CW Catching onto Fruit Juices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CW Catching onto Fruit Juices

Big story in the LA Times about increasing concern about the overconsumption of sweet fruit juices.

http://tinyurl.com/yg87qsu

They had some good quotes from Dr. Lustig of "Sugar: The Bitter Truth." Frankly, I was surprised to see how the write really spoke out against juices. The spokespeople for juice were coated, but she stuck to the "this is too much" slant.

Wow, OTB---thanks for the link.

Maybe there's hope for CW after all ;-)

Comment

Not long after reading your link, I had to go try fix someone's phone and we got to talking about diet (she wanted to lose a few kgs) and then she proceeds to tell me that it was so hot today that she couldn't resist having not one, but TWO juices from the caferteria!

I had what my sister would call a "dot dot dot" moment. Like in the comic books, when a character is left speechless/flabbergast/confused/etc.

I did suggest maybe that wasn't the way to go about reaching her goal. Very nicely, of course.

Comment

"I'll bet you wouldn't eat the sugar in six oranges, would you?"

"No!"

"That's what a glass of OJ is. Not an orange, but six."

Comment

Seems overstated. When I used to squeeze my own juice from orange I would get a glass of OJ out of two oranges.

Comment

Overstated or not, fruit juice is THE SAME as washing a vitamin down with a soda. Sugar is sugar is sugar. The CW "all things in moderation" angle was evident in the LA Times piece, they talked about "too much" juice being bad nutrition. I'd put forth the statement that any fruit juice is too much fruit juice.

Comment

I never understood why people think fruit juice is a healthier alternative to fruit. Even if you don't know that all it does it have a higher sugar concentration and a quicker hit on the insulin, wouldn't logic tell you hey.. an orange, a glass of oj, isn't this the same sh.. stuff?

Comment

I found a cookbook in my cupboard entitled somethin got the effect of 'Cooking without Sugar'. But, almost every recipe that I was interested in called for concentrated fruit juice. Ugh!

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

@Niklas:

Although squeezing 2 fresh oranges would yield a glass, notice that you didn't add additional sugar. The boxed juice companies did. So that might well amount to the sugar in six oranges in a glass.

Comment

Thanks for the article OTB. Good to know news like this is becoming mainstream. One of my colleagues was sick and she came back this morning and was telling me how she treated her cold. She said she drank lots of OJ (better than coke I suppose) and right now she's drinking Red Bull so she can feel energetic. I looked at the ingredients and they read: sucrose, glucose, caffeine,... sigh. I just forwarded this link to her.

Comment

Ha...I always laugh at people that drink those 'energy drinks' like Red Bull. There was a study done on Red Bull that determined if one would want to get energy from drinking Red Bull, you would have to drink three of them for any noticeable effect. Can you say placebo?

I grok, therefore I am.

Comment

LTC that must be why energy drinks are now sold in those GIANT cans. Ugh they're so gross too...

My husband used to LOVE orange juice (and of course we'd buy the stuff fortified with calcium and vitamin D, because that makes it better right?!?), but luckily he now gets immediate stomach "feedback" from drinking it. I hate buying the stuff because it's expensive and I say just eat a piece of fruit if you want the juice, so I don't mind that he can't handle it anymore

Apple juice is even worse for him, I just wish diet Coke would do the same thing...

You are what you eat,
                        and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

Comment

Hannah, my husband used to drink OJ too and he'd complain about how it gave him acne. Back then in my all-knowing CW, I thought it was ridiculous to think something natural like OJ would cause it. Well, now we know better...

Comment

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/boos...-as-soda.html/

Comment

Working...
                            X