Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHA STILL Slamming Satfats

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000009

Notice the cherry picked data, first. Only 8 studies? Really?

And notice they didn't mention how, in all likelihood the HDL's went up more, making the HDL/LDL ratios improve.

Even Ancel Keyes had no problem with saturated fats in particular.

No information on their funding that I could find. You wouldn't suppose that Cargill and ADM have fingers in that heart healthy whole grains and "vegetable" oils, do you?

First thing that popped up on Pubmed: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21669587 Yeah, all those SE Asians and Polynesians dropping dead all over the place.

I've heard Dr Bikman say something like - coconut oil, peanut oil and palm oils are OK inspite of the high saturated fat content, but vegetable oils are super artificial because they have been heated and processed to oblivion.
    Thanks.
    Srinath.

Comment

Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post
      I've heard Dr Bikman say something like - coconut oil, peanut oil and palm oils are OK inspite of the high saturated fat content, but vegetable oils are super artificial because they have been heated and processed to oblivion.
      Thanks.
      Srinath.
      All three have very different lipid profiles. Coconut oil is the only one with a lot of satfat. Peanut oil is kinda close to lard, higher in monounsaturated lipids. I've not looked into palm oils.

"Vegetable" oils are grain oils. Cottonseed, corn, soy, rape rebranded as canola, sunflower, etc. I'm not aware of being heated during processing. Nor, "processed into oblivion," a not very scientific perspective. The basic process is crush the grains, run a solvent like hexane - a major component of gasoline - through to dissolve the oils, then recover the hexane by vacuum and condensation. Then filter the oil, the same method as Refined CO. Benign. It's the same process that non-virgin (defiled?) olive oil is made, solvent extraction.

If I need to deep fry - haven't in years - I go with peanut oil. It was the oil of choice in Southern (USA) deep frying for generations, but along come all those miracle, yessiree, getcha Omega 3's from this rapeseed, I mean Canola oil.

Comment

Oh, and lard and human fat are quite similar. Gives new meaning to "Long pig." High in monounsaturated lipids.

Comment

If I recall Dr Bikman said that more for the aspect of it not being paleo.
          However I don't understand the dislike for Whey by the paleo people, cos they like cheese. Well, how can cheese be fine and whey not be paleo.

Thanks.
          Srinath.

Comment

Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post
            If I recall Dr Bikman said that more for the aspect of it not being paleo.
            However I don't understand the dislike for Whey by the paleo people, cos they like cheese. Well, how can cheese be fine and whey not be paleo.

Thanks.
            Srinath.
            That's getting quite pedantic. I'll bet plenty of true paleolithic human ate coconut on the coasts of Africa. Surely, of all the things to quibble about, this has to be a gnat.

I don't recall any anti-whey sentiments on MDA. I do recall one of Mark's blog posts some time back on the benefits of whey. It went "whey" beyond the obvious protein benefit. Can't recall what they were.

Comment

OTB - I actually said -
              Dr Bikman said coconut, palm and peanut oils are paleo. Vegetable oil isn't.
              Precisely because we ate coconut palm and peanuts a plenty but didn't find those other extraction processes to get vegetable oil till the 50's.

Not the other way around.
              Thanks.
              Srinath.

Comment

Srinath, although there exists the strange concoction known as whey cheese (deep brown in colour unless bleaching agents involved), most cheese is made from milk solids that are separated from the whey. And I suspect the anti-whey paleo purists are objecting more to additives, preservatives, etc found in whey protein powders than to the actual basic liquid itself.

Comment

Working...
                X