Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks and 5 lbs

Hi,
    Been going hard Primal for 3 weeks and only lost about 4-5 lbs. I have about 35 lbs to lose. I know that's not a terribly slow rate but considering how I was eating before... Bags of chips during commute, cookies for breakfast 1 or 2 x week, liberal servings of rice and usually some dessert, I'm just surprised the weight is not flying off. I've considered that maybe I'm eating too many nuts, which is probably true, but still, it seems really slow. Does the pace pick-up after the first month?

Thanks

whats slow? whats fast? whats, what who where when and why! thats awesome man! keep it up!

i went primal in feb 2010
    200lbs
    37% body fat
    38-40 waist

1 year to the day
    140lbs
    7.8% body fat
    29 waist

currently
    137lbs
    7% body fat
    29 waist

Comment

Cut out or cut down on the nuts and see if progress speeds up if that is what you like.

Comment

Give it some time. Also don't focus on the scale - take measurements. You might be gaining muscle even without working out due to your improved diet and muscle ways alot more than fat.

Comment

I'd be psyched with more muscle. I do see changes in my face and feel looser in the belt. Digestion has also sped up considerably. Intuitively it feels good. Just in the past when I've tried to lose weight it's been pretty fast (of course comes back even faster).
          But I committed to 30 days and hope to go strong this remaining week before allowing for a little indulgence after the 30. But plan on continuing. Even took a before picture - which I'll spare you!

Thanks for the support!

Comment

I've been 'dieting' for 18 weeks (8 CW, 10 PB). I'm down 26 lbs (still another 15 or 20 to go). That averages out at 1.4 pounds per week which is about the pace you're on. It's a totally sustainable rate of weight loss, especially if you're satisfied with the food you're eating and you're not starving or having cravings.

Are you doing any fitness activities? Have you put up a sample menu? How many nuts is too many?
            Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
            Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
            CW: 146.8 lbs
            GW 140 lbs
            A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Thanks. Well, I'm allergic to eggs. So I found a recipe on another paleo blog for a breakfast of just chopped walnuts, almonds and pecans with blueberries and coconut milk (I'm using almond milk b/c the coconut milk I bought was gross). I've been grabbing some handfuls of cashews in between meals (I know....I know....!). But I'm a big eater. Like I said, I could eat a family size bag of chips for lunch no problem. So I've been getting hungry and nuts are handy. But I don't know if that's slowing things down and I hate to villanize the one munchy I have left!

Comment

Have you thought of eating more at meals so you can give up snacking?

Comment

If you're hung up on having 'breakfast food' for breakfast try bacon or sausages. If it feels weird just having bacon for breakfast try topping it with a little cottage cheese. I've found the cold creaminess of the cheese is a fantastic counterpoint to the hot and salty of the bacon. It really helped me get my mind past eating a bowl of bacon for breakfast when I was just starting out (Now I'll just have the bacon no problem)

Comment

1.5 lb per week is a rapid rate of weight loss, if you are maintaining or building your muscle at the same time that's about as good as you should even want. More rapid fat loss seems to mess up people's metabolisms and make it easier to gain back. Sounds to me like you are doing awesome and just need patience. This is a life, not a diet plan, anyhow.
                    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

That's not slow by any stretch of the imagination. What you're probably not compensating for is a growth in muscle mass along with the fat loss. You're exercising, right?
                      I agree with you about the nuts. You're probably eating too many.
                      If you're a big eater, eat a giant steak with a whole lot of vegetables. Snacking on nuts is an excuse to eat more without feeling guilty about it (I've done this too). So, if you want to really eat, eat flesh and leaves, not dairy or nuts or fruit. Get better nutrients for the quantity you consume. I still think you should feel great about the loss you're seeing.

Comment

I donít mean to be discouraging, but contrary to most posts on here, if you have 35+lbs to lose, you are losing too slowly. 3 weeks? Only 4-5 pounds? 4-5 pounds could just be a 1 to 2 day fluctuation, I wouldnít count anything under 7 pounds as ďweightlossĒ. You are most likely eating too much and too often and not exercising enough. Donít listen to the folks on here who say give it time. Youíll just be wasting time and youíll get frustrated. Reduce how much and how often you eat, and exercise more. Youíll drop the weight.

Comment

Originally posted by dboxing View Post
                          I don’t mean to be discouraging, but contrary to most posts on here, if you have 35+lbs to lose, you are losing too slowly. 3 weeks? Only 4-5 pounds? 4-5 pounds could just be a 1 to 2 day fluctuation, I wouldn’t count anything under 7 pounds as “weightloss”. You are most likely eating too much and too often and not exercising enough. Don’t listen to the folks on here who say give it time. You’ll just be wasting time and you’ll get frustrated. Reduce how much and how often you eat, and exercise more. You’ll drop the weight.
                          Bullshit
                          a) I lost the same amount at the same rate and it's been off for over 2 years
                          b) 3 weeks is too soon to judge "actual weight loss"

It could be that he's not exercising enough or eating too much but only three weeks, especially the first three, isn't enough time to gauge.
                          Again, bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by secretlobster View Post
                            Bullshit
                            a) I lost the same amount at the same rate and it's been off for over 2 years
                            b) 3 weeks is too soon to judge "actual weight loss"

It could be that he's not exercising enough or eating too much but only three weeks, especially the first three, isn't enough time to gauge.
                            Again, bullshit.
                            Yeah, except that it is not. Hereís why you are wrong and why itís easy to tell that you havenít had a lot of experience in training others as they lose weight. Although weightloss is not a linear process, THE INITIAL LOSS IS THE FASTEST if the other parameters donít change. People donít lose 1 pound the first week, 2 pounds the second week, 3 pounds the third week, etc. They do the opposite. Usually they lose 7-15 the first two weeks, and then it slows. If someone has only lost 4-5 pounds in the FIRST 3 weeks, they arenít making sustainable progress. If a personís purpose is to lose weight, they should actually be doing something that measurably makes them lose weight; otherwise, what is the point? Eat less and less often. Exercise and/or move more.

Comment

Thanks to all. I actually had a couple of hamburgers for breakfast the other day. It was a bit odd, but kept me pretty satisfied till lunch. The scale actually treated me to another half-a-pound loss this A.M.. So I think things are progressing nicely overall.
                              I think I'm figuring out that maybe it wasn't the nuts slowing me down, but maybe too much fruit. Still have mindset that fruit can never be bad!

Comment

Working...
                              X