How common is meat intolerance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How common is meat intolerance?

I was wondering this this morning. I've been eating chicken thighs (3 a day) for five days now, as I found some on offer and no room in the freezer. Anyway, today I'm feeling awful. Really bloated and painful stomach.

Do people develop intolerance to meat that could cause these symptoms? And do you find that rotating your foods, or cutting them out for several weeks prevents any problems?

That probably has nothing to do with the chicken, unless it's gone bad. Although, chicken's probably not the best thing to be eating at every meal for five days straight. I'd try rotating between some other proteins.

I've honestly never heard of such a thing as meat intolerance, aside from ex-vegetarians / vegans who need to adjust to it again. It seems like you would need to have an extremely damaged gut to not be able to digest plain old meat.
    Last edited by Styrofoam Jones; 05-15-2011, 07:54 AM.

Comment

It mostly affects women after marriage.
      Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
      Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
      LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
      HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
      TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

I don't digest chicken very well either.

It's a chicken thing, not a "meat" thing. (For me.)

Goat, lamb, beef, pork, ostrich, venison, bison, rabbit, frog, oyster, fish. I do pretty well with all of those.

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
          HAHAHA! Well played sir.
          My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
          www.greenlightjerky.com

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLightJerky View Post
            HAHAHA! Well played sir.
            x2

Comment

I'm thinking it may not be meat, but what your meat was fed.
              I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
              Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
              "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Comment

Originally posted by gojirama View Post
                I'm thinking it may not be meat, but what your meat was fed.
                Actually, chickens do eat seeds (read: grains) naturally. They just also need animal products (bugs, grubs, mice, etc) for optimum health.

I'd be leery of any meat that's been in the fridge for 5 days. If it is indeed the chicken that's the culprit I would suspect first and foremost that it's gone bad.

Comment

Meat intolerance is real!

Most of my life I was had digestion problems. (IBD, very bad constipation, waking up in the morning and feeling like I was experiencing morning sickness.) Finally, several months ago, I gave up eating meat to loose some weight. (Less calories in my meals.) My sinus problems, migraines, urinary tract infections, anxiety attacks, GI problems and immunity problems stopped completely! I talked to my mother and said I swore I was intolerant to meat. She said she worked with a woman who had the exact same symptoms I had if she ate any kind of meat. (That includes seafood.) Everything cleared up within a month and I had weight fall off like mad. My anxiety attacks that had been so bad that I went to see the doctor to make sure it wasn't a heart condition had even cleared up. (The doctor suggested it was edema from the allergies.) I attempted to eat some shrimp a few days ago and had the "greenies" diarrhea for two days. My advise is if meat makes you sick, give it up and see if it makes a difference. It won't hurt you and you will not believe how creative marketing has been to catch the non-meat eating market. You'll also find yourself more creative as well to create dishes to eat. I guess its rare to have this or maybe medical science isn't as aware of this condition yet.

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
                    ha ha
                    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Comment

There is a guy on another board that I post on who is fairly primal and totally on board with the whole idea, but he does think that he has problems with meat. He is currently exploring eating only meat that has led a completely natural life, no antibiotics or other 'stuff' and grass fed all the way. I will keep an eye on his posts and see if he comes up with anything.

Comment

I had my gallbladder out about three years ago, and soon after developed issues with red meat. Poultry and seafood were fine, but beef and bison would cause an immediate plummet in energy. I'd practically be falling asleep where I stood. After I started primal I tried eating lamb and bison and tolerated them ok, then successfully added beef back into my diet a couple months ago. I can only chalk it up to my digestive system finally figuring out how to get along without a gallbladder.

Comment

I was there...

I am "pork intolerant" and "milk intolerant" but in my personal research I have discovered that it's not the milk or the pork. I know this because I can drink raw milk til the day is gone, but I can't touch a single teaspoon of commercial processed milk. I haven't tried pasture raised pork, only because I have been so intolerant for so long and the reaction is so severe that I just avoid pork.

Yes, you can be "meat intolerant" but it's not the animal itself, but the way we (agribusiness) have changed the growing process and the processing process.

Good luck...
                          The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
                          Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
                          Pope John Paul II

Comment

This is a very interesting topic to explore. Can we through over and underexposure develop an intolerance to that which our body really, really needs (eg meat, for protein.)

I would wonder how other meats were handled, and the cleanliness of the meat being eaten, how it was raised, how it was prepared, and the general cleanliness and carefulness of preparation. Salmonella is more than just a fish that swims...
                            My Fitday public journal.
                            Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
                            Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
                            Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Comment

I refuse to eat meat out unless I know the company uses locally grown and healthy meat. I eat my own eggs and get bird meat (chicken and turkey when I don't have my own) from a local processor. If you ever want to know what's done to the meat you eat, I recommend watching the following documentaries, all available online: Food Inc, Frankensteer, King Corn. There are others, the new one's not out yet (Farmageddon) but I look forward to watching it.
                              The eyes of all hope in thee, O Lord: and thou givest them meat in due season.
                              Psalms 144:15

Annie Sires

Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought.
                              Pope John Paul II

Comment

Working...
                              X