No announcement yet.

How much fish oil must I take?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@SeanBissell - It's complicated. Fish oils can contain as many as 25 different fatty acids, including saturated & unsaturated fats. There is some omega-6, but not much...fish oil is heaviest in omega-3.

If you really want to know, here's a paper that did a complete analysis of oil from 2 different fish:

http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/chem/...13-0105-11.pdf

Comment

I take 1g most days, but I have noticed that I bruise easily.

Only a slight change from pre-omega-3 bruising though!

My bottle says that out of this 1g, 330mg is EPA and 220mg is DHA.

Comment

nina_70,

Thanks for the link. That burns my brain!

25 new fats to know about?

Not today

I think I need to bump up my fish oil though...

Mmmmmm fishy.

-Sean

www.SeanBissell.com

Comment

It's not the dose of the capsule, it's the amount of Omega-3 Fatty Acids (doh!) A large capsule might not have so much of the good stuff.

My capsules(two) are 1.76 of "Fish Body Oil Concentrate" with 870 mg of O-3, EPA 520mg and DHA 350mg.

I take at least a double dose a day and sometimes more. That's 1.74 grams O-3, a nice but room for more addition to my diet.

Comment

I take a spoon of plain cod liver oil (SeaCod brand). 5ml will possibly contain at least 4gm of oil. It contains about 800mg of EPA+DHA.

I am thinking of bumping it to two spoons a day.

It also contains about 5000IU of vitamin A and 600IU of D3 per spoon (assuming 4g). I also live in India, so I get some Vitamin D3 straight from the source. With two spoons, I will have enough A, and half of Vitamin D3 requirement.

I avoid almost all sources of O6, including nuts. Except for occasional Cashews, and sweets.

Comment

Anand, that's interesting that you say you take only CLO. Infact, Sally Fallon of WAPF does not recommend taking fish oil pills. She recommends taking CLO, particularly fermented, instead.

Comment

I use what I can get. In India its difficult to get any brand of CLO other than SeaCod. There are some capsules for O3, but I think CLO is much better than concentrated O3 capsules, because it is natural stuff. It contains other things beside O3. I might have tried other fish oils, if they were available, but probably would have gone for the cheapest ;-).

Women probably would do good on simple mustard oil as well, as they convert some ALA to EPA and DHA. My wife has good HDL level of 59. I have only 31 :-(. Could it be that I am not having enough EPA?

Comment

Are you getting enough fats: eggs, butter, meat?

Comment

" Sally Fallon of WAPF does not recommend taking fish oil pills. She recommends taking CLO, particularly fermented, instead."

"There are some capsules for O3, but I think CLO is much better than concentrated O3 capsules, because it is natural stuff."

So what's in the pills if not natural oils?

Frankly, I rather like not getting O3, A, and D, all in the same supplement. Sure, good for most of humanity, but I'd rather do them separately.

Comment

OTB the entire weston price foundation seems to endorse CLO over pretty much any other supplement... Im actually thinking about switching from fish to cod oil, but like you I don't want the added D/A.

sigpic
                      In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

@maba

I eat about 2-3 eggs everyday. Get some mutton, and a lot ghee. We are going through a Kg in a week. I am sure I would be getting more than half of it.

Yes I am eating less meat, that I probably should, and eat more carbs than I probably should, but it couldn't be that. Kitavans were also in the same boat but they probably got much more fish.

I also seem to remember that EPA has a bearing on HDL. So that could be a possibility. I am probably having too little fish oil. So I am doubling it. If there is no impact then I will have to think of something else. CLO cannot be increased further without getting too much Vitamin A.

Comment

The last year or so I've been pretty consistent with my fish oil supplements. In the winter I switch to cod liver oil for the extra vit a + d boost. I still take a separate vit d supp but I figure when its the time of year when its dark when I leave to go to uni and dark when I come back home, I could use a little extra.

I read somewhere to go for 'cholesterol free' CLO, not for the cholesterol itself, but to ensure its relatively pollutant free (apparently the toxins hug onto the cholesterol molecules). I haven't seen any supps in the UK that says that on the tub/bottle, but I guess another benefit of changing supps is I'd be minimising the risk (if any?) of any small toxins building up because I'm switching sources.

Comment

stevew, I think you are worrying WAY too much. Rotating potential toxins and all......

Comment

I'm undecided about the whole CLO versus fish oil discussion. Have read all the benefits from Western Price & have also seen opposing points of view (specifically centered around the delicate balance between A & D vitamins...). At the moment we're taking a mix...fermented cod liver oil in AM and krill oil or regular fish oil in PM,.

Comment

OTB, I dont worry at all, it could just be a plus and happened to be mentioned in something I've read recently.

Comment

Working...
                                X