Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Buckwheat & Quinoa Non Harmful? Better than Potatoes? Citrus Fruits?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Buckwheat & Quinoa Non Harmful? Better than Potatoes? Citrus Fruits?

My open mindedness continues...

I started a thread on legumes and decided to stick with not eating them. If they are prepared by someone else then I may enjoy a couple bites. Nothing more.

Now I am curious about buckwheat and quinoa. Both are NOT a grain. Both are a seed. They seem to be low in lectins like phytic acid but I am not entirely sure on this. They are carby but are less carby then citrus fruits and POTATOES.

Buckwheat is a rich source of magnesium, a mineral that about 90% of the population is deficient in. Many groks and grokkets take a magnesium supplement.

So, experts... would buckwheat and/or quinoa be a good substitute for potatoes (specifically white), white rice and most citrus fruits?

As of this moment... I believe so.
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

I think this is something that we have to figure out individually, as each of us is going to react differently to these foods. I LOVE quinoa, but at the moment I'm avoiding it because it's more than my starch-sensitive system can handle frequently. Some people may not be as sensitive, but it tends to throw me into a carb-craving cycle, and if I eat more than a tiny bit my digestive system starts to feel icky. There's no right answer here, so I say try it out and see how your body reacts.
    We must learn to do what the leaf and the whale and the wind do of their own nature. We must learn to keep the balance. Having intelligence, we must not act in ignorance. Having choice, we must not act without responsibility
    -Sparrowhawk, The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. LeGuin

Comment

I do well on all seeds, so I just might try them. (buckwheat pancakes...nom). I have no plans to replace my beloved taters with them though
      I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
      Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
      "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Todd, I was just going to post this question today! Great minds?

A vegetarian friend of mine cooked us dinner a few nights ago and prepared quinoa, broccoli, and all-natural chicken sausages for her meat-eating hubby and us. I ate a few bites to be a good guest, which wasn't hard to do since I do love quinoa and she prepared it fantastically. It didn't disrupt my sensitive digestive system at all, so yay for that. However, I did peek at the package and it is, expectedly, very high in carbs. Since I'm currently trying to go VLC and I couldn't find very much justifiable nutritive value, I'll keep it in my personal "grey area." But it's great to have on hand for carby friends and relatives.

Both buckwheat and quinoa are considered "pseudocereals." As for anti-nutrients, I would really like to hear more about it also.
        My blog, The Overflowing Pantry

Primal-esque since Feb 2010
        100% Primal since May 2011 (again)

Comment

I just made these buckwheat crepes (aka pancakes) and they were very good. Suprisingly low in carbs (only 17g per 1/4 cup batter). I added an egg and some olive oil and stevia to the mixture just before cooking. Ate them with pureed strawberries and whipped cream. I had them two mornings in a row. No digestive complaints, bloating, or weight gain, nor did I get that blood sugar crash feeling like I do with wheat. I didn't measure my blood sugar though, just a subjective assessment.
          Last edited by bokbadok; 05-29-2011, 06:14 PM.
          42 yo female; 5'8"
          Oct 2009: 205 lbs
          Dec 2010: 167 lbs
          Current weight: 158 lbs (first time under 160 in 17 years!!!)
          Goal weight: 145 lbs

Comment

That would be alot of quinoa and buckwheat going down the gullet to get your daily magnesium supplements. Especially if you workout somewhat often, which depletes your mag. Furthermore, I personally don't want to get in the habit of eating any type of high carb food, because for the past 10 months of primal eating, I love having no pressure to work out because of my low carb diet. And my body looks better than ever because of it. Working out less, has allowed me to workout more consistently. No 3 or 4 week gaps in working out from burning out. Sorry, getting off track here, but that was my point. I know about the amino acids and good nutrient profile of quinoa, but it still is loaded with carbs, and I can't justify taking those carbs on.

Comment

I don't think they taste all that great, anymore (lost my taste for pancakes etc. a while ago). I had some buckwheat flour but I only used it like twice. I'm curious about the argument FOR eating them, actually, are they healthier than alternatives like veg and tubers? Do they taste extra-yummy to people?
              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I couldn't get used to red (forgot the name) quinoa. I might try buckwheat one of these days. A good friend of mine at the gym at which I work out pointed out he'd use these since he's pretty active.
                If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by Renegade Yogurt View Post
                  Todd, I was just going to post this question today! Great minds?

