Digestive Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digestive Issues

I've been primal for around 3 weeks now and am still struggling in the digestion department.

I find myself not needing the toilet for 2-3 days, although I don't feel overly constipated (just a shade bloated) and then find myself suffering from mild diarrhoea for the next few days. This cycle just keeps repeating...

Excluding a couple of meals out (where I've tried to pick Primal-ish dishes), I've been pretty much 100% primal. Fat is 60-70% of calories, protein is 20-30% (always at least 1g/lb LBM), carbs are the remainder (sub 100g though).

I'm also supplementing with Omega 3, Vitamin D3, Multivitamins, and Probiotics.

I've read that adjustment to Primal eating can take a week or so, but is what I am experiencing common?

Any advice much appreciated.

If you had digestive issues before going paleo/primal you might be experiencing some "die off" symptoms which a lot of people get. If your digestion was always pretty good then you may just need to add in more veggies to help with your transit time and get things moving along nicely.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

I find I have a lot less waste than I had when I ate grains, and that seems typical.
      I had a period of random diarrhea, which sucked, but that ended after a few weeks.

I would recommend taking some kind of gut flora thing. I did the one from Primal Nutrition and it did help settle me out quite a bit.

Comment

Or upping your magnesium
        "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
        www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Comment

Somewhere along the line, CW told us we were abnormal for not using the bathroom every day
          If you're not constipated this is not a problem but yeah veggies help

Comment

Originally posted by melodious View Post
            I find I have a lot less waste than I had when I ate grains, and that seems typical.
            I had a period of random diarrhea, which sucked, but that ended after a few weeks.

I would recommend taking some kind of gut flora thing. I did the one from Primal Nutrition and it did help settle me out quite a bit.
            i found i had something similar but it went after a while, it sucks but you get over it

Comment

Thanks for all the advice guys (and girls). I'm already taking probiotics, so I have that aspect covered. I'm eating a fair bit of veg too, but a bit more won't hurt I suspect. Finally I'll pick up some Mg too as have now read in several places that it might help out.

Other than that, I guess I'll have to wait it out. Really just wanted to check symptoms weren't abnormal for the adjustment.

Thanks again

Comment

Uhhh... further reading suggests Mg is a laxative and can cause diarrhoea... now uncertain as to whether it is a good idea given current problems

Comment

my opinion, one of your veggies is causing the diarehha and constipation...this happened to me before with salsa and mushrooms(not together but both caused the same problem). try easily digested veggeies, stay away from skins

l glutamine
                  Get on my Level
                  http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MalPaz View Post
                    my opinion, one of your veggies is causing the diarehha and constipation...this happened to me before with salsa and mushrooms(not together but both caused the same problem). try easily digested veggeies, stay away from skins

l glutamine
                    I hadn't even considered something like this...

I eat a fair bit of the following fruit and veg:

Blueberries, strawberries, avocado, sasla (usually mixed with the avocado), sweet potato (with skin), mange tout, broccoli, onions, red peppers, & spinach. I eat others, but these are easily what I eat most.

Are any of these thought to be problematic (I know you mentioned salsa MalPaz)? What veg is considered easily digestible? Also, does the way they are cooked (or not cooked) affect digestibility?

Comment

If you are not used to them, too many coconut products too soon can cause diarrhea too.

Comment

Working...
                      X