Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not meeting RDA's.. do we care?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Not meeting RDA's.. do we care?

    I'm concerned about not getting all of my nutrients on a regular basis. Does anyone else notice this when logging in foods? I eat around 1800-2000 cals a day and I'm usually low in C, E, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, b-5, potassium, riboflavin, thiamin.

    Now, I know that I can be super picky about my foods and eat a 1-2 cups of cooked spinach every day, but do I really need to do that? Is it safe to assume that without grains, legumes, farmed meat/eggs, and only small amounts of soaked nuts/seeds that my vitamin/mineral loss is minimal and no need to worry?

    After 6 months or so of staying purely primal I plan on having some blood work done to check my vitamin and mineral levels. However, until then I was hoping someone might know of some research or have had some blood work done themselves that could put my mind at ease.

    Thanks
    PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

  • #2
    When I eat at a 1000 calorie deficit(1600 calories) I blow the RDA out of the water in most categories. I really don't think the people that came up with the RDA know much of anything. Remember, Primal man did not put check marks in columns. Primal man lived life, each day, and ate whatever he could pick, dig up, or kill.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by pyro13g View Post
      I really don't think the people that came up with the RDA know much of anything. Remember, Primal man did not put check marks in columns. Primal man lived life, each day, and ate whatever he could pick, dig up, or kill.
      The first point I totally agree with. The second is totally completely irrelevant and makes no sense to anyone trying to figure out how to be healthy. "Primal man" lived in a CAVE. Do you? Primal man wore only animal skins. How 'bout you? See where this is going? It's driving me bonkers that nobody seems to be able to figure out that we are NOT TRYING TO COPY CAVEMEN.
      Sorry for the rant. I'll take a break now, and go back to basketball.
      If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

      Comment


      • #4
        It certainly isn't as simple as RDAs, which are largely chosen to prevent disorders rather than for well-being. This means they should be treated as minima. No concensus on by how much each should be exceeded.

        Easiest and inexpensive way to get those minerals and vitamins is to include organs in your diet
        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

        Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

        Comment


        • #5
          Eat a wide variety of foods - especially nutrient dense stuff like organ meats.

          The RDA is misleading - you really can't fulfill every category without taking a multi-vitamin (and even then a fraction is actually absorbed). Your body stores necessary vitamins for times when you don't get them. Example: vegans who do not supplement can go through several years of B12 deficiency before their bodies run out and they start suffering severe symptoms.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by peril View Post
            It certainly isn't as simple as RDAs, which are largely chosen to prevent disorders rather than for well-being. This means they should be treated as minima. No concensus on by how much each should be exceeded.

            Easiest and inexpensive way to get those minerals and vitamins is to include organs in your diet
            I also, saw them as a minimum, which is why it bothers me that I'm not even getting to the minimum on the things I listed. Several other things though I am WAY over.

            I do eat about 2 T. of raw liver daily. I haven't done other organ meats though.

            Originally posted by rayout View Post
            Eat a wide variety of foods - especially nutrient dense stuff like organ meats.

            The RDA is misleading - you really can't fulfill every category without taking a multi-vitamin (and even then a fraction is actually absorbed). Your body stores necessary vitamins for times when you don't get them. Example: vegans who do not supplement can go through several years of B12 deficiency before their bodies run out and they start suffering severe symptoms.
            I'm trying to avoid supplements in general. I just keep hearing about one after the other causing problems, best to just use real food I think.
            PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

            Comment


            • #7
              I take supplements. Food no longer gives you the required nutrients because the ground is depleted. Supplements are just part of what has to be done these days.
              Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

              Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)


              Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

              My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

              Comment


              • #8
                I would rather eat less and negotiate supplements with my doc, based on blood tests so it's not a guess. If I tried to eat enough food to get all the things people say we need, I would be huge again. No thanks.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I just went to nutritiondata.com and compared some food to each other based on nutrient density. After reading so much paleo literature I was certainly under the impression that my meat and fats contained the bulk of my nutrition and veggies and fruit were a side note.

