Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a hot but caffeine-free primal drink?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for a hot but caffeine-free primal drink?

When fasting I find that I get very cold despite putting a few extra layers on under my work shirt. Unfortunately I can't take even decaf tea of coffee because even the minimal caffeine content makes my acne really flair up (and I never take milk which also makes me flair up).

Can anyone suggest a suitably primal hot drink that is naturally caffeine free? What about some of the fruit teas? I'm unsure about their 'natural flavourings'?

Thanks!

This stuff is pretty good

Teeccino Caffeine-Free Herbal Coffee / Coffee Substitute Coffee Alternative
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

Comment

Sorrel, ginger tea, hot lemonade. Actually if it's good water I quite enjoy plain hot water too. Sounds weird, but try it out .

Comment

warm coconut milk

i went primal in feb 2010
        200lbs
        37% body fat
        38-40 waist

1 year to the day
        140lbs
        7.8% body fat
        29 waist

currently
        137lbs
        7% body fat
        29 waist

Comment

Teeccino is carbohydrate heavy for someone fasting.

I LOVE plain Rooibos tea. It is also called Red Tea and has a very subtle vanilla flavor to it, in my opinion. It is amazing with a slice of ginger and a cinnamon stick, too. Also, if you can find a place like Whole Foods that sells bulk teas, Republic of Tea's Cardamom Cinnamon is a delicious, hot, full-bodied cup. Yay for teas! (or Tisanes, technically!)
          Little Saiyan

Comment

Make your own bone broth or soup. Keep in thermos. Drink to stay toasty
            Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
            Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
            CW: 146.8 lbs
            GW 140 lbs
            A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I like hot cocoa. A tsp of cocoa, hot water, stevia and coconut milk or heavy cream. You can add a little vanilla, cinnamon or cloves - or all of them.

Comment

I like to steep fresh sage leaves in hot (not boiling) water for 4-5 minutes and have that as a drink. It tastes great and sage has many benefits - you can look up Mark's article on herbs for it.

Pure jasmine tea (not the kind mixed with green tea) is also delicious.
                My food blog, with many PB-friendly recipes

Comment

I LOVE rooibos tea. It's naturally caffeine free, and it has a mild, pleasant flavor that doesn't require sweeteners, and it has a lot of antioxidants too.

Comment

Vanilla Roobios tea
                    Chamomile tea
                    Anything-with-hibiscus-tea (natually very tangy, found in many fruit blends, non-caffenated and excellent hot or cold)
                    Mint tea with lemon
                    warm lemon water

Comment

Originally posted by belinda View Post
                      Make your own bone broth or soup. Keep in thermos. Drink to stay toasty
                      +1000 this is exactly what I would drink!
                      "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
                        +1000 this is exactly what I would drink!
                        So nourishing! but didn't the original poster mention that this was during a fast?

I wonder how long one could survive on bone-broth alone... SO nourishing...
                        Little Saiyan

Comment

I love rooibus tea. If not fasting, mix with a scant spoon of coconut oil and coconut milk. Also decaf chai tea is good with that too. Otherwise I would stick to ginger or peppermint tea if you want to avoid caffeine.

Comment

Originally posted by ikaika View Post
                            So nourishing! but didn't the original poster mention that this was during a fast?

I wonder how long one could survive on bone-broth alone... SO nourishing...
                            The protein available in bone broth is not complete. They would still be available for glucogenesis and ketogenesis, but lean body mass will still be depleted.

Originally posted by Bissen View Post
                            I like hot cocoa. A tsp of cocoa, hot water, stevia and coconut milk or heavy cream. You can add a little vanilla, cinnamon or cloves - or all of them.
                            I was going to suggest hot chocolate, but doesn't cacao have a small amount of caffeine as well?

Comment

decaf chai!
                              decaf chai!

(I'm really sensitive to caffeine and makes me feel soooo crappy that it's just not worth it to me anymore.)
                              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Working...
                              X