Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st carb cycle

wowowowwowoow i can't focus!!!!!!!
    i'm doing my first carb cycle since going primal (2 months)
    i've eaten around 200 carbs so far today and my mind is all over the place! i've eaten a bit of rice ( not primal i know) a banana, and a few small yams on top of some chicken...

i was wondering if any of you have noted similar experiences on high carb days? could it be the higher blood sugar?

i feel like i'm walking around in a dream...
    thanks
    ☆*☆my journal☆*☆

I did this yesterday. Lots of white rice, 2 sweet potatoes, some grapes, and a banana. I didn't sleep last night (not really unusual) because I felt a little too "wired" (unusual). I feel like crap today. It could be allergies/congestion in my ears that's making me feel dizzy/nauseous. I do hope that's what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by JenCat View Post
      I did this yesterday. Lots of white rice, 2 sweet potatoes, some grapes, and a banana. I didn't sleep last night (not really unusual) because I felt a little too "wired" (unusual). I feel like crap today. It could be allergies/congestion in my ears that's making me feel dizzy/nauseous. I do hope that's what it is.
      I had trouble sleeping too, but woke up today feeling much smaller than i have in a long time! my waist was at 27" instead of its normal 29"?
      got rid of a lot of bloat i guess....
      ☆*☆my journal☆*☆

Comment

Are you sure a "bit of rice", a banana and some yams are 200g of carbs that you ate? I just had almost 1kg in combined sweet potatoes and red potatoes and I have just a bit over 200g for my lunch today.

Comment

Originally posted by eira View Post
          I had trouble sleeping too, but woke up today feeling much smaller than i have in a long time! my waist was at 27" instead of its normal 29"?
          got rid of a lot of bloat i guess....
          I was totally bloated yesterday - HUGE. Feels better today, but not feeling particularly slim. I haven't measured, but we'll see if my jeans feel any looser today.

Comment

There may be something to this. I just slipped right into my fresh-from-the-dryer jeans. Usually I have to suck in a bit to get them buttoned, then they loosen up throughout the day. No struggling this morning. Cool.

Comment

Nice!

I tried carb cycling a couple of times and while it does work, I felt like crap for a day and a half.

IFing and eating one meal a day seems to be working better for me. Less to think about as well. Apparently, IF doesn't result in the same drop in leptin that "regular" vlc eating does--and I didn't read this until recently.
              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Okay, II am interested in the carb cycling to break through a fat loss plateau. Help a brother out! Is it every fourth day you add 200 grams of carbs? I am very, very low carb right now, probably 40 g max a day. Will the IFing with one meal per day yield the same results??

Comment

Originally posted by GUN5LING3R View Post
                  Okay, II am interested in the carb cycling to break through a fat loss plateau. Help a brother out! Is it every fourth day you add 200 grams of carbs? I am very, very low carb right now, probably 40 g max a day. Will the IFing with one meal per day yield the same results??
                  Check out this thread for some info:
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29812.html
                  I think I'm going to try it once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by JenCat View Post
                    Check out this thread for some info:
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29812.html
                    I think I'm going to try it once a week.
                    Thanks!! =))

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                      Nice!
                      IFing and eating one meal a day seems to be working better for me. Less to think about as well. Apparently, IF doesn't result in the same drop in leptin that "regular" vlc eating does--and I didn't read this until recently.
                      Is there an article or reference you can point me to about this? I'm interested in this. Thanks!

Comment

I need to write a step-by-step on this. This really does work with the appropriate candidates.
                        Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 05-16-2011, 10:43 AM.
                        Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
                          I need to write a step-by-step on this. This really does work with the appropriate candidates.
                          Please do bro!! What constitutes the appropriate candidate??

Comment

Choc - Maybe 2 weeks of carb refeeds does not a success story make, but here's mine anyway.

Background: 45yo male, 5'11, 210lbs Oct 2010, 185lbs by 1 Apr 2011. Stuck at 185 for 6 weeks. Primal body weight exercises 4X week, sprinting 1X week, very active otherwise. IF'ing M-F, 18-6. Strict primal diet.

Based on your inputs, I tried a carb refeed on 6 April (two Fridays ago). It was a heavy workout day, and I ate only 4 or 5 chicken breasts w/o skin for protein, veggies, 4 bananas, 1 cup brown rice, and a couple pears. The next few days were regular PB eating (50-100 carbs). By that Monday, I felt noticeably leaner. I didn't weigh until the next Friday and was down to 182lbs. (3 pound loss).

This past Friday (13 Apr), I did another refeed. This time with starch instead of fruit. Ate huge plate of hashbrowns cooked in minimal coconut oil and lean canadian bacon for breakfast, 2-3 cups of brown rice for lunch with chicken breast, more rice and chicken for supper w/salad. Just weighed this morning and I'm at 180. (2 more pounds loss)

I weighed myself first thing in morning before eating or drinking anything, so I think it is fairly accurate in showing the loss as fat loss as opposed to water weight.

I was reading up on the traditional low-carb diets last year, and many seem to require a cheat meal and increasing amounts of carbs after an initial 'induction' or whatever the specific plan calls it. What I notice is that people are afraid to have their cheat meal and are also reluctant to add carbs back in their diet. But I think you've nailed it perfectly by calling it 'carb re-feed'--and it really seems to work in a way that is sustainable for the long term. I'll bet this is even more important for those who are also building muscle in the process of losing weight.

Anyway - thanks for keeping on harping about carb refeeds, it sunk in and I think works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by otzi View Post
                              Choc - Maybe 2 weeks of carb refeeds does not a success story make, but here's mine anyway.

Background: 45yo male, 5'11, 210lbs Oct 2010, 185lbs by 1 Apr 2011. Stuck at 185 for 6 weeks. Primal body weight exercises 4X week, sprinting 1X week, very active otherwise. IF'ing M-F, 18-6. Strict primal diet.

Based on your inputs, I tried a carb refeed on 6 April (two Fridays ago). It was a heavy workout day, and I ate only 4 or 5 chicken breasts w/o skin for protein, veggies, 4 bananas, 1 cup brown rice, and a couple pears. The next few days were regular PB eating (50-100 carbs). By that Monday, I felt noticeably leaner. I didn't weigh until the next Friday and was down to 182lbs. (3 pound loss).

This past Friday (13 Apr), I did another refeed. This time with starch instead of fruit. Ate huge plate of hashbrowns cooked in minimal coconut oil and lean canadian bacon for breakfast, 2-3 cups of brown rice for lunch with chicken breast, more rice and chicken for supper w/salad. Just weighed this morning and I'm at 180. (2 more pounds loss)

I weighed myself first thing in morning before eating or drinking anything, so I think it is fairly accurate in showing the loss as fat loss as opposed to water weight.

I was reading up on the traditional low-carb diets last year, and many seem to require a cheat meal and increasing amounts of carbs after an initial 'induction' or whatever the specific plan calls it. What I notice is that people are afraid to have their cheat meal and are also reluctant to add carbs back in their diet. But I think you've nailed it perfectly by calling it 'carb re-feed'--and it really seems to work in a way that is sustainable for the long term. I'll bet this is even more important for those who are also building muscle in the process of losing weight.

Anyway - thanks for keeping on harping about carb refeeds, it sunk in and I think works for me.
                              This is inspiring as my numbers were/are similiar to yours. You hit the nail on the head when you say that people get scared to reintroduce carbs to their diet- THATS ME! I am getting amped to try this now. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                              X