacon bits?! Would you just simply dehydrate bacon? Now that I think about it... using bacon as a condiment is a EXTRAORDINARY idea. Having homemade bacon bits on hand would be awesome. Any ideas?!
      Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
        Does anyone know how to make homemade bacon bits?! Would you just simply dehydrate bacon? Now that I think about it... using bacon as a condiment is a EXTRAORDINARY idea. Having homemade bacon bits on hand would be awesome. Any ideas?!
        I like to cut the raw bacon up into lardons (matchstick slices) and pan fry until desired crispness. Save the grease for bacon mayo, salad dressing, cooking mushrooms... etc. Use the bacon hot, warm, or throw it in the fridge for future use.
        The more I see the less I know for sure.
        -John Lennon

Comment

I bake my bacon in the oven--easy clean-up (400 deg for 25-35 min, parchment paper on the bottom of the roasting pan--bacon sitting on the roasting pan rack--pour the fat off to use for cooking.)

The bacon gets perfectly crispy. I let it drain onto paper towels and pop it on a plate in the fridge.

A day or two and it is dry enough to crumble into bacon bits.
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I eat about a pound a week. Sure, it is salty but since I do not salt anything else I figure it doesn't really matter. I find it no messier than any other meat. Vitamins etc? yeah, I eat plenty of other things with vitamins. Bacon is about enjoying life; it's like coffee only made of meat. I also don't worry about Omega 6 and all that. Yeah, I am probably a bad grok; then again, I really don't care.

Comment

I love bacon, but only eat meat I consider to be "ethically farmed" so I buy in bulk from a free range farm. check them out on Havoc Pork : Once you've tasted Havoc Pork you'll know the difference.
              I've never tasted bacon as good as this anywhere in the world! Happy pigs are yummy pigs I guess!

Comment

I don't eat a lot of it either, but I enjoy it every now and then.
                Free book on Self-change (aswell as Paleo articles) at my website: www.identityisdynamic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                  Two fried eggs over easy and three strips of bacon for breakfast. YUM.

According to Cronometer three strips of pan fried bacon has 1 gm sat fat, 1.4 mono, and 0.3 gm omega-6, plus 192 mg sodium, so yeah it is salty. I always use paper towels to pull as much fat out as I can and even pull off fatty sections, because I don't really want the PUFAs either.

I love bacon but I think I am reasonable about it.
                  If there's only 0.3g in 3 strips, that's a pretty minimal amount of omega 6. Don't strip off the fat! Nuts, olive oil, poultry and other sources will give you way more omega 6 than that.

Comment

I get the lower sodium variety, but I don't really care about the salt content anyway, my blood pressure is 115/70 on most days (I test every other week).

Comment

I LOVE bacon... but I only eat the really good stuff. Boar bacon made by my butcher. It's PERFECT.

Now, because I only eat the best bacon, and it's sort of a limited supply (and/or very expensive to get more when not buying a whole pig) I only eat it very occasionally- like every 2 months or so. It's a wonderful, delicious treat.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                        I like to cut the raw bacon up into lardons (matchstick slices) and pan fry until desired crispness. Save the grease for bacon mayo, salad dressing, cooking mushrooms... etc. Use the bacon hot, warm, or throw it in the fridge for future use.
                        i do this too...though my slices are at least half of an inch wide.

i don't eat a lot of bacon. i'll cook up a lot of it every once in a while just to get the bacon fat, then keep those bacon bits stashed in my fridge just to add a little flavor to something like a salad, scrambled eggs, sauteed veggies, etc.
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

Well, considering I've got 3 thick slabs of it frying right now, I would probably have to say that I do eat more bacon than you

Comment

I was just thinking about eating MOAR bacon.

Keeps me from eating milkshakes.

Comment

I rarely eat it. Not even 1 lb a month. I cook it when I need bacon fat and that is about it. Bacon seems to be worshiped here so many people don't think twice about it but my personal feeling is that it should be limited. Same way I feel about fat overall. I think the "good fat" message has been taken way out of context in both primal and paleo.

Comment

HERSEY!!

Bow down. Bow down, and worship at the Altar of Bacon unbelievers!

Swift and terrible judgement shall befall all infidels!

There is no god but Bacon, and I am his prophet!

Comment

Working...
                                X