One banana a day?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One banana a day?

Can I eat one banana a day in a smoothie with greens and berries and still be ok? I see a lot of hate for bananas around here.

I'm not trying to come off as stupid(which i know I am) but I am just curious how much fruit is too much?

I usually eat a banana, some berries, and sometimes another piece of fruit that varies in a green smoothie just about every day. I haven't gone fully primal, but i needed a way to get greens since i hate them.

Think it is the Jaminet's that say it is ok to eat one first thing in the morning since the fructose will go into replacing liver glycogen that was depleted over night, and therefore not cause other metabolic issues....

However they are the only ones saying
    Last edited by wildwabbit; 05-12-2011, 09:28 PM.

Comment

If it's not affecting weight loss should be okay. I wouldn't do more than 2 serves fruit per day.

Comment

I believe that it is recommended to keep fructose under 25 g. per day. You can find the amount of fructose in foods online, e.g. here. If you are not fully primal, keep in mind that high fructose corn syrup is in just about everything.

Are you trying to lose weight? If so, I would cut back as far as possible on fructose.
        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

I have at least one banana a day if not two. I personally only eat organic fruits and I normally pick the smallest bananas as well. If you feel good with one banana in your smoothie I wouldn't really sweat it. It is still a whole food and is leaps and bounds better than anything processed.
          "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Comment

Originally posted by hdizzle99 View Post
            One banana a day?
            No, 30 bananas a day
            Meri bilong mi i belhot!

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo View Post
              No, 30 bananas a day
              LMAO!

I don`t eat bananas every day because I`m trying to lose weight. I do love them though and won`t limit once I reach my goal.
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
                LMAO!

I don`t eat bananas every day because I`m trying to lose weight. I do love them though and won`t limit once I reach my goal.
                I'll eat bananas again occasionally once they are back down to a reasonable price here in Australia. ATM around $12 per kilo.

Comment

Here they're 1 euro the kilo. Paul Jaminet recommended me 3 bananas a day + 3 potatoes + 3 tomatoes every day to solve my potassium problems... and you guys are stressing with one banana a day.

Reminds me of the people who eat one tiny square of dark chocolate. I don't like to eat less than half a bar.

Comment

Originally posted by JPA View Post
                    Reminds me of the people who eat one tiny square of dark chocolate. I don't like to eat less than half a bar.
                    how the hell do you leave 1/2 bar? I have to throw it out or give it to my wife.. No willpower at all

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyt View Post
                      how the hell do you leave 1/2 bar? I have to throw it out or give it to my wife.. No willpower at all
                      Yeah, I didn't want to say "I eat the whole goddam bar like a man" because that statement to someone who eats just a square would be too powerful. I've eaten more than a bar before (different brands and all).

I'm not picking on "those people" =) - they seem to have a lot of will power to only eat a square.

Comment

Originally posted by JPA View Post
                        Yeah, I didn't want to say "I eat the whole goddam bar like a man" because that statement to someone who eats just a square would be too powerful. I've eaten more than a bar before (different brands and all).

I'm not picking on "those people" =) - they seem to have a lot of will power to only eat a square.
                        people eat whole bars?

hell i am working on eating a whole square.

I need to graduate to advance class
                        Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
                        Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
                        Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Comment

Bananas are great, but in my case, it is not to be. I eat about a 1.5" section every day as a treat for being awesome or accomplishing something amazing that day.

Comment

I eat a banana all the time, without guilt or fear. About 2 fruits or equivalent per day is my max, but I often have berries in yogurt plus a banana at lunchtime. The thing about fructose is, in small and natural quantities, consumed with real food, it's no big deal. It's an overdose of fructose that stresses the liver and results in NAFLD and all the other problems. A spoonful of raw honey in your yogurt, a banana - these are only things to eliminate if you are doing the low carb / weight loss route or have cravings issues to solve. Otherwise they easily fit into the approximate 100g carbs / day and low sugar PB plan.
                            If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Originally posted by quelsen View Post
                              people eat whole bars?

hell i am working on eating a whole square.

I need to graduate to advance class
                              I feel you guys, when it comes to good chocolate like the 98+ I have no restraint. We usually by a couple bars every week, but within a couple days they would be gone. First, it starts off with 2 squares, then maybe an hr later I think why not 2 more squares, and so forth until usually i just end up eating the whole thing by the end of the night.

On the banana, i used to eat one a day, but lost my taste for them. As others mentioned there shouldn't be any issues especially if your active. We usually use them now as a sweetener in smoothies or baked goods.
                              Last edited by jostle; 05-13-2011, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X