A vegetarian friend of mine cooked us dinner a few nights ago and prepared quinoa, broccoli, and all-natural chicken sausages for her meat-eating hubby and us. I ate a few bites to be a good guest, which wasn't hard to do since I do love quinoa and she prepared it fantastically. It didn't disrupt my sensitive digestive system at all, so yay for that. However, I did peek at the package and it is, expectedly, very high in carbs. Since I'm currently trying to go VLC and I couldn't find very much justifiable nutritive value, I'll keep it in my personal "grey area." But it's great to have on hand for carby friends and relatives.

Both buckwheat and quinoa are considered "pseudocereals." As for anti-nutrients, I would really like to hear more about it also.
                  You say they are high in carb. If you compare 100 calories of potato or any citrus fruit with 100 calories of quinoa then your viewpoint will change significantly. If I ever eat it then it will be a small amount - around 100 cals. This provides 20 grams of carbs - 4 from fiber. Its a complete protein and is full of nutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by bokbadok View Post
                    I just made these buckwheat crepes (aka pancakes) and they were very good. Suprisingly low in carbs (only 17g per 1/4 cup batter). I added an egg and some olive oil and stevia to the mixture just before cooking. Ate them with pureed strawberries and whipped cream. I had them two mornings in a row. No digestive complaints, bloating, or weight gain, nor did I get that blood sugar crash feeling like I do with wheat. I didn't measure my blood sugar though, just a subjective assessment.
                    Thanks for the recipe! I just bookmarked it and will make the crepes in the future when I buy buckwheat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle46N View Post
                      That would be alot of quinoa and buckwheat going down the gullet to get your daily magnesium supplements. Especially if you workout somewhat often, which depletes your mag. Furthermore, I personally don't want to get in the habit of eating any type of high carb food, because for the past 10 months of primal eating, I love having no pressure to work out because of my low carb diet. And my body looks better than ever because of it. Working out less, has allowed me to workout more consistently. No 3 or 4 week gaps in working out from burning out. Sorry, getting off track here, but that was my point. I know about the amino acids and good nutrient profile of quinoa, but it still is loaded with carbs, and I can't justify taking those carbs on.
                      Do you eat bananas? Other citrus fruits? What about potatoes?

When you compare 100 calories to 100 calories, buckwheat and quinoa has less carbs. More nutrition too! Oh, and as far as I know, LESS lectins compared to potatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                        I don't think they taste all that great, anymore (lost my taste for pancakes etc. a while ago). I had some buckwheat flour but I only used it like twice. I'm curious about the argument FOR eating them, actually, are they healthier than alternatives like veg and tubers? Do they taste extra-yummy to people?
                        I'd say they are not healthier than veggies. But, they seem to be healthier than tubers.

Comment

I've been thinking about this too as I need to add some starches to my diet. Googling it I came across a paleo article saying quinoa is very high in saponins and bad for the gut. Sorry I can't find the link. Buckwheat I'm not sure.

I'm wary as when I went primal I noticed a shoulder soreness I'd had for years went away. I cut grains at that point, and already was free of all gluten grains, oats and corn. So the only grains I was eating were rice, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, amaranth. Cutting those got rid of the shoulder inflammation. Unless it was cutting seed oils that did it, but I wasn't using much of those anyway so it seems unlikely. Oh and legumes as well, I was eating kidney beans and lentil regularly. Something amongst those caused inflammation and it wasn't the traditional nasties as I'd been off those for 18 months already.

I'm not keen on experimenting at the moment as I'm still dealing with a fair amount of issues and not wanting to worsen anything. But I'm going to get very bored if I am eating potato and sweet potato at every meal!
                          Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                          Harold Whitman

Comment

Re: quinoa and saponins, they are all on the surface of the seed and it does need thorough rinsing before you eat it. As far as I know, that's all that's needed though. Red quinoa and white quinoa taste different from each other--my preference is for the red, but only once in a blue moon.

Regarding, buckwheat, I like the groats fermented (I soak for 24+ hours, until it gets a bit bubbly) and cooked. I'm not so fond of the taste of the flour. So if you decide to try buckwheat and don't like the flour, you might try the groats.

Comment

Originally posted by Primal Toad View Post
                              I'd say they are not healthier than veggies. But, they seem to be healthier than tubers.
                              Quinoa is healthier than organic carrots and sweet potatoes, or healthier than white spuds? Tubers are vegetables, so your assertion is logically invalid, just to be a bit of a prick.
                              If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Working...
                              X