Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent post on the science of enzymes

http://www.begin2dig.com/2009/11/raw...of-enzyme.html

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

Interesting post. I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me suggestions as well.

I eat 90% primal with plenty o' fat. One thing to note is that I don't eat much vegetables and eat one piece of fruit a day. The veggies are mostly due to the fact that I am never home and don't have time to cook often.

With that all being said, it's been difficult for me to be "regular" and I've resorted to laxatives in desperate times.

Does the probiotics work? I take fiber pills but those don't help much... Suggestions?

Comment

Your body makes the enzymes it needs. End of story.

Comment

Sometimes the body needs help....

It can be useful to supplement digestive enzymes for people who need 'em (e.g. not able to digest properly, or coming from vegetarian diet into a protein-based diet, or recovering from Candida, or recovering from IBS etc.). I've definitely seen them be useful to help transition and get the body back on track to making it's own enzymes, often in combo w/ prebiotics/probiotics too.

But...I'd probably go to a doc first and get checked out. The doc can test for gut issues &/or food sensitivities (you could be sensitive to a given protein for example). If needed, they can supplement the enzymes too.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. I am wondering if it is the imbalance of omega ratios from not eating grass fed beef? Because I am eating plenty of fats.

Tried going to the doc but all that was said was the same CW advice - eat more whole grains, fiber, etc. It's just such a pain to have to go from one referral to another just to get an answer. Wanted to try what experience others have had in this community first.

Comment

Kjake... I had a huge bloating problem (for almost three years, almost all of the time) and went through a long process to try to figure it out. Finally changed doctors, tried a lot of stuff-- finally my nutritionist and I decided to do an elimination diet. Within three days of being on the diet, the bloating was gone. (And I mean bloating-- like 8 months pregnant bloating...)

I eliminated all dairy (even yogurt), all soy (I don't eat that much, but anyway), caffeine and alcohol, among other things.

I'm still working on getting my gut health back-- you can tell things aren't digesting quite as they should-- but it's getting better the more I stay away from dairy, caffeine, soy and alcohol. I'm supplementing with probiotics and just taking the time to let my gut heal.

I would suggest trying an elimination diet for a few weeks (you should go a month before you add stuff back in). It can't hurt, and you may learn a LOT about how your body reacts to certain foods.

Just a suggestion!!

sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

I should mention wheat was on the list for elimination, too, but I wasn't eating any so didn't need to worry about it!

sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Working...
                X