Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best piece of "recruitment" literature?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best piece of "recruitment" literature?

I recognize that you can't force people to make dietary changes, and people have to be motivated from within. Still, I sometimes discuss diet with people committed to a different dietary outlook (e.g., low-fat diets, high-grain vegetarian/vegan diets), and we have a good-natured debate about the merits of our diets.

If you could just show someone one piece of literature (not an entire book - preferably an article, or even a forum post) to convey the merits of eating primal/paleo, what would it be?

Your own experience, and that of people that you personally know.
    Lifting Journal

Comment

this one seems to appeal to a lot of people... I managed to recruit several people with this, and then a little while later embarked on a Primal Challenge - and managed to get a few more who were intrigued by whole30/paleo but not wanting to go so extreme.

The Whole30, Version 3.0 | Whole9 | Let us change your life.
      Robin
      ~primal mama to 3~

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
        I think this is very important; but it's also overlooked, and understated. I think I should just let people see me; see the way I eat; then, the questions will come out.
        If you have a problem with what you read: 1. Get a dictionary 2. Don't read it 3. Grow up 4. After 3, go back to 1/ or 2. -- Dennis Blue. | "I don't care about your opinion, only your analysis"- Professor Calabrese. | "Life is more important than _______" - Drew | I eat animals that eat vegetables -- Matt Millen, former NFL Linebacker. | "This country is built on sugar & shit that comes in a box marinated in gluten - abc123

Comment

Originally posted by lssanjose View Post
          I think this is very important; but it's also overlooked, and understated. I think I should just let people see me; see the way I eat; then, the questions will come out.
          Same here. For years I was known as "the huge, unhealthy one," and I knew a lot of people because I was on the road as a journalist every week and did a big web site. When the weight disappeared fairly quickly, I didn't have much trouble convincing people that what I did worked. That was 2007/8 and I still get a lot of questions, which is one of the main reasons I started blogging it.

Comment

Gary Taubes' "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and "Why We Get Fat". Both books completely changed the way I look at food and nutrition in general.

Comment

I'd say a couple of Mark's posts would be best.

The Definitive Guide to Insulin, Blood Sugar & Type 2 Diabetes (and you’ll understand it) | Mark's Daily Apple

This one's good because diabetes is clearly an epidemic. Even those who maintain a normal weight are being diagnosed in greater numbers. We're obviously doing something wrong. Explain that there are people on these forums who've reversed diabetes and ditched the drugs.

Also look at other definitive guides...

Is Saturated Fat Healthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Comment

I know the feeling of wanting to share with others (especially people you care about) how awesome this lifestyle is, but still the idea of "recruitment" sounds really weird to me. I don't get into debates and occasionally I'll share the things that made the biggest improvements for me (cutting gluten and veg oils), but that's about it. I didn't have to recruit my husband, I just started cooking differently and he liked how he felt.

Comment

My Chiropractor gave me an article called "Against the Grain" It is short and very readable. I was convinced. You should be able to find it on the internet.
                  Primal since 9/24/2010
                  "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
                  MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Comment

Originally posted by Apex Predator View Post
                    Yeah, but not exactly literature

Comment

I have not been trying to actively recruit people, nor would I. I am not vocal about my lifestyle, and if someone asks if I'm on the Atkins diet when I order a hamburger without a bun, I tell them simply that I'm trying the primal lifestyle. They'll either show an interest or they will look at me like I'm an alien - Unfortunately the latter response has been more common. If they show interest, I point them toward The Primal Blueprint. I also make sure to mention the fact that I'm new to this lifestyle and I realize that the results are not going to be immediate. My de facto mother-in-law asked about primal living and so I directed her toward this website and she said she still didn't "get it". Oh well.

The best recruitment you can do is by thriving. If someone is interested, they will ask. If they aren't close enough to you to notice positive changes in your life, then you probably don't know them well enough to be commenting on their lifestyle. I would consider prosthelytizing this lifestyle to be about as successful as ringing someone's doorbell and handing them a brochure on how God can change their life. Unless you are a dietician or nutritionist by trade, I would not actively attempt to recruit.

I will say that I actually got someone to read The Omnivore's Dilemma which, rather than focusing on nutrition, is a really interesting look into agriculture and societal impacts of the worst "food" ever, corn. Made a huge difference to this person who was not really interested in nutrition so much as economic and cultural impact.

Comment

Originally posted by Pitter View Post
                        I know the feeling of wanting to share with others (especially people you care about) how awesome this lifestyle is, but still the idea of "recruitment" sounds really weird to me. I don't get into debates and occasionally I'll share the things that made the biggest improvements for me (cutting gluten and veg oils), but that's about it. I didn't have to recruit my husband, I just started cooking differently and he liked how he felt.
                        I just get in good-natured debates, especially because nutrition is an interest of mine. So I'm looking for a concise, nicely-written piece on the merits of this lifestyle, because sometimes I find myself wanting to do a little info exchange ("I'll read your article if you read mine"). Again, I'm not really actively recruiting people - sometimes I just want to present this lifestyle in a concise, accurate and understandable way.

Comment

This one might appeal to the “bros” in your life, warning, it’s got a lot of profanity but I like how REAL it is.

It should also appeal to anybody you know (talking to all of you) that practices a sport, specifically martial arts, but any athlete you know that has a horrible diet can benefit from reading it. You can then also attach links that explain further what Paleo is, but Tucker does a pretty great job at it.

Adult Swim : Celeb-Nerdy with Tucker Max
                          It may not appeal to women that are familiar with Tucker Max’s work (misogynistic beer drinking and hitting on women and making fun of the ugly ones) but he’s actually a pretty smart guy and he’s grasped the paleo concept VERY well. According to this article he’s VERY paleo but still acknowledges that some Neolithic foods (like snickers bars) are something he’ll partake in but knows is bad for him, etc.
                          I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

This is the list I recently sent a woman I met in the company cafeteria. She was ordering grilled salmon and vegetables, but her face turned to absolute horror when she saw the chef spray PAM all over everything, so we got to talking. Her nutritionist has her on an elimination diet for various problems, but it was all brand new to her. She asked for more info, this is what I sent her:

Gluten:

Mark Hyman, MD: Gluten: What You Don't Know Might Kill You

A great article on grains:

How to Keep Feces Out of Your Bloodstream (or Lose 10 Pounds in 14 Days)

Vit D:

Mark Hyman, MD: Vitamin D: Why You Are Probably NOT Getting Enough and How That Makes You Sick

Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. This site is invaluable. His version of Paleo includes dairy, but lots of people who follow his plan exclude it. Read his Primal Blueprint 101 for tons of info, and click through the Success Stories:

Mark's Daily Apple

Some blogs – read back through old posts:

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.

The official blog for the Track Your Plaque program for heart disease prevention and reversal

Cooling Inflammation

Archevore - Archevore Diet

Some books:

The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
                            Amazon.com: The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet (9780982565841): Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain Ph.D.: Books

Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes
                            Amazon.com: Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It (9780307272706): Gary Taubes: Books

The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
                            Amazon.com: The Primal Blueprint Cookbook: Primal, Low Carb, Paleo, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free (9780982207727): Mark Sisson, Jennifer Meier: Books

The Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet
                            Amazon.com: perfect health diet: Books

Comment

Sorry dupe post.
                              Last edited by aktres; 05-19-2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X