Do meat eaters really stink?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do meat eaters really stink?

Way back in the day when I was a vegetarian, I remember reading this multiple times in the vegetarian literature: Meat-eaters smell bad because of toxins, etc. I wanted to believe it at the time because it played to my sense of superiority (I was just a teenager, so plenty guillible).

I also encountered this concept in an old (1980s?) book written by the Japanologist Jack Seward that claimed that the Japanese think foreigners smell bad due to their heavy meat consumption.

This claim by vegetarians was briefly mentioned in Robb Wolf's most recent podcast, but just in a joking manner. Is there anything to this? I've never encountered what I considered to be a diet-based body odor beyond the usual offenders: garlic, curry, etc.

There was a Czech study that attempted to test the perceived attractiveness of male meat-eaters vs vegetarians based on scent. Like most studies about "meat-eaters," it's not truly testing a meat-based diet - it's testing a diet that includes meat (and probably a ton of grains, etc.). Moreover, it's known that in issues of attraction, there tends to be a large difference between what people self-report they're attracted to, and what people actually are attracted to.

Here is a write-up of the study (note the pic of the author in the upper-right - probably not the most pleasant-smelling guy himself).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by MichaelH; 05-24-2011, 12:01 PM. Reason: typos

I think we smell like pure, unadulterated awesome.

Comment

Go stand near a vegetarian and wait until they fart, then tell me meat-eaters smell bad

Comment

i smell like coconut dark chocolate mint protein

i mean no harm in being a smart a*& however, i once read that smoking helps keep you skinny LOL

i went primal in feb 2010
        200lbs
        37% body fat
        38-40 waist

1 year to the day
        140lbs
        7.8% body fat
        29 waist

currently
        137lbs
        7% body fat
        29 waist

Comment

Originally posted by secretlobster View Post
          Go stand near a vegetarian and wait until they fart, then tell me meat-eaters smell bad
          One thing I miss about eating a grain-based diet is cutting a really good fart. I hardly fart at all since switching to PB. Maybe just a couple pathetic toots in the morning.

(I'm just kidding, of course - I don't really miss it ).

Comment

Originally posted by secretlobster View Post
            LOL.

just my 2 cents. i have a sort of musky, sweet smell to my sweat. i've never ever had to use deodorant. that is, until i went low carb/paleo. now i have a distinct sweaty smell that is bothersome to me. i still rarely use deodorant, but i want to shower more.
            my health blog

Comment

It's quite possible that the meat products that the meat-eaters ate made them smell bad. I know that when I used to eat commercial sausage, my system would go haywire. I mean, I had serious problems with pork sausage. It's also possible that eating any kind of meat produces, say, a "gamy" odor that some people would find offensive. There are some people who hate the smell of sweat, some people who are indifferent, and some who love it. But Americans and Canadians, in general, dislike natural odors and prefer synthetic scents, which is why laundy soap and other commercial soap is dosed with artificial scents.

Ditto the point about flatus. I never farted more than when I ate sprouted wheat special vegetarian bread. Went on all day. Grain-based breakfast cereals, oatmeal, broccoli, peppers, dairy -- most of the fave vegetarian food groups make me stink.

Comment

Ditto on the now seldom and less-offensive smelling farts!

Comment

I'm going VLC for weight loss, and I'm pretty sure I smell worse now than I used to due to ketosis. All my bodily fluids are filled with acetone now.

Comment

Went through three phases:
                    Pre-primal, meat-light, grain-heavy, wash w/ soap, use deodorant
                    Primal, wash w/ soap, use deodorant
                    Primal, wash w/o soap, no deodorant

No difference in how I smelled.

Comment

Originally posted by bookstorecowboy View Post
                      It's quite possible that the meat products that the meat-eaters ate made them smell bad. I know that when I used to eat commercial sausage, my system would go haywire. I mean, I had serious problems with pork sausage. It's also possible that eating any kind of meat produces, say, a "gamy" odor that some people would find offensive. There are some people who hate the smell of sweat, some people who are indifferent, and some who love it. But Americans and Canadians, in general, dislike natural odors and prefer synthetic scents, which is why laundy soap and other commercial soap is dosed with artificial scents.

Ditto the point about flatus. I never farted more than when I ate sprouted wheat special vegetarian bread. Went on all day. Grain-based breakfast cereals, oatmeal, broccoli, peppers, dairy -- most of the fave vegetarian food groups make me stink.
                      Ditto on commercial sausage, especially pork sausage. It can be delicious, but I smell a little ripe.

Comment

I think it's mostly the conventional meat that people eat from McDonald's and such that makes them smell. Haven't had personal experience, but perhaps grass fed beef consumption makes you smell better than if you were to eat lower quality meat.
                        feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

Comment

Well they're not just eating meat at mcdonalds!
                          Probably unfair but used to see vegetarians and vegans as just dirty hippies that never shower!

Comment

Sugar/grain eaters stink! All that extra glucose gets into the sweat and feeds yeastie beasties!

Comment

Eh, smell, or if something smells bad is subjective. Someone mentioned Japanese people thinking Westerners smell bad, which is actually due to the dairy that they eat. The Japanese that I've been around sometimes have a 'fishy" odor due to the amount of fish they eat. I've been around different ethnicities that have a scent due to the spices they eat, none of which stink, unless they don't bathe, in which case it doesn't matter, it all stinks. Vegetarians like to throw that around, as though meat eaters smell like rotting meat and they smell like fresh fruit, or something. If your scent changes on PB there's a good possibility it's due to hormonal changes or different spices you're eating. I know that during different times of the month my scent changes. It's possible that we may have a muskier scent, which really isn't a bad thing. It means we're healthy and virile. Too many Westerners are divorced from the human body in its natural state. Which isn't to say all hygiene should be avoided, but when you eat to promote a natural, healthy state, stop perfuming and scrubbing and hiding your humanity, well, it can take some getting used to.
                              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

Working...
                              X