                  Yet, under actual comparison it seems that I'd be better off eating mostly spinach with a bit of meat on the side. The veggies were still where the bulk of nutrients was coming from. What about the Inuit's?
                  PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                    I'm concerned about not getting all of my nutrients on a regular basis. Does anyone else notice this when logging in foods? I eat around 1800-2000 cals a day and I'm usually low in C, E, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, b-5, potassium, riboflavin, thiamin.
                    Yes, I think you should care.

                    The RDAs are not cast in stone–and, indeed, can and do change. But they're not a bad basis to go on. Some may be set too low, and optimal intakes may well be a fair bit higher.

                    I doubt it matters if one is low in this or that short term, but I wouldn't like to do it for a protracted period. For example, there are a few B-group vitamins there–that's not a good thing.

                    There seems little reason to be under on C. For example, half a grapefruit will give you over 40% of the RDA for a mere 52 calories.

                    Pork is a very good source of thiamine, and a few ounces of that now and then will probably help you be over the RDA on average over the week.

                    Iron you don't want to be low in—specially true for women, whose lose it, of course. I'd add some iron-rich foods, such as liver and egg yolks (which probably ought to be in your diet anyway)

                    An ounce of almonds will supply around half the RDA for vitamin E

                    Pineapple is a good source of manganese—a small bowl of that (around 4 ounces) will supply you with around 60% of the RDA. Why not have some now and then?

                    You can investigate food sources by googling something like, say, "riboflavin food sources".

                    It's better to get your nutrients from food than to pop pills. The vitamins in a pill may not be in the same form as what you'd get in food. Moreover, in food they tend to come with co-factors. Thus acerola (a type of cherry—it is also made up into tablets) is better than vitamin C tablets, which are probably just ascorbic acid on its own:

                    Acerola Tablets: A berry rich in ascorbic acid, acerola provides vitamin C with numerous cofactors, including bioflavonoids and rutin, to optimize the body's uptake and use of ascorbic acid.
                    Guide to Superfoods
                    Last edited by Lewis; 05-25-2011, 09:58 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                      Yet, under actual comparison it seems that I'd be better off eating mostly spinach with a bit of meat on the side. The veggies were still where the bulk of nutrients was coming from. What about the Inuit's?
                      They ate their meat often fresh-killed and sometimes undercooked, and some of it even raw. That means the heat-labile nutrients aren't so compromised. Also, certain cuts are high in particular nutrients: adrenal glands, which you probably won't find in your butchers, have more vitamin C in them than any other animal or plant tissue.

                      AFAIK, your need for some nutrients goes up as you eat more carbohydrate, because those nutrients are used to metabolize it, so they probably wouldn't have needed so much of some things.

                      All-meat diets are certainly possible, but they seem to take know-how.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Good to know about the pork, and pineapple. I didn't know that. I used to eat bacon all the time, but have stopped due to source issues.

                        I totally agree about not popping pills, which is why I'm concerned. I do eat a bit of raw liver everyday and about 14-16oz. of beef most days. I was shocked that my iron was low with those on the menu!! I have unfortunately developed an allergy to eggs. I used to be okay with pastured eggs, but now even those get me sick .

                        My C comes and goes. Right now I'm trying to be lower carb to get rid of a few last pounds, but usually I do have a bit of fruit. I certainly had the impression though that I didn't need the fruits and veggies as much as it looks like I do.
                        PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lewis View Post

                          AFAIK, your need for some nutrients goes up as you eat more carbohydrate, because those nutrients are used to metabolize it, so they probably wouldn't have needed so much of some things.

                          All-meat diets are certainly possible, but they seem to take know-how.
                          That is exactly what I wanted to know. It seems like without the phytic acid, lectin etc. we don't need as much. I don't want to be meat only, but I don't want to stress about my veggie and fruits either.
                          PaleoMom's Diet Recovery Journal
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82059.html

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PaleoMom View Post
                            Right now I'm trying to be lower carb to get rid of a few last pounds ...
                            There's an interesting podcast on weight loss new only yesterday. I'm surprised no one's posted the link anywhere on these boards yet. If they have, I haven't seen it. Anyway, the Healthy Skeptic is talking to Stephan Guyenet, who researches into weight-loss and neurobiology.

                            http://thehealthyskeptic.org/the-hea...ast-episode-10

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X