Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you determine your ideal calorie intake?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do you determine your ideal calorie intake?

    BMR calculators? How do i know if i am 'sedentery' 'active' or 'lightly active'? are those terms being used for overweight america or do they really mean active when they say active?

    I keep trying not to think about calories but after eating 1400-1600 a day, i am at the same measurements/ weight i was a month and a half ago- and i am always moving around! for that reason i have *sort of* lost faith in the online calorie thing... anyone have other suggestions?

    how do you determine how many calories you need to lose/maintain?
    ☆*☆my journal☆*☆

  • #2
    Eat until you're full.

    Edit: On a serious note, if this is for weight loss then just reduce your calorie intake. Ignore those guidelines -- figure out what works for you.
    Last edited by Docter; 05-11-2011, 09:34 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Docter View Post
      Eat until you're full.
      For me, "full" means "not hungry". If I eat until I get a feeling of fullness in my stomach, I gain weight. I also have to let myself be hungry a little more throughout the day. However, on primal this doesn't make me feel like I want to kill someone and eat them. I just feel a little hungry and its ok. It also takes four or five hours even after breakfast (my smallest meal of the day) to get this way where I was hungry every two or three hours before.

      Eira: Can you post a typical day's eating with portion sizes? It might help us figure out if you could be using your calories to give you more boost.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
        For me, "full" means "not hungry". If I eat until I get a feeling of fullness in my stomach, I gain weight. I also have to let myself be hungry a little more throughout the day. However, on primal this doesn't make me feel like I want to kill someone and eat them. I just feel a little hungry and its ok. It also takes four or five hours even after breakfast (my smallest meal of the day) to get this way where I was hungry every two or three hours before.

        Eira: Can you post a typical day's eating with portion sizes? It might help us figure out if you could be using your calories to give you more boost.
        yeah, am wondering if i even need to eat this much, i am pretty much always somewhere between full/not hungry. i'm afraid to eat too little because i walk all over the place/ spend a lot of time on lithography presses and carrying large objects around my studio.


        a typical day looks something like that, although i dont usually have a sweet potato and i've cut the cream out of my coffee. i'm 5'3 and 126 pounds ( heavy for my frame ) i didn't expect anything miraculous, but i was hoping there would be some change in measurements or body composition? must have a really slow metabolism! hah
        ☆*☆my journal☆*☆

        Comment


        • #5
          you dont determine it, it changes....every second
          Get on my Level
          http://malpaz.wordpress.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by eira View Post
            BMR calculators? How do i know if i am 'sedentery' 'active' or 'lightly active'? are those terms being used for overweight america or do they really mean active when they say active?
            Sedentary means has a desk job and probably drives to work too. Basically, sitting down most of the day day every day.

            Lightly active is going to mean has a more physical occupation or takes time out to walk, cycle, swim, whatever fairly regularly.

            Active will likely mean something much more vigorous, again either occupational and/or recreational.

            I keep trying not to think about calories but after eating 1400-1600 a day, i am at the same measurements/ weight i was a month and a half ago- and i am always moving around! for that reason i have *sort of* lost faith in the online calorie thing... anyone have other suggestions?
            There's Kwasniewski's method, which is recommended by Dr Kurt Harris, who Mark sometimes links to:

            Archevore - Archevore Blog - How to Lose*Weight

            It's a fairly extreme regimen, but it's certainly one that's based on quantifiable figures, if that's what you want. You start off by calculting a figure for protein and basically eat a large percentage of the rest of your calories as fat:

            In order to work out the correct daily food intake using this proportion, one has to know how many grams of protein needs to be ingested in a day to satisfy body's requirements. This amount varies from person to person and depends on a "due body weight". Due body weight, in kilograms, is equal to person's height in centimetres less 100 ( 10%). Thus, for a person 160 cm tall, a due body weight is 60 kg 6 kg.

            A correct amount of protein to be consumed in a day is approx. 1 g per 1 kilogram of a due body weight. Thus, a 60 kg person needs to consume 60 6 g of protein to satisfy body's daily needs.
            optimal_diet_1

            I guess Mark himself would probably advise people to include more vegetables and fruit. How important is it to get a few pounds off anyway, as against eating a more nutrient-dense diet and allowing the weight to go with time?

