Olive oil on salad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olive oil on salad

Just a quick question ... is olive oil an acquired taste when you put it on salads and such without cooking? I tried once to put it on carrots and it kind of tasted ... horrible :P It tastes perfectly fine when adding it to cooked foods.

I started adding balsamic vinegar to my salads and was wondering about adding olive oil, that's all.

Thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

You mean olive oil by itself? I have only eaten it with vinegar. I'd think on it's own it would be gross.

Comment

Yes it is. Like olives, anchovies and beer. Imagine a world without them. Pretty easy to get used to and once you do you'll really appreciate it on a range of foods. My favourite is pouring olive oil over grilled fish - greek style
      Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Comment

It can be, it has a complex and distinct taste that some really like, others need to get used to it. Good olive oil drunk straight should taste somewhat spicy (not hot), slightly astringent/bitter (but not much), herbaceous.

Comment

You can also put it in a shaker or a jar and shake it up with some lemon or lime and or viniger with a few spices
          makes a awesome dressing veggies or to pour over meats....

Comment

1/3 cup Apple cider vinegar
            1 cup Olive oil
            1 tsp black Pepper
            Salt to taste
            1 tsp Onion Powder
            1 tsp Garlic Powder
            2 tablespoons Brown Mustard

Shake and serve over greens.

The best dressing ever.
            Calorie Counter

Comment

Originally posted by AndreaReina View Post
              It can be, it has a complex and distinct taste that some really like, others need to get used to it. Good olive oil drunk straight should taste somewhat spicy (not hot), slightly astringent/bitter (but not much), herbaceous.
              Exactly! Also keep in mind, different brands can taste vastly different. The greener the oil, the stronger the flavor, if you don't care for the really green extra virgin stuff, try just plain old olive oil.
              I generally make vinaigrettes for my salads: 1 part olive oil, 1 part acid (I like it vinegar-y, you can do as little as 1/2 part. You can also use lemon or lime juice), salt, pepper, a little dijon mustard, a crushed clove of garlic, and whatever herbs and spices I have on hand and am in the mood for.
              My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

I actually love a big ass salad covered in olive oil, some fresh pepper and garlic, no need for the vinegar. Not sure if I'm in the minority but it's my favorite lunch, you do need to buy a decent olive oil though.
                My Paleo Project:

www.nutritionator.com

Comment

I have finally ditched the store bought Ranch and have been using some roasted garlic vinegar on my salads. Only other added ingredient is red wine vinegar. About 2 calories, no sugar, carbs or any other added ingredient.

Comment

I have one of those Misto oil sprayers, so I put on a good dose of olive oil on my salad that way, then squeeze half a lemon or lime over the whole thing. I also got some garlic olive oil that I'm jonesing for.

Can't say I'd be thrilled with just plain oil on a salad, but you never know.
                    Durp.

Comment

I've been eating olive oil/balsamic vinagrette on a salad at least once or twice a day since going primal 10 weeks ago! So far, I haven't seen the need to add other flavours, but I do have a jar of dijon in the fridge...
                      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                      CW: 146.8 lbs
                      GW 140 lbs
                      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I had no idea people ate it on salad without vinegar! You learn something every day I like vinegar (or lemon) to cut the oiliness myself.

Comment

There are varieties of olive oil. We in this country think Italian is the only thing to have. Try others.

I used to dip bread in olive oil. Good if the oil is quality. The gallons you can buy at Costco may not be so tasty.
                          Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I'm from the Mediterranean: no need to mix olive oil with other stuff.

We "drown" our food with olive oil. Just olive oil, no need to put additional stuff in (some people also use vinegar though).

Comment

You're making me hungry now. I could drink olive oil straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X