Not hungry all the time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not hungry all the time

I keep posting questions and problems but right now I feel inspired to post a rave

The thing that amazes me most about eating primal is that I'm *not hungry all the time* anymore.

I used to just snack all day long. And if I didn't eat soon enough, I would get irritable. Now I go hours without eating. And when I do get hungry, it's ok. Instead of crankily going to a drive through so I don't bite someone's head off, I am easily able to just be hungry until I can find food. It's just normal hunger, not the overwhelming feeling (the shakiness, the irritability, the tiredness) I felt before.

And when I do get the food, I eat it normally instead of ravenously shoveling it in and going for more and more and more (til I gave myself a stomach ache) like I used to.

I went 5 1/2 hours without eating today. I was only hungry the last hour and it was fine. I just felt hungry. Not awful, not sick, not like I was going to pass out. Just hungry. I came home, got some food and ate it at a reasonable pace, not feeling like I had to shovel it in as fast as possible. This is just so amazing to me!

This is not will power or anything like that. Gah, I got that message often enough from the media! But no, I'm not weak willed. It's definitely something physical and there is obviously something that refined carbs do to me. I have friends who eat plenty of refined carbs who never acted like I did. They're all naturally thin too and I'm very much not so hey, maybe carbs don't affect everyone the same. But for me, the difference is amazing. I feel so much better and this is just barely 3 weeks eating this way.

This is so obviously the right way for me to eat.

Just feeling grateful I finally decided to go against what I was taught was healthy my whole life and finally try low carb (low carb is bad enough, but low carb high fat? What am I, trying to kill myself? )

Congrats! The first person I turned on to primal suffered from horrible hunger when she didn't eat all the time.
    Lifting Journal

Comment

I am experiencing the same freedom from feeling like I "have to" eat ASAP when I get hungry, to prevent nuclear meltdown and consumption of mass quantities.

I used to say I felt like a shark-- I could eat any time of the day or night, always cruising for my next bite...
      cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
      2/20/11: 210
      9/19/11: 185.5
      goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Comment

Sounds like blood sugar stabilization to me! WTG!!!!

Comment

ShannonCC,
          This is my favorite thing about going Primal. For the first time in my life I am not starving all the time. Sometimes on weekends I go from breakfast till dinnertime and forget to eat. That never happened to me in my entire life. It is very freeing to not feel tethered to food. I know exactly how you feel. It is great eh??

Comment

I know exactly what you are talking about! I've always loved food, and I still do, but now I'm not constantly thinking about it, thinking about what and when I'm going to eat next, as soon as I finish a meal. Hunger is no longer a reason for panic, it's just...hunger.

One of the lines that struck me most when I read Why We Get Fat was something about not being fat because we are lazy and lack willpower, but we lack willpower and get lazy because we are fat. I really do think that it's not a matter of raw willpower, it's about eating the right foods and healing yourself. Willpower becomes moot.
            My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

I suffer from the shakes and panic, too, when I eat a CW diet. The primal way of eating has helped so much. And i LIKE being hungry before I eat because the food tastes so much better. I didn't used to be able to get that hungry without feeling sick, so this is nice.

Comment

Me too! I ate breakfast (a can of salmon) at 12:30pm today
                Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

Yeah, I can't believe this myself. I remember becoming an intolerable person when I would go for over 4 hours without food - it was ridiculous how irritable I would get. I would have stomach pains and become fixated on eating something. Now I can go for extended periods without discomfort.

It's apparent to me now that grains were wreaking havoc on my system. I was vegetarian in my teens, and I ate a ton of fake meats (loaded with wheat gluten), which probably didn't help.

Comment

Yes, after going primal/paleo, you will suffer less hunger. I fast everyday for 16-18 hours (sometimes 20 hours). I am not just not hungry during that time. My dinner is huge (about 1,200 calories), full of fat, and moderate protein/carbs. It really sustains me for a long time.

Comment

I never had an 'off' switch. Now, I have one
                      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                      CW: 146.8 lbs
                      GW 140 lbs
                      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

I love all these stories

Yes, the hunger pains. No more! My stomach used to hurt if I didn't eat for a few hours. Now after 4 or 5 hours I felt hungry, but it wasn't painful. I really thought that was normal to feel so awful.

Comment

Welcome to the club, we all know this. It's like entering the matrix except the "other side" is a lot easier to live in. not being Hypoglycemic on a daily basis is not only nice, but the way your body was supposed to be run.
                          If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Me too, it's amazing isn't it! I was actually able to take a new job which involves working at lunchtime and not getting lunch till about 1.30pm. Funny thing is, even when I eat sugary stuff my blood sugar is more stable as long as I stay away from grains and starches, weird.
                            Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                            Harold Whitman

Comment

I cannot get over the fact that I am not ravenously hungry any more. I was just like you - constantly worrying about where my next meal was coming from. Getting ratty and shaky if I hadn't eaten for a few hours. The shaking was strange. It wasn't demonstrated physically, it was like I was shaking inside and felt all blurry and kind of like palpitations. I had weird stomach pains too, like my stomach would start growling and feel like it was producing acid.I would think "sh*t I had better eat a sweet" and sure enough the pain went when I ate a sweet but not for long...I'd also get sugar highs. If I ate alot of sugar I would be like I was on drugs, all hyper and crazy but my head was asleep.

Comment

Working...
                              X