Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnesium overdose? Strange symptoms w/magnesium citrate.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Magnesium overdose? Strange symptoms w/magnesium citrate.....

    I had been taking magnesium oxide tablets, but tried to switch to magnesium citrate (natural calm brand), since I heard that mg ox is not absorbed by the body.

    Took 1/2 tsp of Natural Calm w/hot water one night and had trouble waking the next morning. Felt drugged, out of it, tired, dazed. THEN the real kicker was that my anxiety level was WAY high and took a few days to totally settle back down to normal levels for me.

    Could this be magnesium overdose? I took the mg oxide that day as well (earlier in the morning), and had my usual kelp supplement as well.

    So I have been reviewing previous threads and some people have the same type of reaction. Is there anyone who had these symptoms and went on to continue taking it and had the reaction alleviated?

    What to do? Divide the dose?? Take less?? Quit entirely?

    Trying magnesium therapy to: alleviate anxiety, supplement my diet, overall health.

  • #2
    Same with me, I was taking oxide tablets and decided to switch to Natural calm. I had the sleepy morning issue, as well as MAJOR anger issues. I was a raving wench. It took me 5 days to realize it, and after a couple days off I was fine. I have not tried to go back on yet. I am in the middle of a stressful time, so when things ease up I might try 1/4 tsp for a few days, see if it still effects me, and go from there. Might just be I don't need anymore magnesium, who knows. I have chronic muscle tension so I would like to be able to take it during flare ups to help out.
    Erin
    Daily Vlogs
    Primal Pets Blog

    Comment


    • #3
      Ever since I started taking magnesium citrate (in capsule form) I sleep like a freaking BOULDER. Maybe try going to bed earlier? Or take capsule form. Just ideas.
      --Trish (Bork)
      TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
      http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
      FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

      Comment


      • #4
        My husband takes it with no problems. Yet here I am, a zombie w/major anxiety issues.

        Has anyone tried magnesium oil (mg chloride) or mg chloride bath soaks instead?

        I have heard such good things about magnesium, and although I eat a good diet I have other lingering issues that I think would be improved with magnesium possibly.....

        Does anyone take a split dose during the day? Or just a whole dose at night?

        Comment


        • #5
          I take a split dose of magnesium glycinate in pill form. 200mg in the AM, and 200mg in the PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kyle46N View Post
            I take a split dose of magnesium glycinate in pill form. 200mg in the AM, and 200mg in the PM.
            Does this make you fatigued taking it in the day? Do you believe you are getting good absorbtion w/glycinate?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Meadow View Post
              Same with me, I was taking oxide tablets and decided to switch to Natural calm. I had the sleepy morning issue, as well as MAJOR anger issues. I was a raving wench. It took me 5 days to realize it, and after a couple days off I was fine. I have not tried to go back on yet. I am in the middle of a stressful time, so when things ease up I might try 1/4 tsp for a few days, see if it still effects me, and go from there. Might just be I don't need anymore magnesium, who knows. I have chronic muscle tension so I would like to be able to take it during flare ups to help out.
              I am coming off a stressful period as well....lots of events beyond my control happened. Recovering now....I was thinking of trying 1/8 tsp at first, spaced evenly between morning and night....

              Comment


              • #8
                I take 1 capsule magnesium citrate in the morning and 1 before bed
                --Trish (Bork)
                TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Someone please explain what is Primal about Magnesium citrate?

                  If people are using it for sleep, have you considered how nature provides?

                  You have a pineal gland that releases melatonin daily when the sun goes down to help you sleep right and wake up right. Modern living disrupts this cycle. We don't sleep when the sun goes down any more.

                  I'm not against supplements or anything, but if you want to be Primal, I don't understand why everyone isn't talking about melatonin instead-at least for healthy, restful sleep the way your body was meant to sleep. Nature provides.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DFH View Post
                    Someone please explain what is Primal about Magnesium citrate?

                    If people are using it for sleep, have you considered how nature provides?

                    You have a pineal gland that releases melatonin daily when the sun goes down to help you sleep right and wake up right. Modern living disrupts this cycle. We don't sleep when the sun goes down any more.

                    I'm not against supplements or anything, but if you want to be Primal, I don't understand why everyone isn't talking about melatonin instead-at least for healthy, restful sleep the way your body was meant to sleep. Nature provides.
                    Not using for sleep. Using for my hubby-restless leg syndrome, and for me for hopefully my anxiety/depression relief...Not to mention that I may have low mg already because of my gluten intolerance that I am recovering from (possibly stomach lining may not be able to absorb mg due to damage to villi)....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This is a good link on magnesium:
                      The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Magnesium and inflammation

                      Also several older threads in the forum discuss the importance of magnesium.
                      Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                      Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                      Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                        This is a good link on magnesium:
                        The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Magnesium and inflammation

                        Also several older threads in the forum discuss the importance of magnesium.
                        Yes, I did read many other threads....and that led me to wonder if there was anyone who "overcame" thier initial bad reaction to mg citrate that some posts mentioned.....I am hoping that maybe I can overcome my bad reaction....but I felt so bad that I don't want to try it again And the health benefits of mg are so numerous that I feel like I want to try again and I want it to work for me....but....

                        P.S. I am now a proponent of the EFT technique you mentioned in an earlier post I started....THANKS!!!!
                        Last edited by EvansMom; 06-07-2011, 03:03 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And thanks for everyone who chimed in, I appreciate the feedback on my post so much!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DFH View Post
                            Someone please explain what is Primal about Magnesium citrate?
                            Not completely "primal" but the soil that veggies grew in back in the good old days was much more rich in magnesium which basically helps your muscles relax, where as calcium helps them fire. Our soil today, especially in the mass produced farmland in the midwest, is severely deficient in magnesium so supplementing with it actually brings our levels back to "primal" levels.
                            My Paleo Project:

                            www.nutritionator.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have the same problem. I haven't figured it out yet. I tried to take it in the a.m. on an empty stomach (I'm concerned about taking it with a meal as I have read somewhere that it dilutes stomach acid) and I fell asleep on the couch with my three children screaming and fighting. I won't do that again.

                              I, too, think I would benefit from it: muscle cramps, heavy stress load, more restful sleep...and I so wish I could do everything 'natural' - meaning not even a supplement - but when you are under the constant stress I am under, sometimes a supplement is a good thing. And really, I am anti-supplement.

                              I'm going to up my nettle infusions to see if that helps.

                              PLEASE let me know if you figure out something.

                              BTW, some of the stressful things I am going through are beyond my control and a little sunlight in the day isn't going to help. If anyone would like to hire me some help and get me a wet nurse for 2 am and 4 am feedings, please PM me.
                              Last edited by Rainbird2; 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM. Reason: Changed "you" to "anyone" because the last statement was not directed at anyone in particular.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X