4 day fast

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 day fast

I've been IFing pretty much every day for 24 hours for the past few weeks, and wanted to take it up a notch and fast for 4 days. What is there to expect? Do any of you recommend it? What is the longest any of you have ever fasted for? Input would be greatly appreciated!

I fasted yesterday for 24-30 hours. I once did a 40 hour one. I don't like longer extended periods...

I'm following a 16/8... on occasion I do a 20-24 hour fast. Beyond that point I don't see much in the way of benefits unless we're talking about bragging rights.

I have a lot of time to not eat when I'm dead.

Comment

i definitely think you should do it. I haven't made it that far but I do believe the body heals its self once you start going beyond the 24 hour window. I noticed a lot of improvement just from a 45 hour fast. I believe it helps injuries heal faster and helps muscles rebuild as well. After I did my near 2 day fast I was able to pop out 20 strict pullups finally. I even did the human flag yesterday :P
      I might be supersticious(sp?) but I think it was cause of fasting increases the HGH.

Comment

If you've been IFing every day for 24 hours for the past few weeks, that's like, a 400 hour fast.

You can handle 40 easily.

Comment

oh and another thing I really like about fasting is it breaks that tie to food. You truely realize when your hungry and you don't have that addiction to food anymore. It's also alot less stressful by not having to think of what the hell your going to eat for the next meal cause sometimes for me its so hard to think of the right food I have to eat to stay lean, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dado View Post
            If you've been IFing every day for 24 hours for the past few weeks, that's like, a 400 hour fast.

You can handle 40 easily.
            Lol, what I meant was I've been eating once every 24 hours. Guess I should have worded that more carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by citiusaltiusfortius View Post
              i definitely think you should do it. I haven't made it that far but I do believe the body heals its self once you start going beyond the 24 hour window. I noticed a lot of improvement just from a 45 hour fast. I believe it helps injuries heal faster and helps muscles rebuild as well. After I did my near 2 day fast I was able to pop out 20 strict pullups finally. I even did the human flag yesterday :P
              I might be supersticious(sp?) but I think it was cause of fasting increases the HGH.
              Thank you for a real response. I don't know why some people are snarky in their replies, and after seeing some of the responses to the"Do you eat bread" thread I'm beginning to not like the atmosphere in this community.
              But I was genuinely curious as to whether or not fasting for a few days would have any benefits. I'm still going to go through with it though. At the end of 24 hour fasts I feel like I can keep going, so that's what I'm going to do.

Comment

Personally, I would definitely go 40-44 hours, but I wouldn't go 4 days because of muscle loss.

Have you read these threads, yet? I think you would find the third one very helpful.
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27894.html
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread28459.html
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29011.html
                Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I have a lot of time to not eat when I'm dead.
                  LOL! Me, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
                    Personally, I would definitely go 40-44 hours, but I wouldn't go 4 days because of muscle loss.
                    Muscle loss will not happen in any appreciable amount if you keep moderately active (walking, carrying things, etc). Activity signals the body to spare lean tissue and use adipose tissue. I did a water fast for 8 days and had no losses at the gym afterwards. People tend to think of the fasting religious ascetic (or David Blaine when he did that fasting stunt) who does nothing but sit and meditate during his fast. In that case, definitely some wasting will occur.
                    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                      Muscle loss will not happen in any appreciable amount if you keep moderately active (walking, carrying things, etc). Activity signals the body to spare lean tissue and use adipose tissue. I did a water fast for 8 days and had no losses at the gym afterwards. People tend to think of the fasting religious ascetic (or David Blaine when he did that fasting stunt) who does nothing but sit and meditate during his fast. In that case, definitely some wasting will occur.
                      True, but how much do you want to do these things on a longer fast? I don't have any experience in this area, so I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by JesseCat View Post
                        I don't know why some people are snarky in their replies...
                        Well, this is one of the better and healthier threads on fasting. A lot of the previous threads on fasting bordered on eating disorder.

Comment

True, but how much do you want to do these things on a longer fast? I don't have any experience in this area, so I am curious.
                          I completed a 2 day juice fast followed by a 5 day water fast and personally I did not notice much of a difference in my energy levels. At first I may have felt a bit drained but at some point my body adapted. I wouldn't recommend an exhaustive workout routine or marathon running but light activity was one thing that helped me stay on course. You will want to make sure you can get plenty of rest and it helps if stress levels are low. If you have a lot going on at work or something then an extended fast might not be the best idea. Of course these are all personal opinions and I am probably not as experienced as some others here. I found a lot of good information from Fasting for Health and Weightloss

Comment

Enough so that it's like you're saying to your body, "We still do these things, remember," if that makes sense. If you can do pullups, do a couple per day. Trot 100 meters during a walk. Hell, I remember doing a couple of sprints with ease. Just don't go all Crossfit, if you know what I mean.
                            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                              Same, Ive done a 24 and 15 day water fast (plan on doing one each spring) had no noticeable loss in bench press or squats after refeeding for one week.

Comment

Working...
                              X