Black beans in a can. Good or not?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black beans in a can. Good or not?

I see the label and it says about 13g carbs per serving. 6g protein and 400mg sodium. Someone told me black beans were primal. Are they? Thanks!

I think black beans (when fermented - from what I've read) are a lesser among legumes. But, make sure there's only black beans left in the ingredient inventory. You'd go to a market, next thing you see is mayo made with soybean oil......
    If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

As far as I know black beans not primal. I think they are the lowest carb bean.

Comment

Legumes aren't primal. Like issanjose said, they're not as bad for you if they are fermented or sprouted. Canned beans aren't. Plus most canned beans have BPA in them from the can lining, which is an endocrine disruptor. So if you're going to choose to eat them anyway, I'd advise you to get some dry beans and ferment or sprout them yourself.

According to this site, 100g of cooked black beans has 24g of carbs. 9g is fiber, so that would be 15g net carbs but Primal counts total carb, not net. Still, it's not a level of starch that would be hard to work into your diet even if you're trying to lose weight. It wouldn't be my personal choice for a carb source, though.

Comment

Eden Foods soaks its beans and cans them in non-BPA cans.

Beans are not ideal but "OK" per Mark. More
          Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
            Eden Foods soaks its beans and cans them in non-BPA cans.

Beans are not ideal but "OK" per Mark. More
            Soaking eliminates a little phytic acid but not much. Sprouting removes quite a bit more and fermenting is best. At least according to the folks over at the Weston A. Price Foundation.

Comment

Phytic acid is of minimal concern unless you're eating them constantly.

Comment

Originally posted by cassel_man View Post
                Phytic acid is of minimal concern unless you're eating them constantly.
                I eat beans a couple times a week. Not going to worry about it. We walk a ridge between two slippery slopes - cheating and orthorexia.
                Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                  I eat beans a couple times a week. Not going to worry about it. We walk a ridge between two slippery slopes - cheating and orthorexia.
                  Bingo. The dose makes the poison. A single serving of most foods isn't going to have drastic effects on health.

Comment

Originally posted by cassel_man View Post
                    Bingo. The dose makes the poison. A single serving of most foods isn't going to have drastic effects on health.
                    +1000
                    Jaime, wife to Phaedrus and primal mama to A (4) and X (1).

Comment

I was eating them regularly thinking they were primal. As of no today, no more black beans. Thanks all for the quick info. I appreciate it. I'm sure I will have many more questions as I try to go primal.

Comment

Working...
                      X