Primal Fare at Trader Joe's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Fare at Trader Joe's?

Hey guys! What are your favorite primal things to get at TJs? I haven't been in over half a year so I'm sure they have new stuff. I'm mostly asking about items like sauces and condiments.

I know in a perfect world we would make everything from scratch but I'm also a student with a full-time internship. It helps to have a few raw and premade materials on hand.

I love TJs but I find they have very little that doesn't contain added sugar or gluten. I like their pre-made salads, sausages, bacon. As far as sauces, the last time I was there I picked up a jar of green curry that looked good.

Comment

Mango chutney, cheeses, pre-made salads, Kerrygold butter, heavy whipping cream that is just cream, almond meal, coffee, gluten free hard cider, sausages, cheeses.
      Georgette

Comment

It's not a condiment, but I was pretty excited when I went last week to find packages of their apple-smoked bacon ends (uncured, nitrate-free!) for $2.99 for a 1 lb. package. The regular sliced version is $3.99 for 12 ounces.

Their salsas are good, I have a hot chipotle salsa right now, and there's no weird ingredients or sugar.
        My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Originally posted by lucyh View Post
          It's not a condiment, but I was pretty excited when I went last week to find packages of their apple-smoked bacon ends (uncured, nitrate-free!) for $2.99 for a 1 lb. package. The regular sliced version is $3.99 for 12 ounces.

Their salsas are good, I have a hot chipotle salsa right now, and there's no weird ingredients or sugar.
          Definitely will give them a thumbs up on salsa. I do also like their frozen seafood as well. In the dairy section, look for "herb butter". If you like shrimp scampi, it makes the best. Also the herb butter is great for steaks.
          Georgette

Comment

Watch out for veggie oils in their sauces! And their coconut milk is LITE, ugh.

Other than that, lots of their frozen fish are wild-caught, which I like. They are starting to sell grass-fed ground beef, too. Haven't tried their beef bacon but it looks awesome. They have some raw cheeses (but not as good as farmer's market cheese imo). I like their baking chocolate disks as a snack (but I like the big gourmet blocks I get at WF better). Good go-to for almond meal if you don't want to deal with the internet. LOVE the Greek yogurt when I decide not to care about cow breed or grass-fed status. Their Vitamin D supplement has olive oil instead of soybean oil. Bread & butter pickles are delicious, and sun-dried tomatoes in oil are pretty good. Mineral water for a reasonable price. Yogi tea. Coffee coffee coffee coffee.

Comment

Denmark doesn't have a TJ's
              We do have Trader Joe's nuts, though, but that's about the only product I've seen...

Comment

grassfed ground beef, nitrate free bacon (though they dropped Niman Ranch and the TJ's brand pales in comparison), sausages (though they contain dextrose... thoughts on how bad this is?), cream-top whole milk (for my daughter), heavy cream, frozen organic blueberries and raspberries (perfect with the heavy cream), various produce, frozen wild-caught fish, canned salmon/tuna/sardines, dark chocolate (when i'm indulging)... there's lots of good stuff, but yes, check labels... lots of hidden gluten/veggie oils. i've pretty much given up on anything pre-packaged (from there or anywhere else).

Comment

hope they get kosher grass fed beef.
                  My journal where I attempt to overcome Chrohns and make good food as well

Comment

I really like TJ Raw Milk Cheese; grass fed beef; drumsticks; and their sausages.
                    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

I like their uncured bacon! and what a great nut selection they have.
                      Health is Wealth!

Comment

raw unsalted almond butter. you can get creamy or crunchy

i went primal in feb 2010
                        200lbs
                        37% body fat
                        38-40 waist

1 year to the day
                        140lbs
                        7.8% body fat
                        29 waist

currently
                        137lbs
                        7% body fat
                        29 waist

Comment

Ooo, thanks guys! They used to have this awesome apricot stilton that I liked. I hope they still have it. Cream...oh yes. I like their whipped cream cheese too. I'm trying to lose weight and while I don't like reduced fat products (there's always added junk), I like that the whipped stuff is lighter and doesn't sacrifice much in taste.

Comment

think healthy fat not low fat

i went primal in feb 2010
                            200lbs
                            37% body fat
                            38-40 waist

1 year to the day
                            140lbs
                            7.8% body fat
                            29 waist

currently
                            137lbs
                            7% body fat
                            29 waist

Comment

I LOVE TJ's Their salsas -the jarred Salsa authentica and salsa verde are both super yummy with eggs or with taco salads.

I also scored the bacon ends for 2.99! My pack had lots of odd size peices though, so I think i'll chop it before cooking next time so it will cook more evenly. I also always get Kerrygold butter (although I also pick up Organic pastures pasture butter every time I'm at WF lately because you can't get it in winter)

One of my fave compromise comvenience foods are their smoked turkey/chicken sausages. We love the apple and chardonay and the anduille. Have a pesto in the fridge but haven't tried them yet. Having a not super perishable and no thawing necessary protein saves me after evening workouts.

I have never been satisfied with the texture of frozen fish but I do get the wild salmon to poach and make into patties or have with salads.

And of course the nuts. And the greek yogurt. I tend to go overboard with that one, it's like eating straight sour cream it's so mild and rich. My TJ's has only ultra-p fresh dairy so the yogurt is all I get from that section.

Comment

Working...
                              X