Alcohol Fast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alcohol Fast

O.K., I admit it, my biggest non-primal weakness is beer. A pint or two always puts a smile on my face. It's not an every day thing for me, but I think I'd feel better and make better progress toward my primal goals if I cut back a lot. To this end I'm going to go on an alcohol fast until the 26th (U.S. Thanksgiving). Anyone want to join in with me?

Drat. At first, I thought you were proposing a fast on food, consuming alcohol only!

Although I love whiskey and wine, I almost never drink except socially...and I'm not a terribly social person, so that's not often. I do notice a difference in energy levels, quality of sleep, and leanness since the days when I had a drink (or several) every night -- not conclusive, because other factors have changed, but it stands to reason that cutting the booze is a good thing.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

I'm in! I don't drink much either but it seems like when I'm eating really clean I can barely handle a glass of wine. Alcohol almost requires something starchy for me to slow it down and I definitely don't want to reach for that. I tend to drink too much wine when I hang out with my neighbor and I've been trying to nip that in the bud so this is perfect timing.

Comment

This is indeed timely! I started falling into the pattern of, "I've been good all week, so we can go out and have some drinks this weekend." We also have some friends who like to drink quite a lot, and I was going with the flow, so to speak. Time to tighten things up a bit!

Comment

A great idea but a misleading name for it

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Hey Geoff. I think you participated in my "functional alcoholism" thread so you know my struggles. I just want to mention that calming herbal teas definitely helped me get through my fast and continue to help me moderate. I'm also a big fan of apple cider and I found a product form Ziegler's that is like a mulling spice teabag for cider. I highly recommend.

Good luck and feel free to hit me up!

Comment

So how's your battle with beer coming along glorth? Hope it's going well for you.

Comment

OK. I'm hangin' in there. Managed to resist a Sunday afternoon beer or glass of wine. I am committed to being alcohol free until Thanksgiving. Not that I expect it to be too hard but I think it's a good mini-challenge.

Comment

@Glorth -

Thanks much for the recommendation. Having alternate beverages in the house is certainly important for me. I made a big batch of honeybush tea last night to drink iced. Cider is great, but a little high in carbs for me. Yesterday wasn't hard and I slept better last night.

Comment

Nice. I started on this as well on the 2nd. I drank 10 days out of 14 previous to that so I think I needed it.

Comment

Some things to keep you motivated (though you already now I am sure).

Nothing will keep you from burning fat as fuel more effectivly than alcohol.

First you got to burn through the alcohol calories (7 per unit) then the carb calories (depending on glycogen stores) then back to FFA.

Ketosis stops dead in it's tracks waiting for the liver to process the alcohol.

You should see some progress in losing fat if you stay of the beer.

Don't be a paleotard...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...oxidation.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...torage-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...rn-fat-qa.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nut...-you-need.html

Comment

Thanks Chima. Jillian Michaels has often said that alcohol stops fat burning completely. That is quite the motivation to not imbibe.

Comment

This is timely for me as well. I feel like I've been drinking too much and was starting to wonder if it was the culprit responsible for my skin developing chronic blemishes (not to mention stalling fat loss). Red wine in particular seems to set it off -- perhaps it's the tannins?

Anyway, I'm not going to kid myself and say I won't drink at all until Thanksgiving because that is not realistic given that "drinks with the girls" is one of my main forms of socializing, hah. I'm cutting out the glass of wine or beer with dinner and will restrict the social drinking to once per week.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

I thought this fast was going to be for a bit longer than a couple weeks. Baby steps I guess.

Comment

Everyone has to start somewhere... good luck to you all!

Comment

Working...
                              X