Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RE: Why am I in Ketosis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • RE: Why am I in Ketosis?

    I had a doctors visit today and she mentioned that there were a lot of ketones in my urine. I assume this is because I'm in ketosis from PB? But I am a little surprised by this. I don't count calories or carbs, and while I have lost a fair amount of weight and am no longer overweight by CW standards, I am now really just losing a couple of pounds per month.

    I had breakfast at 9:00 which was garlic/orange pulled pork on lettuce wraps with an avocado, two squares of dark chocolate, and about 4 oz of orange juice. I had coffee with cream at noon. The test was at 4 pm.

    So can someone explain to me how I could be in ketosis? I'm clearly not understanding something about the process

    Thanks!!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

    http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

  • #2
    You will be in ketosis at under 50g carb per day. There have been days that I have not particularly limited my carb intake, and ended up in the ketosis range, as long as I didn't each much fruit. I have now added a bit more fruit and a starchy veg or rice and I am only at 70-80g carbs, just because I don't eat tons in general now. I would say it is easy to dip into the ketosis range without even trying to for some of us.

    As a sidenote, my stalled weightloss started up again since I added more carbs.
    Karin

    A joyful heart is good medicine

    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

    Mmmmm. Real food is good.

    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmmmm....interesting. So just eating below 50 g of Carb for this morning bumped me in to ketosis? I am trying to remember what I ate yesterday - but I double I was below 50 g of carb. I guess I didn't realize it was that easy to go in and out of ketosis?
      Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

      http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

      Comment


      • #4
        It is for me providing I have hardly any fruit and no sweet potatoes, potatoes or rice
        Karin

        A joyful heart is good medicine

        He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

        Mmmmm. Real food is good.

        My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

        Comment


        • #5
          I think it has too do with your glycogen stores. Normally, if they are full, your body will run on them for 8-12 hours. Eating LC and moving a lot will decrease your stores, making it very easy to be in ketosis on a regular basis.
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

          Comment


          • #6
            Can you share some of your ketosis? Even at 20g a day, I can't seem to get there. Consider yourself lucky & enjoy the ride!
            --Trish (Bork)
            TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
            http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
            FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
              I think it has too do with your glycogen stores. Normally, if they are full, your body will run on them for 8-12 hours. Eating LC and moving a lot will decrease your stores, making it very easy to be in ketosis on a regular basis.
              That explains some, I think. I did walk the dog this morning and added in some "sprints" (very, very loose use of that word ). I also fast overnight, so maybe my glycogen stores were low.

              I'm not sure I care one way or the other, it's just interesting to me. Thanks!
              Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

              http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
                Can you share some of your ketosis? Even at 20g a day, I can't seem to get there. Consider yourself lucky & enjoy the ride!
                Oh no! 20 g/day - I don't think I could ever have the discipline for that! Are you sure you're not in ketosis and just not excreting ketones in your urine?
                Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

                http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dr. BB~
                  Of course you are in ketosis if you are only eating 20g of carbs--but given all the cooking/baking you do, I do find it hard to believe you are actually only eating 20 g/day, lol!

                  As Jammies said (& I have told you before) ketostix only measure excess ketones. If you are using them all up, then the ketostix will not change color.
                  Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                  Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                  Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jammies View Post
                    Hmmmm....interesting. So just eating below 50 g of Carb for this morning bumped me in to ketosis? I am trying to remember what I ate yesterday - but I double I was below 50 g of carb. I guess I didn't realize it was that easy to go in and out of ketosis?
                    Once you get into it for a week or two, you could even have a high carb day (say 150g) and the next day be right back into Ketosis. You're body becomes much more effective (brain too) at using Ketone bodies the longer you stay under 120g of carbs (which is the min. needed by you're brain to function, but afterwards it will call for ketones). Its not a bad thing (just watch the urine acidic pH). Ketosis certainly doesn't mean you have to be losing weight btw, you can gain weight on ketosis (the metabolic process itself only requires an extra 100-150 calories at best to perform gluconeogenesis) if you eat more than your base level - exercise. <--- I, and the rest of us just find it harder to due to the lack of choice, elimination of bad foods, and the satiating nature of protein and fat.

