Iron & Constipation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iron & Constipation

I've been supplementing iron for about a week and have noticed that I have been constipated a lot lately. Have any of you noticed this and found anything to help?
    Georgette

I get my iron from cast iron cookware and sometimes from Floradix, neither of which cause any blockages.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by lizch View Post
      I get my iron from cast iron cookware and sometimes from Floradix, neither of which cause any blockages.
      I wish I used cast iron cookware but I have horrible luck seasoning them and keeping them clean so I don't even use them. Never heard of floradix.
      Georgette

Comment

Quite some time ago, I was on very high doses of iron to try to correct a severe anemia problem. I got constipated, my stomach hurt, it was pretty much awful. I did slightly better when I switched to Slow-Fe, a slow release form, but it really did a number on my digestive tract. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease
        Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineC View Post
          Quite some time ago, I was on very high doses of iron to try to correct a severe anemia problem. I got constipated, my stomach hurt, it was pretty much awful. I did slightly better when I switched to Slow-Fe, a slow release form, but it really did a number on my digestive tract. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease
          Other than switching, was there anything else that you could do to help out with the constipation?
          Georgette

Comment

Are you iron deficient? You had a blood test?

Comment

Originally posted by geostump View Post
              Other than switching, was there anything else that you could do to help out with the constipation?
              I seem to recall drinking alot of orange juice, eating alot of liver and brussel sprouts (I love brussel sprouts), and just suffering through it The only suggestions I have is a water increase, or a fat increase - one will make you float and you'll still be constipated, and I'm guessing your fat intake is already good.
              Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

I already drink a gallon of water a day, I don't touch fruit at all let alone juices, I do eat a lot of cruciferous/green leafy veggies and I am iron deficient. I went to give blood today and they won't let me give me blood because my iron is way low. Always has been. I bought iron a few weeks ago suspecting this to be so.
                Georgette

Comment

Try Natural Calm Magnesium supplement. It is a powder that gets oxidized in hot water so it absorbs better. It should help you get things moving and keep them that way. My Mom was put on colace to counteract her iron pills, so sometimes she was constipated and sometimes she was the opposite, but there was no happy medium. I put her on Natural Calm and everything is regulating nicely. ; )
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                  MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

I know that calcium interferes with iron absorption, so I wonder if magnesium might too? Probably best to take them at opposite ends of the day, just in case.

And on the subject of seasoning cast iron: the trick for me has been to not really wash the pan, other than a rinse in water, and maybe a gentle once-over with a scrubbing pad every now and then. And never ever allowing egg anywhere near it
                    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I know that calcium interferes with iron absorption, so I wonder if magnesium might too? Probably best to take them at opposite ends of the day, just in case.
                      Good thought, My Mom and I usually take Natural Calm at night and she takes her iron in the morning. I only get iron in my multi also in the AM.
                      Primal since 9/24/2010
                      "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                      MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

And on the subject of seasoning cast iron: the trick for me has been to not really wash the pan, other than a rinse in water, and maybe a gentle once-over with a scrubbing pad every now and then. And never ever allowing egg anywhere near it
                        I just bought all new cookware this past March. I always remember my mom complaining about cast iron being a pain in the ass to work with and when I was 5 I think she switched to non-stick and I've never used anything but. Not sure if when or if I will ever try cast iron.
                        Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by Mica
                          Do you eat much in the way of red meat and organ meats? And adding a vitamin C supplement to all meals containing iron-rich foods would help absorb it. I have iron-deficiency issues too, I avoid the supplements as long as possible because they just don't work out. The most-tolerable iron I have used was ferrous gluconate, behind the counter at the pharmacy (it's a mega-dose of iron). All others give me stomach upset. But like I said, I try to eat tons of red meat instead.
                          I do but I'm still deficient, more red meat, not organ meats. The only organ meat I can handle is chicken livers. Don't know how beneficial that is for iron deficiency. Been that way since birth for the most part. I take vitamin C with my iron pill as it contains Vit C.
                          Georgette

Comment

One other thought: do you FEEL anemic? When I was anemic last year, I was experiencing restless legs, so it felt right to address that. Not sure I'd have done it if it was simply a lab test that showed anemia. If you've been like that since birth, and you've been healthy, maybe it's just how your body runs?
                            Liz.

Comment

Lots of people have this problem. I've had to supplement iron most of my life, and happily did not get this issue. My issue is if I don't have enough food in my stomach and take iron, I get nauseated for a couple hours.
                              This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                              Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Working...
                              X