night eating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• night eating

i was wondering if anyone has issues with eating at night. after dinner i seem to get an almost unendurable impulse to eat despite not being hungry. i've tried to get around it by eating sunflower seeds, since they require a lot of work to eat and they keep my hands and mouth busy. but, i'd like to just be satisfied after dinner the way i am after breakfast and lunch.

any thoughts?
    my health blog

I find when I'm rummaging thru the fridge and cabinets that I'm actually bored... Then I go do some reading, meditation, small set of push ups, squats or pull-ups.
    Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Comment

I like ELCO14's viewpoint. Try going for a walk if you feel that you've eaten enough. I'll bet your appetite is diminshed soon.

Comment

Once I made a conscious decision to not eat anything between supper at 5pm and breakfast at 11am, it made evening snacking more bearable. The desire to eat is still there, down deep, but I can keep it at bay now. I gained 50lbs in 5 years by eating non-stop from the time I got home from work until I went to bed:
        ie, snack...supper...dessert...leftovers...something salty...something sweet...more salt...more sweet...something healthy (hmmm nuts!)...peanut butter!...now something salty...OK, time for bed.

Comment

Originally posted by ELCO14 View Post
          I find when I'm rummaging thru the fridge and cabinets that I'm actually bored... Then I go do some reading, meditation, small set of push ups, squats or pull-ups.
          I agree with this 100%. If you are busy doing something productive such as reading a book, taking a walk outside, meditating or anything of that nature, then you are much less likely to eat when you are not hungry.
          Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Comment

Yep, that sounds like boredom more than anything. I never just sit and watch TV, I usually knit or fold laundry or something so I won't want to munch on something.
            My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

It may be emotional eating - perhaps try tuning into your feelings and seeing if there is something behind the feeling to eat. Sometimes for me wanting to eat all the time can mean I am anxious about something.
              Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

I have a problem with this too. It's a habit to eat out of boredom, or as a way to feel like you're unwinding from the day. Better to distract yourself with something else, though I find that the rare times I'm home at night and feel like watching TV or reading, I want to be snacking while I do it

Comment

it doesn't seem to matter what i'm doing. even if i'm out and engaged in something, i can't stop thinking about eating something. it's the most bizarre thing. the best i can do is to try to keep myself busy, or choose things that have low calories/carbs and take a lot of effort to eat.

i have so many hormonal issues that i can't help but wonder if it has something to do with that. imbalanced cortisol or melatonin? i don't know.
                  my health blog

Comment

Or it could be a digestive issue or a food sensitivity. Sometimes those can feel like hunger. You could try taking digestive enzymes. Or make a food diary and track it to see if certain foods are triggering it.

Comment

Originally posted by patchooli View Post
                      it doesn't seem to matter what i'm doing. even if i'm out and engaged in something, i can't stop thinking about eating something. it's the most bizarre thing. the best i can do is to try to keep myself busy, or choose things that have low calories/carbs and take a lot of effort to eat.

i have so many hormonal issues that i can't help but wonder if it has something to do with that. imbalanced cortisol or melatonin? i don't know.
                      make sure you eat enough fat/cholesterol to keep you body happy
                      Get on my Level
                      http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by patchooli View Post

I'm not sure how long you've been trying to avoid chowing down at night, but I will say that it DOES take a significant amount of time to get rid of habits like this, and during that time, the habit itself will definitely be on your mind. As I've said I struggled with late night eating (it seemed I was addicted to the act of putting food into my mouth, who knows why) ... It took time (months) but after successfully refusing to indulge the habit over a long period, the urge decreased substantially.

Comment

Is it stomach hunger, or just feeling like you want to eat?
                          Karin

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by JKC View Post
                            Is it stomach hunger, or just feeling like you want to eat?
                            rarely is it stomach hunger. though, i find that if i don't give in, i will wake up ravenously hungry in the middle of the night.

mostly it feels like a compulsion, like wanting a cigarette for those who smoke or used to. it's very intense and does not go away until i eat.

i'm not trying to make excuses either . i totally know it may just be psychological. it doesn't feel that way, though.
                            my health blog

Comment

No, that sounds like it is real hunger, if you wake up hungry in the middle of the night. Maybe you do need to eat more. Make sure your dinner is high fat enough to keep you sated. If I don't fill up properly at meals I still will want to graze a few hours later. Make sure you are eating enough.
                              Karin

Comment

Working...
                              X