How does your body know you have eaten X number of calories etc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does your body know you have eaten X number of calories etc

I did some googling and I cant find the answer.

Lets say you eat a 500 calorie Burger. Has fat, protein and carbs and other micro nutrients and some chemicals.

How does your body know you've eaten that ? And the ratio's etc etc.

Thanks.
    Srinath.

And there's an argument against CICO because everyone's body will take that 500 and use it differently.

Comment

Oh, my goddess. Is this a serious question, and serious healthy11 response?

You body goes about it's business because it has the latest Liver App. And if I have a different Liver App than you, our bodies react differently to macro ratios, polyphenols, and goji berries.

Snark.

Comment

I've heard that all newborns since 1960 have an implant done at birth to provide a body computer to analyze the food coming down the esophagus to provide that caloric consumption info. That's the reason more people have heartburn these days.
        Sheesh!
        The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

OK I am lifting this from a British newspaper though I have seen it on Dr Fung's site too.

So here is the first part about eating too much.

When you’ve just polished off a plate piled high with food, it can sometimes feel like you’re going to explode. Although it is possible for your stomach to rupture after overeating, your gag reflex is likely to kick in long before you reach that point.

The average human stomach can handle between one and one-and-a-half litres of food before getting the urge to throw it back up, but can stretch to accommodate four times that much before a rupture occurs.

Then what happens:

When you eat a meal that’s high in fat, sugar and carbohydrates, your parasympathetic nervous system tells your body to slow down and focus on digesting the food, causing you to feel lethargic.

As the food is digested, cells in your pancreas produce the hormone insulin, which in turn leads to an increase in melatonin and serotonin, hormones that makes you feel drowsy as well as happy. You may also struggle to keep your eyes open thanks to a spike in glucose levels from the food you’ve eaten. This can interfere with the neurons in your brain that normally produce the orexin proteins responsible for keeping you awake and alert.
          Your fat cells produce the hormone leptin, which binds with receptors in the brain to tell you that you’re no longer hungry.

Regularly eating more than your body needs causes your body to produce more of this hormone, as leptin levels are directly related to the amount of body fat a person has.

In such cases, people may build up a resistance to leptin, which disrupts the brain’s ability to recognise when you’re full, leading you to overeat and put on weight.

So basically you need insulin to be down, as far down as it can be for any true weight loss to occour and to become permanent, well FFA's have to be lowered too because those cause Insulin resistance which feeds back into raising insulin, and after losing weight you need to stay that weight till leptin sensitivity catches up to the level your new body needs.

That is the mechanism your body uses to regulate your weight. You lose 90lb like I did, I have lost 90 % of my leptin, but my leptin sensitivity hasn't come to where its 9 X higher. Hence I am hungry more and I eat more.

My Insulin resistance hasn't been reduced. So I want to eat carbs and my insulin spikes are higher due to the IR. So it causes to the weight gain even if I ate low carb.

If that sounds like "it worked for a while, and then failed" - that's because that's how it is designed to be. To get a skinny body permanently you need to get to where you have drained the FFA's set your leptin sensitivity high all the while keeping insulin low.

Thanks.
          Srinath.

Comment

Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post
            So basically you need insulin to be down, as far down as it can be for any true weight loss to occour and to become permanent, well FFA's have to be lowered too because those cause Insulin resistance which feeds back into raising insulin, and after losing weight you need to stay that weight till leptin sensitivity catches up to the level your new body needs.

That is the mechanism your body uses to regulate your weight. You lose 90lb like I did, I have lost 90 % of my leptin, but my leptin sensitivity hasn't come to where its 9 X higher. Hence I am hungry more and I eat more.

My Insulin resistance hasn't been reduced. So I want to eat carbs and my insulin spikes are higher due to the IR. So it causes to the weight gain even if I ate low carb.

If that sounds like "it worked for a while, and then failed" - that's because that's how it is designed to be. To get a skinny body permanently you need to get to where you have drained the FFA's set your leptin sensitivity high all the while keeping insulin low.

Thanks.
            Srinath.
            Man, how many times you gonna say what is not true? Yes, losing weight is easier with less insulin and better insulin sensitivity, but it's not mandatory.

