How to gain weight primally?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to gain weight primally?

My husband has been at survival school and just got back (well, he's coming home tomorrow night but he just got out of the field today). He lost 15 pounds in the field, which isn't great for him because he was already a smallish guy with not a lot of body fat - his normal is 170 pounds at 6 feet tall.

Right now his stomach is pretty shrunken so he can't eat a lot. Tonight he plans to have a bit of salmon, veggies, rice, and salad for dinner with maybe a breadstick (the guys are going out to Olive Garden). Sounds good to me... I told him to ask for butter to put on his fish and veggies since fat is calorie-dense.

Once he's home again, how can I help him gain back the weight in a way that's healthy? Obviously I could just cram him full of cake and bread, but I don't want to do that to him.

Ideas? Thanks in advance.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

The best way to gain weight (from what I have read) is not primal. Oats and whole milk apparently are the best. I have even heard of "GOMAD" (gallon of milk a day). Anyway, if he is very underweight, I would say a few weeks of oats and milk would do more good than harm.

Comment

Why not lots of yummy, carby produce? Tropical fruits, potatoes and sweet potatoes, lots and lots of extra fat. You know, all the good stuff.

Comment

I'll wager it is not a worry. No need to "carb up" to gain weight. Survival school has likely meant loads of cortisol. Just get him back to eating full blown primal, as much as he wants! With rest, sleep, relaxation, time to recover and put some muscle back on, he should be fine.

What he'd need right now after such a taxing (I assume, I am picturing Navy Seal type activities? No?) ordeal is protein, minerals, fats, vitamins, all the things to FIX the damage done. A highly animal based, and nutrient dense nutritional plan is in order, not a bunch of carbs (clean/natural/primal or not) that offer no building blocks, no repair.....

Which is going to repair tissue, build muscle, heal neurons, some beef heart grilled up in ghee, or a pile of rice?

Comment

Just let his body regain the weight back by eating normally. Most of it was probably fat anyway. Plus his body is not ready to start binging without negatively affecting his digestive system.

Comment

[quote]

Just let his body regain the weight back by eating normally. Most of it was probably fat anyway. Plus his body is not ready to start binging without negatively affecting his digestive system. </blockquote>

while I agree once he starts eating normally he&#39;ll probably be fine, and if need be Diana&#39;s suggestion holds.....but really clubber?! are you serious he is six feet tall, normally 170...now he lost 15 pounds and is sitting at 155lbs...at six feet you think that was mostly fat!?

if he lost 15lbs of mostly fat at that weight...well then somebody needs to start lifting some heavy things

Comment

Honestly, have him eat oats and drink lots of milk for a few weeks. He will gain the weight back quickly and then he can just cut them back out. That is the quickest and best way to gain weight.

Comment

I would think Diana and Acmebike has it right. Just let him get good food. Carbs will help definitely, but keep it good carbs. Sweet Potatoes and maybe rice. Milk if he handles it well. I am not sure about Oats.

Comment

Lift heavy and eat a lot of meat

Comment

2 lbs of calorie dense meat, oils and fats, and a package of nuts...thats primal and well over 3000 cals

Comment

If I were you I would go to bodybuilding.com or something similar and ask them. From everything I have read, oats are practically essential when trying to bulk up. And to be honest they are not that bad for you either. I know, I know, grains are bad, but I only think grains are bad because they are high in carbs and otherwise low in essential nutrients that fruits and vegetables are packed with...BUT, if you need to gain weight, oats are the best way to do it. I mean honestly, it is easy to eat a good 500 calories of oats, but try doing that with veggies and see how far you get.

Comment

@arthur999: Work out harder :P

Comment

Carbs weren&#39;t particularly effective for me gaining weight in the past. I have been about the same weight (too low) however I ate.

I have gained a bit so far since going fully primal with large amounts of calories. I eat butter, drink whole cream by the pint (1600 cals a pop), as well as eating plenty of meat/fish/eggs, nuts, veg, fruits, and even some starch (love potatoes).

Comment

lol good luck! my husband is 6&#39;1 and 160lbs. just let him eat until he&#39;s full and stick some extra butter in there

Comment

I&#39;ve gained about 15 pounds in the last 4 months eating "primaly" and not that much carbs either.

It seems that people assume that *only* carbs will cause you to gain weight.

I&#39;ve been eating about 50-100 carbs a day...

I just make sure to eat a good deal *over* my maintenance calories.

And yes, I&#39;m trying to gain weight.

But for those trying to lose weight... I don&#39;t think you can get away with eating unlimited calories and just cutting carbs.

Cutting carbs may help, but you need to keep your calories in check too.

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

Working...
                              X