                    I show trace levels of ketones (test within 4 hours after eating) up to about 60-80g of carbs per day.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                      Dr. BB~
                      Of course you are in ketosis if you are only eating 20g of carbs--but given all the cooking/baking you do, I do find it hard to believe you are actually only eating 20 g/day, lol!
                      Haha, +1! We love your for your fabulous recipes Dr. B, but I find that hard to believe as well!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I don't think everyone needs to be below 50g of carbs to be in ketosis. I eat a fair amount of fruit and still test + for ketones some of the time. And on a wholefoods diet pre-primal sometimes was in ketosis at least when pregnant just from cutting my portions of wholegrains etc (got a telling off from the midwife for that one, learned to do my sample after breakfast not before lol).
                        Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

                        Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

                        Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

                        "Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
                        Harold Whitman

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                          Dr. BB~
                          Of course you are in ketosis if you are only eating 20g of carbs--but given all the cooking/baking you do, I do find it hard to believe you are actually only eating 20 g/day, lol!

                          As Jammies said (& I have told you before) ketostix only measure excess ketones. If you are using them all up, then the ketostix will not change color.
                          I pretty much stopped baking with Whole 30 last month. The most non primal thing I've had is fruit & chocolate. I don't have any of the symptoms of ketosis, so I don't think I'm in it (not losing weight)
                          --Trish (Bork)
                          TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                          http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                          FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lexsi340 View Post
                            Haha, +1! We love your for your fabulous recipes Dr. B, but I find that hard to believe as well!
                            name something I've cooked recently (or provided recipe for), that would have kicked me out of ketosis.
                            --Trish (Bork)
                            TROPICAL TRADITIONS REFERRAL # 7625207
                            http://pregnantdiabetic.blogspot.com
                            FOOD PORN BLOG! http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jammies View Post
                              I had a doctors visit today and she mentioned that there were a lot of ketones in my urine. I assume this is because I'm in ketosis from PB? But I am a little surprised by this. I don't count calories or carbs, and while I have lost a fair amount of weight and am no longer overweight by CW standards, I am now really just losing a couple of pounds per month.

                              I had breakfast at 9:00 which was garlic/orange pulled pork on lettuce wraps with an avocado, two squares of dark chocolate, and about 4 oz of orange juice. I had coffee with cream at noon. The test was at 4 pm.

                              So can someone explain to me how I could be in ketosis? I'm clearly not understanding something about the process

                              Thanks!!!
                              How much is "much" according to your doctor?
                              Did you get a printout of your test so you can compare your results to a standard scale?
                              What sort of a test was it that didn't require a fast?
                              Was your doctor concerned?

                              The reason for you testing positive for ketone bodies in urine could be that by your dietary changes you already reduced overall carbs intake low enough to temporarily allow your body to switch to ketone bodies in favorable conditions such as extra physical activity or overnight fasting. What most people don't realize, even folks who consume high carbs, go into mild ketosis in the morning after an overnight fast. Hence the idea of "morning cardio" proposed by some "experts" for those who want to burn fat without reducing carbs (standard american diet).

                              You may also look at your daily water intake. If you aren't hydrated enough, the concentration of ketone bodies in your urine may show as high. I follow a life style that keeps me in constant ketosis, and from experience, I noticed that if I keep my water intake at about 1 oz per lb of body weight per day then I never test positive for ketones in urine (ketostix) but my breath is pure acetone. If only I drop the water intake and start feeling thirsty, the ketostix go dark.

                              Another possible explanation is that your high fat diet along with temporary overnight ketosis state has upped the amount of ketone bodies available to be used as fuel, and before they could be used up you consumed enough carbs to switch over to glucose leaving ketones unused and circulating in blood before being dumped with urine.

                              Being in ketosis isn't a bad thing at all, there are many benefits to it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X