Finally watched Fathead

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally watched Fathead

Loved it. I'm going to try to get my dad to watch it. I am so worried about him. He's probably 50 pounds overweight and eats a huge bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every morning. He's still totally stuck in conventional wisdom-- pretzels for snacks (I mean, they ARE low fat!), etc. I hope the movie is a gentle way to prod him. Thanks for the rec!
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"
    started: 113.5
    current: 109.7
    goal: my only goal right now is to get pregnant... 14 cycles and counting.
    exercise: Body by Science - loving it.

Oh and also I have to say, it makes me SO mad how much the government has lied to us. I mean, people base their LIVES off this stuff.
    Female
    31 yrs old
    5' 1"

Comment

Have you watched Tom Naughton's lecture called Big Fat Fiasco? YouTube - ‪Big Fat Fiasco pt. 1‬‏ It's in 3 parts. I think it's even better than the movie.

Comment

Just watched it about a month ago and loved it too.
        Durp.

Comment

Fathead is what led me to this site and eating this way.

Comment

Fathead got my husband on board, and since we are doing it together... We've both done incredibly well. I always tell everyone I know to watch it.. haha I'm probably annoying.
            Proud Bangmaid since August 2009

Comment

I haven't watched it yet. I will watch it tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by dragonmamma View Post
                Have you watched Tom Naughton's lecture called Big Fat Fiasco? YouTube - ‪Big Fat Fiasco pt. 1‬‏ It's in 3 parts. I think it's even better than the movie.
                Thanks for the recommendation! I immediately opened it on Youtube and finished it now.

It was exactly like watching Gary Taubes' lecture on Youtube (and reading his Why We Get Fat book) with one little exception: It was made more entertaining and simpler and the the introduction on science was very eye-opening.

Comment

Watched the movie after hearing of it here. Loved it. Going to watch the linked videos above now...
                  -James
                  Just a n00b

Comment

Sigh ... my husband used it as justification to eat even more fast food. He's not dumb, he 'got' the message but chooses to take away only the information that junk food is is good for you.

Head.Desk. Repeat until comatose.

Comment

Originally posted by LJH View Post
                      Sigh ... my husband used it as justification to eat even more fast food. He's not dumb, he 'got' the message but chooses to take away only the information that junk food is is good for you.

What I've learned with my girlfriend is that you can't force it. I've encouraged her to make changes in the way she eats on consistent basis and what I've been able to get is that she'll be extremely emotional and upset after that. "I can't eat chocolate and desserts anymore -- the only things that don't criticize me."

She has showed much more acceptance since I've taken a very patient approach. I just educate her by talking about what's wrong with certain things and what are good and why. If my communication skills get really good, it will eventually click for her, I believe. I think that she'll also start making better choices as she sees her health getting worse. Of course, it's not something I want, because I'm all for prevention, but sometimes it's the only thing that will really help someone realize that health is important and that current lifestyle is not assisting it.

I wish she got more interested in nutrition, fitness, and health, and that I could discuss things in more detail with her. If anyone has ideas for that, I'm all ears.

It wasn't a long time ago when she had some uncomfortable issues down there. She decided to see a doctor who told her that she should avoid certain foods and get beneficial bacteria. Since then she's been drinking a lot of kefir to get probiotics and avoiding certain things such as bread. It's unfortunate that people who are close to her don't have nearly as much influence on her, because they are not formally as "smart." But as you can see, if her health shows clear signs of poor functioning, she's likely to do something about it. But if you are the one who wants your love one to make a chance, he/she will never have enough motivation. It has to be intrinsic to work.

Comment

thank you! off to do that right now
                        Female
                        31 yrs old
                        5' 1"

Comment

You're right, Risto, we can't make anyone change until they're ready and pushing it makes them all the more resistant. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though. I'll just keep doin' the Primal thing and hope he comes around eventually.

Comment

Maybe get him to watch Food, Inc., I know the parts about all the filler in most burgers cured me of any desire to eat fast food
                            My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

You're right, Risto, we can't make anyone change until they're ready and pushing it makes them all the more resistant. Doesn't make it any less frustrating though. I'll just keep doin' the Primal thing and hope he comes around eventually.
                              I know exactly what you mean; I'm frustrated as hell. I can't stand her complaining because of craving sweets. That's because her body is craving for incredible nutrients!

Comment

Working...
                              X