Metformin is cheap and besides reducing blood sugar levels (by stopping the liver from dribbling glucose into you blood when not needed), it increases insulin sensitivity. I have been on Metformin Extended Release for a year and a half and it's done wonders for me. American numbers here. Prior to, I was seeing 95-115 in the AM. Before long I hardly ever saw 100's, then 90's. I'm mostly around 80 now, and I've dipped as low as 69.

I have done glucose response tests over the years. Way back, 50g of glucose via starch would put my one hour test 200? It's been a long time. And it would take close to four hours to return to normal. Now it hits 145 and is normal in 2.5 hours. Average real world meals it seldom goes about 135. My insulin sensitivity is back.

This is why the life extension crowd loves Metformin.

Comment

When you’ve just polished off a plate piled high with food, it can sometimes feel like you’re going to explode. Although it is possible for your stomach to rupture after overeating, your gag reflex is likely to kick in long before you reach that point.
              If you are foolishly eating so much at one sitting, you deserve to have your gag reflex kick in, and hopefully you'll spew all over yourself.
              Truly, I don't know where you are trying to go with this thread.
              Somewhere in here you need to apply some common sense, you need to use that 3-4 lb lump sitting in your skull to decide what foods to eat. If you are selecting your food with any degree of competence, your bod should let you know when you have consumed "enough".
              The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Comment

RigD: No that was just the cut and paste out of that article. I don't like to post 1/2 articles, so that got put in along with my comment about it. I've over-eaten a plenty, and not run the risk of throwing up for the last year. So I'm good there.

OTB: Metformin - OK I get it. I don't have first hand experience with it, but as per Dr Fung metformin keeps the glucose in the liver. Or something like that. I glaze over when something that doesn't apply to me is in a podcast or presentation. So I am not sure, so I'm asking. Wouldn't the lower blood sugar cause lower insulin ?

Thanks.
                Srinath.

Comment

Re the question: It doesn't. Your body simply processes the food intake via its normal use of required bile, hormones and acids. When any of those are deficient, there are backup systems to activate. Activation may be speedy or slow, depending on when last called upon. Meanwhile, the food is moved out within a couple days or less. The body doesn't recognize calories like we do, and it takes consistent over feeding or underfeeding to lead to marked changes. The body recognizes energy, not necessarily energy sources. Ask your mitochondria.
                  As for Metformin, hubby's experiences with it were negative, and I have an aversion to medicines that purport to be safe (until proven otherwise.)

Comment

Originally posted by srinath_69 View Post
                    RigD: No that was just the cut and paste out of that article. I don't like to post 1/2 articles, so that got put in along with my comment about it. I've over-eaten a plenty, and not run the risk of throwing up for the last year. So I'm good there.

OTB: Metformin - OK I get it. I don't have first hand experience with it, but as per Dr Fung metformin keeps the glucose in the liver. Or something like that. I glaze over when something that doesn't apply to me is in a podcast or presentation. So I am not sure, so I'm asking. Wouldn't the lower blood sugar cause lower insulin ?

Thanks.
                    Srinath.
                    Bingo.

It's been around since the 1950's. It's a synthesized compound discovered in some plant. So, in a sense its natural. So's arsenic.

It takes awhile for it to reap the results. Just a long, slow process.

There is one drawback. About 10% of users get diarrhea, or close. Of course, I was one of those. I found I had to take 2mg of Loperimide to balance things out. Then a few months ago I realized I was getting almost constipated, so I cut the pills to 1mg. At the end of that month, I realized that once again, getting almost constipated. Now I don't take any Loperimide and all is well! Took my body 18 months to settle down.

Comment

Originally posted by OnTheBayou View Post

Bingo.

It's been around since the 1950's. It's a synthesized compound discovered in some plant. So, in a sense its natural. So's arsenic.

It takes awhile for it to reap the results. Just a long, slow process.