            Comment


            • #7
              I've found I need fewer calories than I thought, eating Primal. According to most online calculators, I am in deficit at 1700 calories, but my experience is that 1700 is maintenance for me. I needed to drop down to 1400-1500 to see a shift.

              If you've been eating well for at least the last 6 months-1 year and feel like your metabolism is functioning fine, then you may need to drop your calories slightly.

              Personally, IFing has made this much easier for me.
              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                There's Kwasniewski's method, which is recommended by Dr Kurt Harris, who Mark sometimes links to:

                Archevore - Archevore Blog - How to Lose*Weight

                It's a fairly extreme regimen, but it's certainly one that's based on quantifiable figures, if that's what you want. You start off by calculting a figure for protein and basically eat a large percentage of the rest of your calories as fat:



                optimal_diet_1

                I guess Mark himself would probably advise people to include more vegetables and fruit. How important is it to get a few pounds off anyway, as against eating a more nutrient-dense diet and allowing the weight to go with time?
                Thank you, these are great links. Hopefully primal can teach me to be more patient...... but i dont know if i will ever be able to kick the instant gratification/ calorie counting mindset! i've been brainwashed!!! ahhh
                ☆*☆my journal☆*☆

                Comment


                • #9
                  1400 calories is what I eat at lunch alone.

                  Just eat until you're satisfied.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Your diet looks pretty good, but maybe a little more protein would be good. I say if you're not actively hungry then don't eat. If you're worried about finding yourself suddenly out of energy then keep some nuts or something in your handbag for emergencies. I used to get low blood sugar episodes when I was CW where I felt dizzy and sick if I didn't eat. I don't have that problem these days.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You need to forget about activity levels etc if serious about dropping some body fat (no need to include in any calculations). It's okay if you want to see results after 1 week. The most extreme is to multiply your goal weight by 10 to get your calorie amount. So 120 goal weight x 10 is 1200 calories. If eating very low calories should only do it for a few weeks then up the calories for a week and repeat until at goal. Or you could just follow your hunger and hope you eat the right amount to lose some body fat.
                      Last edited by Sue; 05-11-2011, 04:49 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DaisyEater View Post
                        Your diet looks pretty good, but maybe a little more protein would be good
                        +1
                        Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

                        Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by eira View Post
                          a typical day looks something like that, although i dont usually have a sweet potato and i've cut the cream out of my coffee. i'm 5'3 and 126 pounds ( heavy for my frame ) i didn't expect anything miraculous, but i was hoping there would be some change in measurements or body composition? must have a really slow metabolism! hah
                          My guess is that you may be correct in that you don't need to eat that much. I'm also 5'3", but when I'm at 126 lbs. I'm ripped. I chalk it up to CrossFit. This makes me think that your body composition may include much less muscle than mine, and henceforth your correct guess about calories. Do you know what your body fat percentage is? Do you do any workouts other than work? You could always keep your calories about the same and incorporate some more exercise.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            what is your exercise routine like? are you sprinting? doing strength training?

                            also i took a look at your journal and i wouldn't say you are 'heavy' for your frame at 5'3", i think you look great.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by *Rachel* View Post
                              My guess is that you may be correct in that you don't need to eat that much. I'm also 5'3", but when I'm at 126 lbs. I'm ripped. I chalk it up to CrossFit. This makes me think that your body composition may include much less muscle than mine, and henceforth your correct guess about calories. Do you know what your body fat percentage is? Do you do any workouts other than work? You could always keep your calories about the same and incorporate some more exercise.
                              yeah, i imagine thats the issue. think i'm around 22% body fat, maybe a bit more. Other than the heavy lifting at work and the constant walking (i live in a hilly area), I try and get in one or two bike sprints in every week as well as a few short interval workouts- but that's usually the most I can do at this time of year with finals in school and all. I'm thinking about taking some crossfit classes this summer but i'm a little nervous about getting my ass kicked that hard...
                              ☆*☆my journal☆*☆

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X