Having trouble letting go of CW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble letting go of CW

So I have been following the Primal lifestyle for over a year now. Diet is pretty well dialed in, I actively CrossFit 3-4 days a week, my stress management is good, life is pretty well in hand. My issue is this: I had my bloodwork done a couple of weeks ago and my cholesterol came back sky high. My total and LDL's are through the roof, HDL's are great (65). Triglycerides are fine, Blood glucose is fine, and I didn't have the test that identifies whether my LDL particles are small or large. I am aware of the research out there that points to high cholesterol possibly being cardio-protective. However, I am a nurse and CW, all my training, and all the people I currently work with, points to me dying in a matter of years from clogged arteries and an oxygen starved heart! I guess I just need some reassurance that I am doing the right thing. I look forward to all your help! Thanks in advance.

According to CW the most important measure is the total to HDL ratio:
    Blood cholesterol and vascular mortality by age, s... [Lancet. 2007] - PubMed result (the ratio total/HDL cholesterol was the strongest predictor of IHD mortality)

So even if you believe in CW you are probably fine with a HDL of 65 unless you total is way high.

Comment

My total to HDL ratio was also fine. I am just a little freaked out about my Total Cholesterol number. Oh, and I don't necessarily believe in CW, but it has been dogma for so long, I guess I am having a little trouble letting it go...

Comment

So, what is this sky-high total cholesterol number?

I think that the CW recommendation of 200 or below is ridiculously low, dangerously low. It was set without scientific justification in a vain attempt to prove the Lipid Hypothesis and then lowered over and over again to poison more and more healthy people with statins, IMO. (Follow The Money)

Comment

Great job on the HDL. The elevated LDL could be due to healing some issues now that the body's getting the chance -- inflammation, fatty liver, etc. See Why is my cholesterol so high on this diet?

You should see your LDL going back down with time; if it doesn't that's a sign that there's some underlying issue that needs to be resolved.
          Last edited by AndreaReina; 05-27-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I kind of sort of struggle with the same issues as the Original Poster.

If you look online for objective information on cholestorol, there is a FLOOD of information from very reputable sources which is in direct contradiction to the information provided here. And, I am not just talking about websites of the statin manufacturers. Mayo Clinic, National Heart Association, Center for Disease Control, US Food and Drug Administration and others all say that high cholesterol is very very bad for you.

I do not think one can be objective and ignore all of these opinions, without a theory (which doesn't sound like a conspiracy theory) as to why these medical professionals are universally rejecting the "evidence" that us average joes come up with a few clicks on Google.

But, for me, at least, the debate about cholestorol becomes moot. Under the PB, I am loosing weight, I am excersising more and have more energy, my blood sugar has gone from a fasting 158 to under 100 after meals, I feel better, my joint pains are going away, I am happier, etc..

There is no way that any medical professional ANYWHERE can tell me that returning to my pre-PB lifestyle is healthier, REGARDLESS of any preceived or actual risks due to high cholestorol.

I am going to stick with PB until I reach my ideal weight goals. At that time, as I am looking to fine-tune my health, I can look at my cholestorol numbers to see if it might be better for me to return to a more conventional (healthy) diet.

But, I suspect that by then, I will see any high spikes in my cholestorol to have leveled out. Attempting to analysis my cholestorol as buckets of fat are flooding out of my system is probably not a very good indicator.

Comment

Originally posted by FFRNChad View Post
              My total to HDL ratio was also fine. I am just a little freaked out about my Total Cholesterol number.
              The Lancet article I linked to is probably the most reputable source you can get in terms of CW and it says ratio is way more useful than total cholesterol.

LDL and TC are pushed by pharma companies and isn't CW but common advertising.

