Ugh - cherries.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh - cherries.

So i must have read somewhere that cherries are ok on a low carb diet so i bought a punnet today in town. Came home feeling fine, and ate a small bowl - probably about 15-20 (I didn't count). Within half an hour I had a crash and fell asleep still holding my iPad in my hand as I was reading! This is very similar to the crashes i would get after eating wheat, where nothing could wake me for 30-60 mins, i just had to sleep it off.

I just looked up the carb content and cherries are 9.5g carbs for 10 cherries! Oooops!

And dang, because they were delicious.

Anyone else had this problem?
    My photo diary of my primal diet on wordpress

My primal journal on MDA.

My problem is going to be not eating my weight in them like I tend to do every year. I adore cherries, and they're just so fleeting.

Comment

Did you eat them with anything else? If I have any carbs it will always be with protein and a small amount of fat.
      Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
      -Paul the Apostle, 1 Cor 6:19-20

Comment

Just on their own, I didn't realise they were high in carbs-doh!

Lesson learned. Next time i will have them after a low carb meal, or with something else.

Comment

I've been trying to eat fewer at a sitting than I did before going primal. I do love them, though. I figure I get them for a month out of the year. I enjoy them while I can.

Comment

They have these big bags of pitted (so luxurious!) frozen cherries at Costco that I keep picking up & putting back because cherries are at the top of the the "dirty dozen" list. I just can't do it, all I think about is the "you vote when you buy it" line and I don't want to put that stuff in my body if I can help it. My husband hates me a little for being so militant...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammermill View Post
              Did you eat them with anything else? If I have any carbs it will always be with protein and a small amount of fat.
              +1
              WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)

Comment

20 grams of sugar puts you out? That doesn't sound normal.

Comment

Cherries never put me to sleep but they give me a good clean out!

Comment

Um, wasn't the carbs, it was melatonin.

Yahoo! Canada Answers - Do cherries contain melatonin?

Even if you had a regular variety, it still contains some.

ps - this is why, 'life is a bowl of cherries.' Not just sweet, happy and content.

Comment

20g sugar carbs wrecked you? That's less than one yoplait, you know. Maybe you were just sleepy?
                      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

I felt fine before I ate them! I have a history of crashing after eating things that don't agree with me (e.g. wheat or msg) ( although this is the first I've had since going primal). I have adrenal problems, am on prednisolone (steroid) so definitely don't have a fully functioning metabolism.

I didn't know that cherries confined melatonin. Might have to have some just before bed!
                        Last edited by Silky; 05-30-2011, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cassel_man View Post
                          20 grams of sugar puts you out? That doesn't sound normal.
                          it is if you are eating under 50g a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Melody View Post
                            it is if you are eating under 50g a day.
                            Well that's definitely not normal (the eating <50 grams of carbs per day part).

Comment

I love cherries! They're not in season here yet ... but soon
                              Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                              Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                              CW: 146.8 lbs
                              GW 140 lbs
                              A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Working...
                              X