Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just had fish and chips (from the fish and chip shop)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peril View Post
    We know that one fish and chips meal is not toxic. But do you know how many such meals it takes to cause damage? And will you be counting and be sure to limit the damage. We should be celebrating the goodness and deliciousness of good food, not convincing each other and ourselves that its OK to consume wheat and toxic oils. You might as well finish it off with a kool-aid. I'll stay the course thanks
    Please continue posting about it, I haven't been meeting my RDA of self-righteous pompousness

Comment

Originally posted by peril View Post
      We know that one fish and chips meal is not toxic. But do you know how many such meals it takes to cause damage? And will you be counting and be sure to limit the damage. We should be celebrating the goodness and deliciousness of good food, not convincing each other and ourselves that its OK to consume wheat and toxic oils. You might as well finish it off with a kool-aid. I'll stay the course thanks
      But the whole point is that we want to AVOID the toxic oils and use beef fat. And the amount of flour in the batter - once a month or so - is negligible.

I DO agree with you that we are benefiting hugely from eating good, wholesome. nutritious foods. Missing out bread, pasta, omega 6 oils etc etc.

And I will be "counting ...to limit the damage". But I love fish and chips. Once in a while is not a crime.

Comment

I think his point is that you can easily make fish and chips at home primally with a nut batter and animal fat. If its the best of options when you're out and can't get home sure, but actively looking to make a once a month habit out of it is different.

Obviously no one here can prevent you from doing that if you choose to, your life, your body etc. But that doesn't mean they have to think its a good idea.

I can definitely see both sides, the one side that thinks its preachy and the other side that wants to voice their opinion that this is not a healthy activity that should be promoted, especially on forums dedicated to helping people eat in this way.

Comment

OK! I won't eat fish and chips! I haven't had any for ages and the appeal was enormous. But I'll eat sardines and carrots instead.

You've won.

Comment

Fish (seabass) 'chips' and mushy peas (avocado and mint puree)

(from the UK and ROI Primal group pages)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ussion419.html
            Last edited by localad; 05-26-2011, 12:59 PM.
            activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
              You could supplement with fish oil and try to eat less inflammatory foods in the surrounding days I suppose.
              Wouldn't the fried fish include fish oil?

Comment

I'm working on a primal fish and chips; the fish is easy. Peril is right, of course, but of the top best meals I ever had, one was fish and chips at a pub in Delaware--I kid you not!
                This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Any given day you are surrounded by 10,000 idiots.
                Lao Tsu, founder of Taoism

Comment

Originally posted by Happy2Fly View Post
                  Wouldn't the fried fish include fish oil?
                  Yes. But it may not be enough to balance all the oil in the dish.

Edit: I just looked it up. A cod fillet has about 300mg of Omega 3s and a single tablespoon of soybean oil has over 6000 mg of omega 6. You'd have take a lot of fish oil to balance that.
                  Last edited by DaisyEater; 05-26-2011, 02:04 PM.

Comment

I'm not judging anyone, fish and chips are delicious and if you just have to cheat, cheating with them and finding the least impacting way to do so is a hell of a lot better than say a bunch of cake and ice cream. But you already knew that, yes they're still a cheat

Comment

I used to love eating fish and chips pre-paleo days. But I just hated the way it made my stomach feel for the next day until it was out of my system. I just felt it wasn't worth it for me anymore. Although I would love to be able to eat it (once a month max), I just can't do it anymore. Grats to you guys who can eat it without any repurcussions.
                      "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by Balance View Post
                        I used to love eating fish and chips pre-paleo days. But I just hated the way it made my stomach feel for the next day until it was out of my system. I just felt it wasn't worth it for me anymore. Although I would love to be able to eat it (once a month max), I just can't do it anymore. Grats to you guys who can eat it without any repurcussions.
                        I wouldn't be able to do the batter without feeling like crap. That is, as long as it was made with the standard wheat flour. I bet I could make a version of this at home that would be fine, though.

Comment

Not worth it for me. Wheat is bad news for me joints. I suppose if you're already at you ideal weight, feel great and just feel like having it, Then do it. Just be aware of the possible repercussions. Wine isn't great for me but that doesn't stop me from having a glass or two or three once in a while. You could make a tempura batter with rice flour, and do sweet potato chips. Fry in beef fat. I'd eat that.

Comment

Originally posted by localad View Post
                            Fish (seabass) 'chips' and mushy peas (avocado and mint puree)

(from the UK and ROI Primal group pages)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ussion419.html
                            I'm in!
                            Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                            Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                            CW: 146.8 lbs
                            GW 140 lbs
                            A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I love a good fish and chip meal, unfortunately here they are mostly cooked in oils and either battered or breaded BUT for some weird reason eating battered fish does not upset my stomach and give me bloat whereas bread and pasta do (which I don't eat), maybe it's something to do with it being deep fried. So once a month I have the above with my family and enjoy it!
                              By the way I have lost all the weight I wanted to (10kg/22lbs) following Primal Blueprint and I feel fab and have dropped two sizes and am getting favourable comments from people, but I am still going to enjoy fish and chips occasionally. Oh, and I do eat basmati rice and potatoes on a regular basis and drink wine and the weight still came off although it took 11 months.

Comment

Originally posted by shadgal View Post
                                I love a good fish and chip meal, unfortunately here they are mostly cooked in oils and either battered or breaded BUT for some weird reason eating battered fish does not upset my stomach and give me bloat whereas bread and pasta do (which I don't eat), maybe it's something to do with it being deep fried. So once a month I have the above with my family and enjoy it!
                                By the way I have lost all the weight I wanted to (10kg/22lbs) following Primal Blueprint and I feel fab and have dropped two sizes and am getting favourable comments from people, but I am still going to enjoy fish and chips occasionally. Oh, and I do eat basmati rice and potatoes on a regular basis and drink wine and the weight still came off although it took 11 months.
                                +1 on potato, basmati rice and wine! I do these occasionally (wine more than occasionally) and my weight is absolutely steady. As is blood pressure - so I'm OK with that.

Comment

Working...
                                X