Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saturated fat is inflammatory? Say it isn't so!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saturated fat is inflammatory? Say it isn't so!

Hi, I'm reading The Fat Resistance Diet at the moment as I want to learn everything I can about what people suggest for dealing with leptin resistance. The book talks about obesity as an inflammatory condition and how inflammation leads to leptin resistance. Makes sense to me since my sudden weight gain and excessive hunger began at the same time as a whole lot of inflammatory issues (joint soreness, wheezing etc).

It is his recommendations for an anti-inflammatory diet that concern me. I think some of what he has to say is a bit off, and he doesn't seem to cover gluten and food intolerances unless that's in the toxins chapter which I haven't read yet. But he says one of the main inflammatory agents in the western diet is saturated fats. He does cover omega 6 versus omega 3. Have "studies shown that the amount of inflammation is proportional to the amount of saturated fat consumed"? Obviously I am hoping not!
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

That doesn't sound right at all. If I were you - I'd read a different book!

Comment

Try this antidote:

Hey, Mothers: Saturated Fat and “Bad” Cholesterol; Off the Hook | Free The Animal
      activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Yeah, read that this morning, thanks.

He also says saturated fat caused insulin resistance- "research has shown that insulin resistance is directly proportional to the amount of saturated fat in your tissues".

He also says low carb contributes to leptin resistance.

There are references, the above is a study into fatty acids and insulin resistance.

I'm reading plenty of other books, but there is so little info about leptin resistance out there. I'm reading everything I can find and hoping to piece together a plan. However since everything I read is contradictory to everything else I read, I'm not getting very far!

Got to go now, it's lunchtime, need to cook some bacon lol
        Last edited by Horsewoman; 05-09-2011, 04:31 AM.
        Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
        Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Horsewoman View Post
          He also says saturated fat caused insulin resistance- "research has shown that insulin resistance is directly proportional to the amount of saturated fat in your tissues".
          Maybe there was a misreading of what he said above. Fat is stored within the body as saturated fat regardless of what form you eat it in (carbs converted into body fat, protein (those converted to glucose then into body fats), and fats). The more stored fat you build up in your body (i.e. the fatter you are), the more insulin resistant you body will be, then his statement will therefore typically be true. So that sentence of his is technically correct as long as its read exactly that way, and not that way of your interpretation.

Because it is NOT the same thing as saying that *eating* saturated fat causes insulin resistance. It probably could if someone consumed lots of fat AND lots of carbs at the same time, but of course it depends on someone eating a seriously unbalanced diet. But it is misleading for an author to make that kind of statement without making the distinction and allow people to believe consuming saturated fats is the same thing as storing saturated fats without taking into account the metabolism of all macronutrients, which is what the Paleo/primal diets actually show us and help us avoid making the wrong choices in macronutrient balance.
          Last edited by wildwabbit; 05-09-2011, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Re saturated fat being inflammatory - he must be talking about arachidonic acid found in animal fats.

Comment

Saturated fat in the forms that we eat (butter, animal fat, coconut oil, etc) is very stable and not prone to oxidation. Unsaturated fats are unstable and oxidized easily. Oxidized fats are VERY inflammatory. A couple of other books you might check out:

Mastering Leptin
              Deep Nutrition - Why our Bodies Need Traditional Foods

(and industrially extracted vegetable seed oils (soy, corn, canola etc) are NOT traditional foods!)

The human body evolved very nicely eating a diet rich in saturated fats. The most inflammatory elements of diet are grains, unsaturated veg oils, not to mention the completely unnatural trans fats. Perhaps the reasoning behind this statement is that stored fat in the human body starts creating inflammatory molecules and raises the overall level of inflammation in the body -hence inflammation is proportional to the amount of saturated fat "in your tissues" - NOT the amount of saturated fat in your DIET.

Comment

Originally posted by wildwabbit View Post
                Maybe there was a misreading of what he said above. Fat is stored within the body as saturated fat regardless of what form you eat it in (carbs converted into body fat, protein (those converted to glucose then into body fats), and fats). The more stored fat you build up in your body (i.e. the fatter you are), the more insulin resistant you body will be, then his statement will therefore typically be true. So that sentence of his is technically correct as long as its read exactly that way, and not that way of your interpretation.

Because it is NOT the same thing as saying that *eating* saturated fat causes insulin resistance. It probably could if someone consumed lots of fat AND lots of carbs at the same time, but of course it depends on someone eating a seriously unbalanced diet. But it is misleading for an author to make that kind of statement without making the distinction and allow people to believe consuming saturated fats is the same thing as storing saturated fats without taking into account the metabolism of all macronutrients, which is what the Paleo/primal diets actually show us and help us avoid making the wrong choices in macronutrient balance.
                That's a good point. I need to check the reference and see what the study is actually about.

Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Barb View Post
                  Saturated fat in the forms that we eat (butter, animal fat, coconut oil, etc) is very stable and not prone to oxidation. Unsaturated fats are unstable and oxidized easily. Oxidized fats are VERY inflammatory. A couple of other books you might check out:

Mastering Leptin
                  Deep Nutrition - Why our Bodies Need Traditional Foods

(and industrially extracted vegetable seed oils (soy, corn, canola etc) are NOT traditional foods!)

The human body evolved very nicely eating a diet rich in saturated fats. The most inflammatory elements of diet are grains, unsaturated veg oils, not to mention the completely unnatural trans fats. Perhaps the reasoning behind this statement is that stored fat in the human body starts creating inflammatory molecules and raises the overall level of inflammation in the body -hence inflammation is proportional to the amount of saturated fat "in your tissues" - NOT the amount of saturated fat in your DIET.
                  Thanks, and I agree with everything you've said. Funnily enough those two books are the next two in my pile . I've already read The Leptin Diet which made a lot more sense and went much further into the science than this one, he noddy-ises everything so much that it's hard to assess it properly.

Harold Whitman

Comment

References:
                    Saturated fat and inflammation
                    Dietary fatty acids affect plasma markers of infla... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2004] - PubMed result
                    Attenuation of inflammation with short-term dietar... [Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2004] - PubMed result
                    Relation of dietary fat and fiber to elevation of ... [Am J Cardiol. 2003] - PubMed result

Saturated fat and insulin resistance
                    Effects of dietary fatty acids on insulin sensitiv... [Diabetes Obes Metab. 2004] - PubMed result "In humans, acute and prolonged effects of FAs on glucose-stimulated insulin secretion have been widely investigated as well as the effect of high-fat diets on insulin sensitivity and secretion and on the development of type 2 diabetes."

Harold Whitman

Comment

Hmm, okay then.

Dietary fatty acids affect plasma markers of infla... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2004] - PubMed result

I would be wary of "enriched" diets. Just adding isolated amounts of fatty acids doesn't tell us anything about that nutrient in its effect within the whole food. It is reductionism. Peter shows here how palmitic acid in isolation can cause inflammation but when coupled with oleic acid it doesn't. The same principle might apply to isolated stearic acid Hyperlipid: Palmitic acid: the horror never ends

My CRP is 0.1, I don't think evil stearic acid is causing inflammation in me, then again I don't take it in isolation. That's just an anecdote though. Lastly, in the study the change is fibrinogen is fairly small, and they admit it. So, umm, meh.

Attenuation of inflammation with short-term dietar... [Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2004] - PubMed result

They made large dietary changes, there is no way to know if the reduction of saturated fat was to blame. If you reduce fat you generally reduce omega 6 fats, too. Well that could impact inflammation. If their tissue HUFA status improved on one diet compared to the other, we could see changes in inflammation and it wouldn't have anything to do with saturated fat. This study doesn't actually demonstrate anything.

Relation of dietary fat and fiber to elevation of ... [Am J Cardiol. 2003] - PubMed result

Observational evidence. People already think that saturated fat kills you dead. You can expect the least health-conscious people to eat the most of it who also have a propensity to eat junk food and be nutrient-deficient and have poor habits. It doesn't follow that the observation of a correlation it is therefore causation.

Effects of dietary fatty acids on insulin sensitiv... [Diabetes Obes Metab. 2004] - PubMed result "In humans, acute and prolonged effects of FAs on glucose-stimulated insulin secretion have been widely investigated as well as the effect of high-fat diets on insulin sensitivity and secretion and on the development of type 2 diabetes."

Holy over-my-head-biochem, batman! Shit! Their main point of contention is that "Triglyceride accumulation in skeletal muscle cells (IMTG) derives from increased FA uptake coupled with deficient FA oxidation." Okay well I have a bit of an understanding of this process. Byron Richards explains in his book that I am reading that leptin resistance causes a decrease in expression of uncoupling protein 3 in skeletal muscle cells, thus preventing oxidation of extra triglycerides and causing insulin resistance. It is kind of silly to blame fats for not being able to be oxidized properly in the presence of pathology. Blame leptin resistance. Also their assertion that we're just eating so gosh-darn much saturated fat these days and it is killing us is laughable. The increase in dietary fats is due to industrial seed oils. Saturated fat from dairy and meat is down and omega 6 fats are up.

So, yeah, uhh, I'm not really impressed. Neither is Stephan here Whole Health Source: Saturated Fat, Glycemic Index and Insulin Sensitivity: Another Nail in the Coffin Both the theories that glycemic load and saturated fat contribute to insulin resistance are false when you actually do a good study that looks at the difference over many weeks.

