Comfort eating primal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comfort eating primal

Today was a bad day. I was very tired (last nights big aftershock was RIGHT UNDER OUR HOUSE...it was SO LOUD, the one the night before was bigger but further away, but I am finding it hard to get back to sleep again after them) so I was comfort eating again.

But I stayed primal. I just had a lot of raspberries, blueberries and cream. Then i had some more. Then I had primal sausages, then I had some more berries....and that was before i even started in on supper!

So how much harm am I doing myself? I don't expect I will loose any weight this week, but is there harm in it?
    My journal

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29984.html

Are you kidding? There's an aftershock right under your house and you're stressing about staying primal?

Cut yourself some slack You did a great job in staying primal, and stressing about over-indulging (which I don't think you did, personally) is unlikely to help the situation. Just run with it, acknowledge it, and go back to regular eating habits as soon as you can. Don't forget the 80-20 rule!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27363.html

Comment

Yikes. I agree with Kaeferin. In an earthquake you can invoke the 80/20 rule! And, even eating berries and cream and sausages (yummy!) you probably didn't even come close to 1000 calories. Try doing that with a bag of potato chips.
      Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
      Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
      CW: 146.8 lbs
      GW 140 lbs
      A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

Yeah seriously dont worry! Count yourself lucky the aftershock didn't do anything too bad. Think about this - if you lost your house or were going to die, would you care about eating too much primal food? No! Enjoy life

Comment

Remember that weight loss, like life, is a journey. You hit a couple of bumps (or jolts, rather, and as a Californian I can sympathize), you ate primal. You did well, actually. Better than I probably would have. And the irony, is that you might find that you do drop weight. Sometimes upping the calories a day or two a week helps.
          Christine
          Wag more, bark less

Comment

I comfort drink beers.

Comment

Thank you for your support. I find it hard to keep a sense of perspective nowadays. I expect I am stressing about food because it is something I CAN control, unlike the quakes which are totally a pain in the neck.

Kit
              My journal

Comment

You're doing better than me! I found out I have to have surgery, and the first thing I do is go eat a brownie covered in ice cream! >.<

As long as you're eating healthy, natural foods, their macro-nutrients can be forgiven. Overeating berries and cream is better than a "normal" serving of cake or cookies.

((hugs)) one day at a time. So sayeth the grain addict. I'm striving to deal with my stresses just a little better today than yesterday.

Crap! I'm An Adult!

My Primal Journal

http://badquaker.com <--- podcast I'm a part of. Check it out if you like anarchy, geekiness and random ramblings.

Comment

I'm sorry you have to get surgery. I hope all goes well for you.

Kit
                  My journal

Comment

I find soup really comforting. A nice creamy thai curry soup with a bit of spice.... or turkey soup, or beef bone soup...

Comment

Interesting responses...

Here is another perspective:

Maybe we might be a little bit more healthy if we found ways of comforting ourselves with something other than food.

Sure... we could be proud of ourselves that we turned to berries instead of cake in a time of stress. But at the same time, it might be productive to reflect on the situation and consider if we might have tried to do something more productive and rewarding then eating.

Comment

Originally posted by Waskydiver View Post
                        Interesting responses...

Here is another perspective:

Maybe we might be a little bit more healthy if we found ways of comforting ourselves with something other than food.

Sure... we could be proud of ourselves that we turned to berries instead of cake in a time of stress. But at the same time, it might be productive to reflect on the situation and consider if we might have tried to do something more productive and rewarding then eating.
                        Lol, nah, doesn't work for me!! If I'm JUST stressed, or tired, or scared I can soothe myself in all sorts of healthy non-food ways. If I'm all three, then there is nothing more productive and rewarding than eating!!

Kit, you did great. As the others have said, a day at a time.
                        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

Originally posted by Waskydiver View Post
                          Interesting responses...
                          This is what I try to do these days. I first came across this concept in the "Overcoming Overeating" book I mention often (I must sound like a broken record, lol). It's become an automatic thing for me most of the time now. I acknowledge that yes, I have chocolate / cake / whatever if I really want it, and just sit with whatever feelings are bugging me for a few minutes. Check in with myself again and see what I want to do. I may try something else (e.g. calling a friend, distracting myself with another activity, actually working on whatever it is that's bothering me), I may sit for a few more minutes, or I may eat whatever it is I find comforting at that moment - and in whatever volume I require. I'm not going to beat myself up about it if I ocassionally opt for the last option. And I'm going to do that eating mindfully, noting how good it tastes and feels.

But then, I've been doing that routine for years and it was freakin' tough at the outset. Ridiculously so, in fact. Even though doing what I've described sounds so easy, it is not. Having gone through the loop I don't know how many hundred times over the last decade or so, though, food is no longer my automatic go-to for comfort. Sometimes, yes, but not nearly as much as it used to be. One thing I would never ever do though, is critisize someone else who's turing for comfort to food and berate them for it. Likelihood is that at that moment, that's just what they need to do, and the moment will pass. [edited to say: not suggesting anyone here is critizing, just that it sometimes happens in real life].
                          Last edited by Kaeferin; 05-12-2011, 07:18 AM.
                          My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27363.html

Comment

Working...
                          X