What do you feed your dogs?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you feed your dogs?

I would LOVE to know your answers. I feed my dog crap. I want this to change.

The only real food we give him are baby carrots for treats. I gave him some bacon yesterday...
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Orijen
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Blue Wilderness Diet. No grains in it. I usually add ~ T of bacon grease or other cooked fat. The other feeder doesn't add the fat and they wait a few minutes for it. I give them each half a slice when I have bacon or pork belly.
      Beware of fake meat.

Comment

Chicken backs and vegetables.

Comment

Meat, bones, organ meats, the occasional veggie.

Comment

raw diet...the staples of their diet are whole chicken leg quarters, beef, eggs, liver, gizzards, green tripe, veggie mash.

eta: be careful with the bacon...it's high in fat and can cause pancreatitis in dogs that are not used to a high fat content/natural foods. Start with more natural, slightly leaner cuts of meat.
            Last edited by kennelmom; 05-15-2011, 06:40 AM.
            Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

At the moment I'm feeding Wellness dog food. When we move and are a bit settled I'll probably switch to raw. My main goal right now is to get her off of grains.

Oh yeah, and I give her cod liver oil as well.
              Last edited by Blackcatbone; 05-15-2011, 06:41 AM. Reason: addition
              Buy house, Demolish house, Build house.

Comment

I came home to a sick pup last Thursday. She must have gotten into something she shouldn't be having and made a real mess of the house, yuck! ....took her to the vet, and they put her on a "bland diet" of chicken and rice which she doesn't seem to find bland. Normally we feed her Wellness Core since there's no grain or fillers. I often wonder if I should put her on a real food diet though...

Comment

I feed my dog Taste of the Wild canned food (canned is much better for animals than dry, or so I've read) which is grain free. She gets this in the morning. In the evening while I cook my dinner I whip her up dinner too. Usually ground beef or turkey with beef liver, chicken gizzards or hearts. I cook it lightly in bacon fat. The canned food is fairly expensive but the meat is not so it's not too hard on the wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                    eta: be careful with the bacon...it's high in fat and can cause pancreatitis in dogs that are not used to a high fat content/natural foods. Start with more natural, slightly leaner cuts of meat.
                    Kennelmom, thanks for the info! I had no idea. What would you recommend cooking with instead when making a home-cooked meal for dogs?

Comment

Mine get ground meat and organs from my local butcher, it's all grass fed bison, beef, and venison. They get that raw, plus some rice and vegetables, and eggs if I have extra. Going to this diet from a commercial dog food diet, I've seen huge changes in the way they smell (much better), and they shed and poop much less.

Comment

I am guessing your dog will be staying with your parents when you travel and move out in the future, correct? If that is the case then if you make a food switch you need to make sure it is something they will carry forward.

For more commercial foods, I would recommend Orijen or Taste of the wild as others have mentioned. I would also recommend a fish oil supplement, maybe 250-500 mg a day for a smaller dog. Canned food is not a bad idea when you can, or even better maybe cook up some meat and/or organs to supplement to the food. Some dogs do okay mixing dry and raw food...some do not, hence why I mention cooking if you are going to mix the two.

To keep the teeth tip top with little work, I would recommend getting a raw knuckle bone and letting him gnaw on it about 15 minutes once a week (just store in the freezer). They can be pretty rich with lots of fat and marrow, hence why I mention limiting the time.

As others have stated, a bit too much fat in the diet is not good for dogs, their pancreas will not do well. If you cook up say ground beef to mix with his dry food, drain it well before serving sort of thing. A little won't hurt, but too much and you will end up with stomach upset.
                        Erin
                        Daily Vlogs
                        Primal Pets Blog

Comment

Wellness Core. It is grain free, frequently available, and keeps my lab looking like I would like to look... she's ripped. Smart, obedient, and healthy, too, lol

Comment

We feed our dogs a raw, prey model diet. He is fairly active and weighs about 50lbs. We give him 1 chicken back, 1chicken quarter and an assortment of bison/lamb/beef organs. It totals just over a pound of food a day and doesn't cost much more than the high quality kibble.

Comment

My dog also gets Blue Wilderness, salmon flavor. (Found here). She has free access to that, and every morning I feed her homemade dogfood, usually a mix of chicken livers and peas and carrots, and I add her arthritis supplements to it.

She doesn't usually eat too much of the dry dog food. I just try to keep her used to that for when I have to travel in case I can't bring the chicken livers with us.

Comment

Working...
                              X