June Whole30

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June Whole30

I haven't done a Whole30 challenge yet - have been focused on sorting my IBS issues. Now that I'm (mostly) stable on paleo/primal, I want to clean up some 'additive' cheats and manage stress better.

Anyone care to join me? Just add your goals and starting point.

My goals:
    • abstain from sugar in all processed forms
    • abstain from sauces etc that have gluten in them
    • limit fruit to berries only, but have as many as I want
    • track stress levels
    • track quality and quantity of sleep
    • daily diaphragmatic breathing
    • daily play

Starting point: waist = 112cm
    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

I'll play. Been planning on doing one for June anyway. Here's my major goals:

Clean 30 days (no sugar, no grain, no beans, no dairy, minimal fruit), plus:
    No vegetable/seed oils (making it impossible to eat out!)
    Exercise 3x week (even if it's only a walk)
    Complete 4 weeks of the 100 pushups program

I don't really have any goals for the month weight wise, I'd love to loose some of my belly, but am mostly in it as a "re-boot" and to see what effect no dairy will have.

Right now I'm trying to talk myself into eating sushi for dinner LOL

Comment

Me too

My goal is no dairy. I'm happy with my diet otherwise but man, can I put away that heavy cream. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Edited to add - also, no weighing myself for the month. I'm worried I'm obsessing over the scale.

Comment

I'm a day ahead here, so it's 3pm on June 1st for me. Really funny that on my first day of restricting fruit there have been posts by Denise Minger and Free the Animal talking about how fruit can be good for you . Makes me feel better about my plan to reintroduce them later on and see if they still send my cravings through the roof - there is hope .

Food so far today

B: rooibos tea
        L: 5 chicken drumsticks

Sleep: disturbed as I have an aching leg from walking on Sunday.
        Stress: fairly high. NOT taking the computer home tonight, so that'll help
        Breathing: 2 sessions so far - I feel my body relaxing into it
        Play: nothing yet - but I did get my hair done, does that count?
        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Count me in! I've been off of dairy for a week now and have finally started losing weight again.
          So for me...
          *Sugar and grain free
          *Dairy free
          *Reducing fat (I think I was over-doing the fat. I needed it at the very beginning, but it was time to cut back. So I'm trying that for the month of June. We'll see...)
          *All fresh-prepared, whole foods.

ETA: And I definitely think getting your hair done counts for play! A good hair stylist is so much better than a massuese. ;-)

Comment

Yay! I've been planning a Whole30 for June for a couple weeks, nice to see other members doing the same

Goals for June:
            -shutting the eating valve off at 7 every evening, turn on again around noon
            -no cheese, yogurt, milk - dairy turns me into a ravenous monster
            -no packaged (non-whole) food
            -no bread/pastry stuff. Will have to make an exception for a birthday celebration this month :/
            -sleep well!

Comment

Oh darn, I'm in once I move! It's hard to star as "whole" as I'd like while still living with my parents.
              Although, I'm sort of already on it...

My "whole":
              Avoid ALL possible souces of gluten
              No fruit
              No dairy (a little butter; planning on trying ghee)
              No sweeteners (I'm gonna stay on this)
              Limited nuts, nightshades (I have a suspicion that tomatoes bloat me up!) and tamari
              Eat whole foods (i.e. not making wannabe CW foods like coconut ice cream, baking etc.)
              Try to sleep those ~8 hours (although that seems to suck for me lately...)
              Have a somewhat therapeutic dose of n-3s (preferably around 10g)

I think that's it...
              Last edited by Bissen; 06-01-2011, 12:00 AM.

Comment

I don't get it. I googled it and it's about making a commitment to change for 30 days.

I started my changes in Aug 2007. What would be the point in saying in Sep "there I did it?"

Just make the changes and ignore the calendar.

Comment

Whole30

Ooh I'll join in! I've started and stopped a Whole30 (whole9 style) a couple of times and not been able to stick to more than 2 weeks without drinking. I am very close to being exactly where I want to be - weight wise, but I could use a boost. I'm pretty primal otherwise - I stay away from all grains, dairy and processed oils, but I struggle with too much chocolate, too many nuts ...

My Whole30 goals:
                  No diet coke, which has crept back into my life recently
                  No more than 1 square of 85% chocolate, no more than a couple times a week
                  Limit nut consumption - no more than a few/day, if any
                  No sugary cocktails - Red wine if I must, but only one glass or a bloody mary if I really must, but I'll try to avoid alcohol altogether
                  More variety of veg/meat in my lunches
                  Lift heavy things 3 times/week

Goal to lose 5lbs and/or what's left of my belly!

Comment

@ Bissen, I recommend making ghee. It's super easy and makes everything taste amazing. I've been making it once every couple of weeks since I gave up dairy. Giving up milk in my tea and coffee was easy compared to figuring out what to cook with if I couldn't have butter and I was a little scared of making it at first, but you keep it on such a low heat there's no chance of burning it and/or setting the house on fire.

Ghee Butter | How to Make Ghee From Butter
                    Last edited by AAMonty; 06-01-2011, 01:15 AM.

Comment

@ Bissen, I recommend making ghee. It's super easy and makes everything taste amazing. I've been making it once every couple of weeks since I gave up dairy. Giving up milk in my tea and coffee was easy compared to figuring out what to cook with if I couldn't have butter and I was a little scared of making it at first, but you keep it on such a low heat there's no chance of burning it and/or setting the house on fire.

Ghee Butter | How to Make Ghee From Butter

Comment

I'm in! I'm cutting out dairy altogether (I was almost there anyway). I 'm also testing eggs, to be sure they aren't causing inflammation. The rest of Whole30 seems to be what I'm already doing (grain, legumes). No Stevia in my morning coffee is kind of rough, I don't know on that one. =p Good luck all!!
                        No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.
                        -Buddha

Comment

I'm in.

I hate when people say I'm going to do a Whole30 EXCEPT I'm going to still eat blah, blah, and blah. However, I must put throw out the caveat that I have a couple of occasions in June where I am already planning to have some alcohol - my cousin's wedding for one. So, no sugar, sweeteners, dairy, etc. for me --it will be a traditional whole30 with a couple wine indulgences.

So, now I'm an "I'm gonna do whole30 except... " person myself!

Good luck all!
                          My journal

Comment

I think one of the problems with the Whole30 idea is setting unachievable goals and then feeling like a failure when you make a mistake. The true Whole30 is extremely strict, one sip of milk and you have to start all over. For me this is about improving my diet and behaviour over a month in a way that I can maintain long term. For some, a true Whole30 is something they can stick to, but I'd rather not feel like a failure and set myself targets that are challenging but doable.

Comment

Originally posted by AAMonty View Post
                              I think one of the problems with the Whole30 idea is setting unachievable goals and then feeling like a failure when you make a mistake. The true Whole30 is extremely strict, one sip of milk and you have to start all over. For me this is about improving my diet and behaviour over a month in a way that I can maintain long term. For some, a true Whole30 is something they can stick to, but I'd rather not feel like a failure and set myself targets that are challenging but doable.
                              +1!

I'm in too!
                              Abstaining from Grains, Sugar, Fruit, and Dairy.
                              Not a big dark chocolate fan, so giving that up is easy.
                              No Diet Soda (but I think I'll keep Carbonated water so I don't go crazy. )
                              Goal: Is to get back on the band wagon, and stay there.

Comment

Working...
                              X