Best Canned Tuna

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Canned Tuna

I finally substituted tuna in my BAS instead of chicken and it was amazing. I used Chicken of the Sea, which seemed pretty pure, besides vegetable broth containing soy. I was wondering if anyone knows of canned tuna that is just pura tuna and water, without any additives because this is going to become a staple of my diet. Thanks.

I have been eating Starkist yellowfin tuna which is packed in olive oil... Ingredients are tuna, and olive oil. I think they make one that's just packed in water.

Comment

Thanks. I was eating way to much chicken and replacing that with tuna in my salads will be a great way to give me that Omega 3 I was missing.

Comment

I get it at Trader Joe's for $1.49 a can and it either has tuna, water and salt, tuna, olive oil and salt, or just plain ol tuna and water.

Love that place!
        Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have a Trader Joe's near me. I'm so jealous because I hear so much talk about the Primal options at that place.

Comment

I buy it in olive oil when I can. CotS is easiest to find.

Our local Earth Fare stocks the same Bumblebee brand that the other stores sell. Not sure what they know that we don't.

I get Bumblebee smoked salmon in foil packs too, and keep a bunch in my desk at work so I can avoid the snack machines.

Comment

wild planet

Welcome to Wild Planet - Wild Planet Foods

Comment

This is no help since you don't have one nearby, but I buy Tongol packed in water from Trader Joe's. Mark recommends not making tuna a daily staple in your diet because of the mercury content and also talks about the mercury levels in different types of tuna here.

Comment

Good point about the mercury levels. I guess I'll look for some yellowfin tuna and try to eat in 3-4 days a week with my salad instead of daily. I was thinking of incorporating canned salmon into my salads but not sure how that would taste.

Comment

That Wild Planet stuff looks good but super expensive.

Comment

I love canned salmon in salads. It looks a bit odd because it has skin and bones in there, but eat it all...it's good for you! I only eat tuna a couple times a week. I figure I split the mercury with my cat, who demands to have tuna any time I open a can!

Comment

Originally posted by Mick812 View Post
                        Good point about the mercury levels. I guess I'll look for some yellowfin tuna and try to eat in 3-4 days a week with my salad instead of daily. I was thinking of incorporating canned salmon into my salads but not sure how that would taste.
                        If you're concerned about mercury, I wouldn't consume more than 2 cans per week

Comment

it is a little expensive, but worth it. the flavor and texture and overall quality is amazing. and where i live, a 5oz pouch of bumblebee or starkist is $2.59. the 5oz cans of wild planet are $2.99. with 6 times the omega 3 and way less mercury, it's worth the extra 40 cents

Comment

Maybe it's just the Wild Planet website than, because their cans of tuna are $4.99, which is a lot. Hopefully they have it in my local grocery store. I don't know what to think of the mercury levels. I guess I'll limit it to a few cans a week and eat salmon some other days.

Comment

i would definitely not spend $4.99 a can. are you near a wegmans? that is where i buy it for $2.99. recently i saw it at a shoprite and it was $3.99 a can. i think the wild planet website has a listing of stores where the product is sold

Comment

Working...
                              X