Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my body fat % too low?

hey,

so i did a body fat percentage test and the results came out at around 7%. i have always known i am very lean but i didnt know it would be quite that low! i work out a lot though and so i carry quite a bit of muscle too. so basically, i feel great and look the way i want to too.

i follow a moderately strict PB diet and cut back on the carbs to an extent that i go into the ketosis phase quite regularly.

my question is, should i be worried about going into a ketosis stage, and "burning" away more fat, when i have very little of it left! is there a lower level which is deemed as "unhealthy"?

by the way, i'm a 25 year old male, 6ft 2 inches (190cm) and weigh 80kg (176 pounds).

Comment

I don't think you should worry about it unless you start losing muscle.

According to Wikipedia the 2-5% range is considered essential fat and my interpretation of that is that men are not recommended to go below 5% to maintain health. Also, I think you would start losing muscle before you lose the last 5%.
      Norak's Primal Journal:
      2010-07-23: ~255lbs, ~40.0"
      2011-11-03: ~230lbs, ~35.5"
      2011-12-07: ~220lbs, ~34.0"

Comment

7% ???

I hate you !!!!

More seriously, no, you're okay. Art de Vany recommend a body fat % that goes 11% for a male and 18% for a female, but athletes and our ancestors are/were around 5-13% for males and 12-22% for females. Art himself roam around 6.7 and 8%..

Comment

Ketosis may make it easier to lose fat, but it doesn't automatically cause fat loss... That all depends on your calories and activity level, as I understand it.
          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Considering the blatant post title, the low body fat percentage, the fact that you are a tall slender man in your prime, I bet you are just bragging ... like in a "You can never be too rich, or too thin..."

By the way, I'm 6'5", 180 lbs @ 5% BF (34 mm sum of skinfolds) ... I'm not bragging, just mentioning it.

So keep pushing.
            Me@twitter

Comment

Originally posted by tommyho1 View Post
              hey,

so i did a body fat percentage test and the results came out at around 7%. i have always known i am very lean but i didnt know it would be quite that low! i work out a lot though and so i carry quite a bit of muscle too. so basically, i feel great and look the way i want to too.

i follow a moderately strict PB diet and cut back on the carbs to an extent that i go into the ketosis phase quite regularly.

my question is, should i be worried about going into a ketosis stage, and "burning" away more fat, when i have very little of it left! is there a lower level which is deemed as "unhealthy"?
              While Ketosis does mean you're burning fat, you're body doesn't care if it comes from the food you eat or adipose tissue. I currently eat 45-50% fat, but once I get to my ideal weight I'll up that to 60% to make up for the lessened fat from my body.

Comment

Working...
              X