As for leptin resistance, palmitic acid (triglycerides) does seem to cause some, but the real issue is circulating triglycerides, mostly caused by poor metabolic health + a high carb intake, particularly sugar and HFCS. I really wouldn't worry about dietary palmitic acid.

edit: actually leptin resistance is a big topic and inflammation is probably more of a cause than triglycerides. I don't think triglycerides necessarily cause pathological leptin resistance by themselves, although they at least appear to be a factor.

Also edits for poor sentence construction, sheesh. I'm on the high dose iodine-induced brainfog boat this morning, but not as bad as it has been. Should only get better.
                      Last edited by Stabby; 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM.
                      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Does he differentiate between artificially created saturate fat (hydrogenated) and natural sat. fat?
                        http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stabby View Post
                          Hmm, okay then.

I would be wary of "enriched" diets. Just adding isolated amounts of fatty acids doesn't tell us anything about that nutrient in its effect within the whole food. It is reductionism. Peter shows here how palmitic acid in isolation can cause inflammation but when coupled with oleic acid it doesn't. The same principle might apply to isolated stearic acid Hyperlipid: Palmitic acid: the horror never ends

My CRP is 0.1, I don't think evil stearic acid is causing inflammation in me, then again I don't take it in isolation. That's just an anecdote though. Lastly, in the study the change is fibrinogen is fairly small, and they admit it. So, umm, meh.

They made large dietary changes, there is no way to know if the reduction of saturated fat was to blame. If you reduce fat you generally reduce omega 6 fats, too. Well that could impact inflammation. If their tissue HUFA status improved on one diet compared to the other, we could see changes in inflammation and it wouldn't have anything to do with saturated fat. This study doesn't actually demonstrate anything.

Observational evidence. People already think that saturated fat kills you dead. You can expect the least health-conscious people to eat the most of it who also have a propensity to eat junk food and be nutrient-deficient and have poor habits. It doesn't follow that the observation of a correlation it is therefore causation.

Holy over-my-head-biochem, batman! Shit! Their main point of contention is that "Triglyceride accumulation in skeletal muscle cells (IMTG) derives from increased FA uptake coupled with deficient FA oxidation." Okay well I have a bit of an understanding of this process. Byron Richards explains in his book that I am reading that leptin resistance causes a decrease in expression of uncoupling protein 3 in skeletal muscle cells, thus preventing oxidation of extra triglycerides and causing insulin resistance. It is kind of silly to blame fats for not being able to be oxidized properly in the presence of pathology. Blame leptin resistance. Also their assertion that we're just eating so gosh-darn much saturated fat these days and it is killing us is laughable. The increase in dietary fats is due to industrial seed oils. Saturated fat from dairy and meat is down and omega 6 fats are up.

So, yeah, uhh, I'm not really impressed. Neither is Stephan here Whole Health Source: Saturated Fat, Glycemic Index and Insulin Sensitivity: Another Nail in the Coffin Both the theories that glycemic load and saturated fat contribute to insulin resistance are false when you actually do a good study that looks at the difference over many weeks.

As for leptin resistance, palmitic acid (triglycerides) does seem to cause some, but the real issue is circulating triglycerides, mostly caused by poor metabolic health + a high carb intake, particularly sugar and HFCS. I really wouldn't worry about dietary palmitic acid.

edit: actually leptin resistance is a big topic and inflammation is probably more of a cause than triglycerides. I don't think triglycerides necessarily cause pathological leptin resistance by themselves, although they at least appear to be a factor.

Also edits for poor sentence construction, sheesh. I'm on the high dose iodine-induced brainfog boat this morning, but not as bad as it has been. Should only get better.
                          Thankyou! Leptin resistance is driving me nuts at the moment. I spent most of the afternoon on Pubmed trying to find info, since the books I've read contradict each other. I knew there was some reason I did that biochem degree lol. Shame that brain fog is one of my symptoms!

I'm looking forward to read Mastering Leptin, seems like that's the one to go with (the Leptin Diet is certainly a lot better written and gives more detail of the science than this book does).

Harold Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by hazyjane View Post
                            Does he differentiate between artificially created saturate fat (hydrogenated) and natural sat. fat?
                            Yes, he talks about hydrogenated and trans fats.

Harold Whitman

Comment

The thing is, saturated fat *IS* inflammatory.

Nothing gets people inflamed more ways then simply telling them saturated fats are yummy and good for you, you eat tons of them, and they should too. And by the way its good for the cholesterol.

Veritable popcorn entertainment.

Ok back to your regularly scheduled thread. Sorry to hijack it

Comment

Working...
                              X