X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien vegetables at Trader Joe's!

See what I got at Trader Joe's today for $2.99:

http://www.doyletics.com/images/92bstree.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of brussel sprouts, but I've never seen them on the stalk before, and I just HAD to get one! Is that one of the coolest vegetables you've ever seen, or what?

I'm leaving it on the table today for a centerpiece. The house is so darn cold (our heater is broken) that it should last till tomorrow just fine.

DM: What a beautiful sight!!!

Never had a "tree" of them before, but we bought sme sprouts at the Farmers' Market yesterday and sauteed them. How are you going to cook your little beauties?

Comment

Oh wow! Those are very cool. I actually do like them steamed. I'll have to grab some of those this week.

Comment

Bake it whole!!

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
        ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

I haven&#39;t decided yet: either baked, steamed or sauteed. Not sure if I want them in some sort of sauce, or just drizzled in coconut oil.

By the way, that&#39;s not a personal photo; it&#39;s an image I found through google. That kitchen looks way too organized to be mine!

Comment

My favorite way to cook brussels sprouts:

12 Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved

2 cloves garlic, minced

4 slices bacon

2 TB olive oil

Black pepper to taste

2 TB walnuts

Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, rendering fat. Remove bacon to paper towels to drain. Add olive oil, garlic and brussels sprouts to pan. Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until sprouts begin to caramelize. Crumble bacon and return to pan. Season with pepper.

Toast walnuts in dry pan over stove. Add to sprout pan, toss, and serve.

Serves 2.

Nutrition information per serving:

Calories: 345

Fat: 19g

Cholesterol: 32mg

Sodium: 620mg

Carbs: 6g

Sugars: 2g

Fiber: 3g

Protein: 16g

Om, nom, nom.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

That does look good; I&#39;ll have to see if I can pick up a small pack of bacon at the store tomorrow.

I rarely cook bacon, not because I don&#39;t like it, but because it always makes such a mess spattering all over the place.

Comment

I&#39;ll try that, Griff.

Yes you can get brussel sprout trees in UK around Christmas (since they are part of Christmas dinner here) although you can get the brussels any time in small bags.

Comment

I saw them on the stalk at the farmer&#39;s market last year for the first time, it&#39;s so cool! It&#39;s amazing to see how things are actually grown, I think.

Griff, that recipe sounds really good! I haven&#39;t been a huge fan of brussel sprouts in the past, but maybe I&#39;ll like them after being carmelized in bacon grease Works for just about anything else! I&#39;ve heard they&#39;re very good halved and roasted as well.

Oh dragonmamma I cook my bacon in the oven, so that it doesn&#39;t spatter everywhere. I hate that! It takes about 10 minutes per side in a 375 degree oven for chewy-ish bacon (my fave), and as long as you don&#39;t use a flat cookie sheet with no sides, you&#39;ll have lovely bacon grease to fry with as well!

You are what you eat,
                  and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

But then doesn&#39;t it just spatter all over the oven? If there&#39;s anything I hate worse than cleaning up a greasy stove-top, it&#39;s cleaning up a greasy oven!

Comment

Since our household went Primal, I&#39;ve been finding bacon grease in places I didn&#39;t think to be possible :-O

Our cookware is well seasoned now!

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

I got one of those "spatter screens" last year that have a handle and just slide over the top of a frying pan. Looks like a very fine-meshed screen door. The spatter screen itself is a little tricky to perfectly clean after cookup, particularly if you are set on getting every minute particle of grease out of the crevices in the screen. But if you&#39;re like me and consider good enough to be good enough when it comes to cooking items (particularly those that don&#39;t actually contact any food), the spatter screen will become your new best friend. - JC

Comment

I found out why brussel sprouts aren&#39;t usually sold on the stalk:

1. They&#39;re a total pain in the butt to cut off.

2. Most people probably don&#39;t want that many brussel sprouts. There were 69; I didn&#39;t weigh them, but I&#39;m guessing it was around 5 pounds worth.

So, I made Griff&#39;s recipe last night with some variations. I used half the brussel sprouts and a full pound of bacon for three of us. My son doesn&#39;t like nuts, so I dished his out before adding cashews instead of walnuts, because that&#39;s what I had on hand.

Pretty good; they all got eaten, even though my son and I aren&#39;t really crazy about brussel sprouts. They&#39;re still not my favorite, but the bacon made them palatable.

Comment

Love brussels sprouts. Well, I have to day, haven&#39;t met a brassica that I don&#39;t like. But these are one of my favorites. I really like them steamed them with equal parts sliced leeks & carrots. Then make a "dressing" with melted butter, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and horseradish. Toss all together. Yum!

I&#39;m gonna have to try Griff&#39;s recipe, though. Bacon + brussel sprouts - I&#39;d be in heaven!

Comment

Dragonmamma: If you want, you can heat up the oven to about 325 and put the pan in there for twenty minutes or so, after you&#39;ve combined everything. It can sweeten the sprouts slightly.

The best way to get good sprouts is make sure that the ones you got are really ripe. If they&#39;re hard, they&#39;re not ripe and likely to be bitter. If they "give" a bit when you squeeze them, they&#39;re perfect for this kind of dish.

Glad that they were palatable. (Bacon fixes anything, right?)

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Working...
                              X