Meat Rots in the Intestines!!! Quacky Dr. Oz

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meat Rots in the Intestines!!! Quacky Dr. Oz

So a few years ago I caught an episode of Oprah where Dr. Oz was on talking about how (gasp!) any meat that you ingest essentially sits and rots in your intestines and isn't digested in a useful way. Oh, and it stops you up - slows the movement of food through your body. If I recall, this is a popular assertion of vegetarians and vegans.

I've googled trying to find evidence to support or deny this but so far I haven't found anything other than short snippets saying "this is false." No more detailed explanation (though maybe none is needed).

For the record, I think it's bull. I'm positive our bodies are capable of digesting meat but I can't find support of it. Anyone have explanations or know of resources I can go to?

Basically, when people make claims like this, it is up to them to prove it, not their opponents to disprove it. There is no reason to believe that meat rots in the intestine unless there was empirical evidence that it does. Since that empirical evidence does not exist, it probably doesn't exist.

To be honest, I bet no one takes the time to disprove it because it is such a stupid claim.

Comment

Propaganda rots in your brain

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

A Buddhist I once was acquainted with tried to sell me on vegetarianism and said this same thing and I had to stop him mid-sentence in protest. I said that theory went against the science I had learned: acid in the stomach denaturing the meat protein, enzymes breaking down the meat immediately. Yeah, protein will move slower through the stomach than carbs because protein starts to get broken down in the stomach whereas most of the carb digestion takes place in the small intestine so it makes sense that our bodies would want to slow down the progression of proteins through the GI tract.

Comment

Wait, isn't "rotting" just the process of bacteria digesting food? How could food be rotting yet remain intact enough to clog up the works? The two claims seem contradictory.

Comment

I know people who believe this. I've googled this as well for evidence and didn't really find anything. I have read a couple of (high level) anatomy books and my understanding is the muscles lining the intestines move in a wave like rhythm, and EVERYTHING moves along at the same pace.

Comment

Wasn't there someone who didn't go to the bathroom for 3 weeks on a carnivore diet?

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
              ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

There are a couple of different layers of muscle to the the intestines and there are different muscle movements during the digestion food. At times, there will be segmental contractions so that the food gets pushed back and forth, helping to mush it up and mix it with your digestive enzymes. Then there are also the wave-like moments to help move things along.

I&#39;m pretty sure that constipation happens in all sorts of diets and there are many causes - dehydration, malfunctioning bowel, drugs.

Comment

In "Men Against The Sea" they recorded they didn&#39;t poop at all either. Apparently sailing 3600 miles in a row boat plugs you up.

Comment

I&#39;ve heard this one from vegetarians and vegans, as well as some proponents of "alkaline-only" diets. I have no idea where anyone arrived at this conclusion.

It does make sense that meat takes longer to digest than some other foods, but how is that a bad thing?

If you&#39;re using time spent in the intestines as the gauge of how healthy a food is, then the "healthiest" food would be sugar water, as it&#39;s digested and enters the bloodstream almost instantly.

Ridiculous!

Comment

The reason you don&#39;t poop is because most of it gets digested. Protein gets broken down into Branch Chain Amino Acids. What is left? Nothing really. You know what does rot in your gut? Fiber. More of a ferment because it is a carb after all.

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

What I heard is that we have a long intestine and take longer than carnivores to expel the byproducts of meat digestion that have time to harm the colon or something.

Comment

A living humans intestine is only 10&#39; long due to muscle contraction. I read that in a book, I haven&#39;t actually measured.

Comment

If there is any rotting going on it seems to happen with carbohydrates like bread with me. Flatulence is pretty bad!

Comment

chima_p has it right. Meat is FULLY utilized. Not much waste can be produced from a fully utilized substrate like meat! Poop, ahem, is mainly dead bacteria and un-useable fiber. So what really sits and rots in your digestive tract is high fiber vegetable matter. The vegan/vegetarian stance of "MEAT: It&#39;s what rots in you colon" is one of willful ignorance.

Having dabbled in Zero Carb/ All Meat for months on end, and still generally living that way day to day, but for social eating of salads, and other vegetable matter for a little variety or taste (certainly not for nutrition), I am intimately acquainted with the gut functions of an all meat diet plan.

Generally a BM on long term zero carb is an every other day or second day event. It is silent, fast, clean. Not the hideous noisy, stinky, rank explosions of discomfort and trauma of so much sophomoric movie fodder. It sure makes travel and and active life a breeze. TMI? Likely. But rationally give it some thought. Never have I experienced any constipation.

Observing my dog&#39;s BM activity, as a pure carnivore, if she has daily food (rabbit, venison, squirrel, soup bones, marrow, etc) she has a daily BM, same as mine, small, very much devoid of scent, and quick. She often just "craps on the run" as Huskies get pretty adept at this running in a harnessed team. If she is voiding the remains of a kill, there is often more hair in it than anything else. Picking up after her is simple as her deposits are clean, compact and solid, dry to white powder within 24 hours. Though I&#39;ve not tried looking at mine after a day in the sun.... if I do, I will report back!

Comment

Working...
                              X