Pork Rinds/Skins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Rinds/Skins

Are pork rinds/skins acceptable food for primal eating?

I think they are as long as there aren't any other weird ingredients in there.

Comment

It depends on how "caveman" you want to go.
      They wern't eating pork rinds, but they were eating wild pigs.
      I wouldn't use them as a staple food, but a treat once in awhile should be ok (if you're not super strict with your food rules)

Comment

Yum. I love them. If they help keep you on track then that is a good thing. Just watch for additives as stated above.
        Primal since 9/24/2010
        "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
        MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Make sure you read all the labels. Most of the commercial packaged Pork Rinds have a lot of preservatives and MSG. Best make your own Cracklins. Pork skin fried in it's own rendered fat is pretty awesome.
          Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

There are some commercial ones that are just pork rinds and salt. Smithfield Original is one if I remember correctly. Good stuff.

Comment

These are pretty good (follow link). You're in Northern California so you can find these at Lucky and Safeway for $2. I think the ingredients are pork skins, pork fat and some salt. Not a good staple as somebody already stated, but a great snack with salsa...mmmmmmm.
              http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/p...1206101609.jpg

Comment

Most plain / "original" pork rinds are nothing but pork skin and salt. I've actually yet to see a brand with ingredients beyond those. Buy them and flavor them yourself if you want to. I go through three or four bags a month, they're great for when you're still a little hungry after a meal.
                Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 05-31-2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

They are great for guacamole or any other dip as well. When you have that cravin' for somethin' crunchy they do the trick. Great for parties.

Comment

Especially good as carriers for butter pats.
                    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                      These are pretty good (follow link). You're in Northern California so you can find these at Lucky and Safeway for $2. I think the ingredients are pork skins, pork fat and some salt. Not a good staple as somebody already stated, but a great snack with salsa...mmmmmmm.
                      http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/p...1206101609.jpg
                      Thanks. These are the ones I usually buy. I use them mainly to get egg salad and tuna salad into my mouth! I love them.

Comment

I'm glad to see 'rinds as ok! I loved it when my dad made his own version.
                        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Any tips on how to make them yourself? My meat guy at the market's going to give me a few pounds of pig skin tomorrow but I'm not sure how to prepare it.
                          Start weight - 193lbs March 21st
                          Current weight - 181lbs June 1st
                          Goal weight - 145lbs

"The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off." Gloria Steinem

My Primal Journey BLOG

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                            Especially good as carriers for butter pats.
                            I thought I was the only one who did this! I just thought one day "these could use some more fat" (because really, alot of the fat renders out) so I topped them with a few slices of butter. Totally delicious. Sometimes I add hot sauce too: Buffalo pork skins!

Comment

I second all of the uses mentioned here, but wanted to add that they're especially tasty scoopers of egg salad and great as croutons in big assed salads! When I still did the dairy thing, I had a field day with the endless possibilities of pork rinds, cream cheese, cinnamon and my beloved liquid stevia. Now that I'm TOTALLY hooked on coconut oil, coconut butter and coconut manna (this stuff is DANGEROUSLY GOOD!), I will begin to concoct again.......
                              Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Comment

Working...
                              X