X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should beer count as "grains" or not?

Your thoughts?

Hard cider.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Comment

I gave up beer because of the toxic effect I had from the gluten it contained.

I would count it as a grain unless you happen to have found a beer made without grain.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Good View Post
        Hard cider.
        Applejack.

Comment

No.
          Neither should the estrogenic effects of hops be a concern. It all gets taken care of in the fermentation process.

It's quite common to produce gluten free beer, plenty of home brewers do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
            No.
            Neither should the estrogenic effects of hops be a concern. It all gets taken care of in the fermentation process.

Could the same be said about soy sauce? It is 'brewed' as well.
            My name is Matt and I am a Beef Jerky Wizard.
            www.greenlightjerky.com

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLightJerky View Post
              Could the same be said about soy sauce? It is 'brewed' as well.
              As far as I know the enzymes produced during fermentation destroy the gluten. Many soy sauce producers claim this also.
              Unless you consume soy sauce by the pint it shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

You can get wheat free tamari a naturally brewed soy sauce whereas the cheap soy sauce has wheat as an ingredient.

Comment

Yes. Beer belly = wheat belly. Same thing, no difference, no good reason to have the stuff. Ditch it.
                  Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
                    Yes. Beer belly = wheat belly. Same thing, no difference, no good reason to have the stuff. Ditch it.
                    Horse shit.

Its the large pizza ect you order when you're drunk.

Enjoy your beer.

Comment

As a celiac and former beer snob I can attest to beer having the same detrimental effects as other gluten-grain products. I do however chug down some gluten-free beers now and then with no ill effects. It's mainly the gluten you'll have to worry about.
                      "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
                      -J.Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by bookstorecowboy View Post
                        Your thoughts?
                        "Should beer count as "grains" or not?"

I don't really care: it's a bit of a non-question to me.

"What effects does it have on the drinker?" seems a better question to me. I think it might possibly be "worse" than some other alcoholic drinks, but I doubt there's definite proof of that.

Certainly "beer belly" is a clearly observable phenomenon, and it's rather laughable that "experts" have been going on about fat for years when you can see grown men looking like pregnant women on the back of their beer drinking. These days you can also see kids with Coca Cola bellies. Professor Robert H. Lustig famously shows how both alcohol (the beer) and fructose (the Coca Cola)—both delivered quickly in liquid form, of course—can cause problems. Glucose can be metabolized by any cell in the body; alcohol and fructose only hepatically:

YouTube - Sugar: The Bitter Truth

On that basis, I guess other alcoholic drinks would be as bad.

Interestingly, one U.S. researcher in the 1950s—so this is before the "obesity epidemic"—wanted to find some obese subjects for study and it took him eighteen months to find 20 obese subjects for his study who were not alcoholics.

But there are some specific problems with beer ...

1. there is the question of gluten for coeliacs (and possibly the "gluten sensitive" if they do exist, which seems not to have been definitely proved yet). Oh, and of other anti-nutrients. Obviously, beer is made from malted grain—or at least it should be—and I guess the sprouting the grain would help with some of those. But not with gluten. This is why there are gluten-free beers.

2. I guess beer is also a problem in that it tends to be drunk in large quantities in rounds. There's a different context for wine–it tends to be drunk with food. If you meet your friends for "a beer" it can never be just a beer—at least that's true for us. Maybe Americans are more abstemious than us. (I never heard that the Aussies were!)

3. Finally, the Specific Carbohydrate Diet people say that the complex sugars that beer yeast, saccharomyces cerevisiae, can't break down can feed pathogenic bacteria in the gut.

Beer

So I guess there are some specific questions against beer that there might not be against wine or cider, but perhaps not definite evidence.

As with most of these things, "you pays your money and you takes your choice".

Comment

Beer definitly counts as a grain in my book, it raises my blood sugar and produces the same bloating and water retention I get from other grain products. That being said, it also definitly counts as part of my 20% on occasion. "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
                          “To insure good health: eat lightly, breathe deeply, live moderately, cultivate cheerfulness, and maintain an interest in life.” - William Londen

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_o View Post
                            No.

Gluten free beers are made with gluten free grains usually a combination of rice and sorghum. Fermentation may remove some, but definitely not all gluten.

Comment

I love beer! Here in Colorado we have hundreds of microbrews to choose from.

I'm don't have Celiac, but I can attest that whenever I chug a few, I'm bloated (at least 1"-2") in the midsection and I feel lethargic the next day.

I can drink a few glasses of Powers Irish Whiskey and not have the same bloat problem.

Beer=grain=bloat
                              Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Comment

Working...
                              X