There is one drawback. About 10% of users get diarrhea, or close. Of course, I was one of those. I found I had to take 2mg of Loperimide to balance things out. Then a few months ago I realized I was getting almost constipated, so I cut the pills to 1mg. At the end of that month, I realized that once again, getting almost constipated. Now I don't take any Loperimide and all is well! Took my body 18 months to settle down.
                      Dr Fung does say Metformin is a good drug, but doesn't address the root cause (or something to that effect) because well, I'm limited by my own perspective. So if I wasn't doing it, I wasn't listening about it. I actually currently prefer eating only once in 3-20 days. The act of cleaning and prepping and what not is just too much. Besides its more fun to play around with my amps and speakers all day after work. Only in the event my wife is here she'd make food. I'd still be doing what I am doing now. She's in India, so I'm playing with stuff and then coming in and going to bed or watching tv etc and going to bed. Couldn't be happier (wait till another 20-30 lb drop off and I will be happy to eat this table right here) - but not there yet. So yeaaaaayyyy. Deep in ketosis and loving it.

Originally posted by Paysan View Post
                      Re the question: It doesn't. Your body simply processes the food intake via its normal use of required bile, hormones and acids. When any of those are deficient, there are backup systems to activate.
                      <snip>
                      Oh yes hormones, as such named in my "cut and paste".

Thanks.
                      Srinath.

Comment

@srinath: Fasting as you describe is sure fire lean body mass loss. Count on it.

Comment

Wrongggggggggggggg OTB.

Fasting I can guarantee you, is 0% LBM loss. Or nearly 0. Much of the LBM loss is the first few days of your first fast when you're not truly in ketosis for good. Then progressively it gets less and less for each fast.

How do I know that ??
                          Other than Dr Fung and Dr Berg and Dr Bikman and Dr Enfeldt's observations and research, and a 100 other Dr names I cant even pronounce, I have n=1.

To repeat my story. June 1 2016 238 lb. Jan 13 2017 142 lb. Lets call it 95 lb lost.

I lose 95 lb of muscle from a 238 lb body, guess what, that's just about 10lb more than the 30-40% LBM a person has as per Livestrong. http://www.livestrong.com/article/46...tually-muscle/

Remember than heavier people have lower %. I would have been closer to 30% than the 40% I am taking on this example.

Anyway with 95lb lost, I was still moving around quite energetically. More interestingly there is a set of speakers I have that I am just barely able to lift and move up the stairs or move up and down from room to room. I was still able to lift it with a bit extra difficulty because I use my body weight as a counterweight to it.

And Dr Fung has 2200 diabetic patients he's fasted out of diabetes and into health and none of them has turned into Montgomery Burns.

I can still hammer curl 35lb and straight curl 20lb for 20+ reps. Which isn't too far off my brother who never fasted and works out regularly. I also have the top 2 of a 6 pack showing now that hasn't seen the light of day since I was 18. And this without working them out.

Thanks.
                          Srinath.

Comment

I can't follow all of your ramblings, friend.

So answer this: where do you get your protein from? W/o oral protein, you body starts to cannibalize it's own, muscle going first and heart last.

Comment

Your body basically needs less than .8 gm protein per Kg of body weight. That would for me be under 50gm.
                              Maybe it eats that in muscle. Possibly it does eat that as muscle but it also would be eating the oldest weakest most decrepit parts first,

Or maybe it doesn't but it pales in comparison to the 300 of fat I'd be burning.

Anyway Dr Fung has this to say in this link.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...sting-part-14/

So the main question is this – if you fast for long enough, doesn’t your body start to burn muscle in excess of what it was doing previously in order to produce glucose for the body. Hell, no.

However he has graphs that show muscle burn, but somehow its the same or lower rate than it did before the fast ??? Weird. I cant understand that graph.

BTW I discovered Dr Fung about 10 days into my 20 day fast, after which I have never even done a 10 dayer. So I marched on cluelessly but I had no symptoms that I was burning anything other than fat. However I have no trouble moving the same stuff I used to find @ my limit even when I was 238lb.

Anyway look at that graph, the blue line is protein, 0 is the day you start the fast. Its higher before you start fasting, but well I guess then you're eating and replenishing muscle I guess. The blue line is lower and lower as you fast, but you aren't eating. No idea.

Anyway most of my fasts have several traces of protein in it, I eat mayo, 1/2 and 1/2 in my coffee, I likely get 10-20 gm that way. But I am also confused by Dr Fung's post and I am glad I am not seeing much muscle deterioration in my own case. Maybe it eats the worst, weakest, oldest most decrepit - which I think is almost obvious. Which is why body builders do IF.

Thanks.
                              Srinath.

Comment

Working...
                              X