Comment

Pretty new to the whole primal diet and reading as much as I can. Having read Gary Taubes and Mark's book I feel like I am beginning to understand thw whole philosophy much better. Than I go and read an article like this in the NY Times this morning;

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/he...r=1&ref=health

Do you think the reason HDL levels were considered as providing "no benefit" are due to their being artificially raised by drug treatments? I agree with much of what the above poster said and feel significantly better since taking on my new diet and have no intention of changing. I did have blood work done and while my total cholesterol numbers were high (215) by CW they really don't bother me considering how good my HDL/LDL ratios and triglyceride numbers were.

Comment

Originally posted by piano-doctor-lady View Post
                  So, what is this sky-high total cholesterol number?

I think that the CW recommendation of 200 or below is ridiculously low, dangerously low. It was set without scientific justification in a vain attempt to prove the Lipid Hypothesis and then lowered over and over again to poison more and more healthy people with statins, IMO. (Follow The Money)
                  My sky high number was 385. According to my profession (American Medicine) I should be dead by now.

Comment

Originally posted by FFRNChad View Post
                    So I have been following the Primal lifestyle for over a year now. Diet is pretty well dialed in, I actively CrossFit 3-4 days a week, my stress management is good, life is pretty well in hand. My issue is this: I had my bloodwork done a couple of weeks ago and my cholesterol came back sky high. My total and LDL's are through the roof, HDL's are great (65). Triglycerides are fine, Blood glucose is fine, and I didn't have the test that identifies whether my LDL particles are small or large. I am aware of the research out there that points to high cholesterol possibly being cardio-protective. However, I am a nurse and CW, all my training, and all the people I currently work with, points to me dying in a matter of years from clogged arteries and an oxygen starved heart! I guess I just need some reassurance that I am doing the right thing. I look forward to all your help! Thanks in advance.
                    Are you overweight?

Comment

Originally posted by dboxing View Post
                      Are you overweight?
                      About 10-15lbs

Comment

@waskydiver. Have you seen Denise Minger's post about the USDA and the 12 studies that list on their own website as evidence that saturated fat is bad for you?
                        The New USDA Dietary Guidelines: Total Hogwash, and Here’s Why Raw Food SOS: Troubleshooting on the Raw Food Diet

Spoiler alert, they don't prove jack. Some of them don't even seem to have anything to do with saturated fat and one or two even seemed to show a correlation with saturated fat being good for you. The USDA has the conflicting duties of promoting US agriculture and regulating it. Pay no mind. If you feel great and your body is correcting a ton of problems, why would you consider going back to a more conventional diet? And if you thing about it, primal is the more conventional diet relative to the long evolution of man and the shift away from dietary fat, as recommended by the organizations you listed, is only about 30 years old. How is that working out for us?
                        F CW, I'm never going back.

Comment

Check out a book called "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. Read the introduction... absolutely the best explanation of why conventional wisdom is wrong.

Comment

Sally Fallon... Denise Minger...

Great minds... I am sure. And I am sure that they make very compelling arguments. And, I suspect that if I dedicated even a small portion of my spare time, I could digest, and understand all that they have to say.

But, what I do not understand is if the blogging community, from sites such as RawFoodSOS can express things so well that even I could understand them, why... oh WHY do the vast majority of government, education and medical agencies, with their almost unlimited funding and resources cannot comprehend these simple principles?

Do we need to go down the road of conspiracy theories about how the pharmacutical industry has the Mayo Clinic, multiple universities, the USDA, the FDA, the american heart association, and my own doctor on their payroll, which is keeping them blind to what Denise Minger who is "not a doctor or nutritionist (not yet, anyway... " can so readily see?

Don't get me wrong... I really like PB... and it has done WONDERS for me personally, and I plan on sticking with it, at least until I obtain some of my health goals. But, I mean to keep an open mind... and that means considering alternative sources of information, and the significant credentials that they provide.

Comment

Once the government handed down the edict that cholesterol & sat fat cause heart disease, how do you suppose these other entities would go about covering their asses if they decided it was wrong? If they don't adhere to the standard of care, they take on a great deal of liability if their patients have negative outcomes. It doesn't matter if the standard of care is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X