Not losing weight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not losing weight

I have been doing primal for 22 days almost a month an I have only lost 5lbs I am getting quite frustrated and a little hopeless. I feel that I should have lost a lot more wight, plus I am breast feeding which should be a bonus in the wight loss department @ the beginning I lost all craving for surfer wheat etc but it is slowly comming back. I have been having bread on weekends and I probably eat too many almonds and I dabbeled in some pretzels a few days but besides that I'm pretty much primal probably could pick up the excersize a notch walk about 30min every day have 3 month and a 2yr old, so I am constantly picking them up etc. And I'm 44yrs old. Just really feel like the wieght should be dropping off of me, frustrated !!!!!!!

You are healing, which your body will prioritize over losing weight. Also, you are breastfeeding! Cut yourself a break and throw away the scale. The important thing is not how much you weigh, but how you feel. (Stop eating the bread, too. You're hamstringing yourself.)
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

5lb in 22 days is a great weight loss, especially considering that you are having bread, ptzels and lots of almonds!

Primal isn't about calories in vs calories out, it's about making changes to the hormonal functioning of your body by adjusting your diet.

You can carry on as you are and have a respectable weightloss of just under 2lb per week as that seems to be working ok for you, or you can do primal properly (drop the bread, pretzels and cut down on nuts) and see what that does for you. I doubt you can do primal + bread and have the weight fall off!
      My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

Comment

I agree with the above, relax. If you stick to it, you will be getting healthier and losing is easier.

If you want to lose faster, you must cut the carbs.

Don't put pressure on yourself to exercise it off.

I lost 120 lb in a year sitting still.

Comment

In addition to what's already been mentioned, keep in mind that for women in their 40s weight never 'just falls off.' The metabolism begins to slow from 40 onwards.

Moreover, everyone responds differently to nursing. I've known women who lost weight effortlessly when nursing and other who had difficulty losing anything until they'd finished nursing.

Given your menu, the amount you've lost is good!

Comment

If you're eating more protein now than you were before then your body is restoring your muscle mass, which adds weight. Likely you've lost more than 5lbs of fat, you just can't see that on the scale because of the added muscle. Too often people focus on weightloss and not fatloss. Try measuring your bod and tracking losses that way.

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
              In addition to what's already been mentioned, keep in mind that for women in their 40s weight never 'just falls off.' The metabolism begins to slow from 40 onwards.

Moreover, everyone responds differently to nursing. I've known women who lost weight effortlessly when nursing and other who had difficulty losing anything until they'd finished nursing.

Given your menu, the amount you've lost is good!
              +1
              Robin
              ~primal mama to 3~

Comment

Don't worry about it. Making positive change to your diet is a good start!

When I started out a few weeks back I lost 4lbs with a few days, then nothing for about 2 weeks, I was stuck at that weight, but I felt good. As in really really good. My weight has gone down now, but just chill out and enjoy how good PB can make you feel, the weight loss will come.

Also, ditch the bread, you aren't doing yourself any favours.
                My Primal Journal

Comment

Paleo isn't necessarily a weight loss diet. Calories still matter (despite what folks say). Sounds like you're eating at maintenance. You've lost some water weight initially (as most paleo dieters do), now comes the hard part, losing the fat. Building muscle is not easy for anybody, so it's not likely your lower-than-expected loss is due to "bulking" up.

Comment

I only lose about 5 pounds a month, but since January I've lost 4 inches off my waist, 3 off my hips, and 2 off my chest. I am a scale addict but I am slowly learning to not use it as the sole measure of my progress. I feel much better overall, and I am actually starting to look halfway decent. You're not going to see precipitous losses like you would if you were doing the starvation diets of Weight Watchers and the like, but then again, this one is much, much easier to maintain and much better for you.

Comment

Stressing about it, and putting pressure on yourself, is a sure-fire way to fail at the PB. Relax and breathe. Eat well, get a little exercise and good things will happen ... for you and for your babies

I'm nearly 49 (had a baby at 38) and since starting the PB at the beginning of March, I'm down 15 lbs ... or 5 lbs a month, which is the rate that you're losing at. I'm really happy with this because I thought at my age that I'd be stuck being fat forever.
                      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                      CW: 146.8 lbs
                      GW 140 lbs
                      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Frustrated also.

I am also frustrated with no weight loss. I am a 63 year old woman who needs to lose 50 pounds. I am only 5 foot tall and 197 lbs. I have been doing the primal thing for about 3 months now and have stopped gaining but no loss. I feel like this probably only works for younger people. The more frustrated I get, the more I just want to say "to _ _ _ _ with it" and just go back to normal eating. I had my hip replaced 2 years ago, which left one foot numb and the leg somewhat stiff and sore. Walking for short periods at a slow pace is possible, but anything more than a slow pace is hard on the foot and back. I've been doing yoga for stretching, which helps the leg somewhat. After the hip replacement, I gained 30 pounds in 2 years. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction for an older person. I'm not seeing real success stories of older people.

Comment

Jayne, there are members here who are older than you, and apparently doing well, so I don't see any reason for you to not see success

Post a day's menu and we can critique it for you. Also, even with leg issues, there's no reason you can't get a set of dumbbells (start with light ones) and do some upper body exercise. Every little bit helps!
                          Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                          Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                          CW: 146.8 lbs
                          GW 140 lbs
                          A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Originally posted by emmie View Post
                            Not trying to be contrary here.
                            In my own personal experience, I'm losing weight/fat with much more ease than I ever have in my life, and I'm 45.
                            It saddens me that women limit themselves by accepting this generalization.
                            I think it may hold true for many that weight loss becomes more difficult after a certain age or stage in life, but I think
                            that's over simplifying it. People who spend decades breaking down their bodies are going to have a more difficult time
                            at anything, not just weight loss. The human body is an amazing work of art, and strives to maintain itself and it's health
                            beyond what most of us can comprehend. Give your body what it needs to do what it's designed to do, and watch how
                            wonderfully it responds! Don't limit yourself and end up a victim of self fulfilling prophecy.
                            "You can always do more than you think you can !" Sensei Scash

Comment

just stick it out. whatever you do. stick it out. remember its the little things that count. im not saying your doing these things but handfuls and spoonfuls and cheating here and there going off the grid (blueprint) adds up. it really does add up. alot of people reward themselves in the heat of the moment thinking it wont matter because they are doing to good or they can just burn it off later, thats the wrong way to think! flat out, the wrong way. dont put it in your mouth.

people, it has to get to a point where you just change your belief system of what works and what doesnt. the little licks of ice cream or spoonfulls of rice or a piece of bread or a tall glass of juice or homemade cookie your friend made, the bag of chips at 711, the candy bar fundraiser your co-worker is selling, the diet soda sip. all the little things has to stop then you can say if the blueprint works or not!

i went primal in feb 2010
                              200lbs
                              37% body fat
                              38-40 waist

1 year to the day
                              140lbs
                              7.8% body fat
                              29 waist

currently
                              137lbs
                              7% body fat
                              29 waist