Alkaline water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alkaline water

Anyone tried or hear this? My madre is planning on buying some Kangen water; it basically produces alkaline water for drinking and washing food ect... and acidic water for killing bacteria, and all the "bad" stuff.

I never believe that there is a magic bullet that will take away all your worries and ailments, but the water actually looks helpful, and it makes sense that being shifted towards an alkaline state would improve overall health.

I do know that the metabolic typing crowd don't believe in it for the types that are naturally alkaline (slow oxidizer) as too alkaline isn't good either.

Anyone try it?

sigpic
    In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Some people will believe anything.

The western US suffers from alkaline water and we've spent 150 years making drinking water better, i.e., getting rid of the alkalinity.

You want alkaline? Add any alkali to it: sodium or potassium hydroxide, baking soda, borax, grocery store washing soda.

You want acidic water? Vinegar is the obvious choice.

Just drink water from the tap. Most drinking water in the US is great stuff, unlike before that nasty gummint EPA got involved.

Comment

Some people will believe anything.

The western US suffers from alkaline water and we've spent 150 years making drinking water better, i.e., getting rid of the alkalinity.

You want alkaline? Add any alkali to it: sodium or potassium hydroxide, baking soda, borax, grocery store washing soda.

You want acidic water? Vinegar is the obvious choice.

Just drink water from the tap. Most drinking water in the US is great stuff, unlike before that nasty gummint EPA got involved.

Comment

Haha I hope that wasn't in reference to me OTB... I know I've been goin crazy with the codex issue, but I was doubtful about this one from the start.

sigpic
        In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Comment

From what I understand, the pH of the blood circulating in your system has a range of only 7.35 to 7.45 and does pretty well at keeping your pH where it should be. You can change the pH of your urine, but what's the point of that? I find all of this alkaline/acid food stuff not to make much sense.

Comment

"One problem is, at least in this article, these guys seem see urine and saliva pH as representative of the state of "body pH." The two are not the same. For one thing, unlike the urine, saliva is not used by the body to get rid of excess acid or base. For another thing, although the pH of your urine can indeed range from 4.5 to 8.0 (nearly four orders of magnitude difference in H+ concentration), urine pH is not body pH. In fact, you can't really control the pH of most of your bodily fluids, particularly blood and extracellular fluid. Urine is one exception, and this is the very reason why the "remedies" sold by the pH fetishists appear to work. For example, dairy products, eggs, and foods with a lot of protein, like meats, will indeed acidify your urine, mainly because the kidneys will secrete the excess acid that is generated when the excess protein is broken down. Your blood pH changes minimally if at all. For a more detailed discussion of the mechanisms controlling your body's acid-base balance, go here, here and here.

The bottom line is that, in the absence of renal and lung disease, the homeostatic mechanisms controlling the pH of your blood are incredibly robust and tightly regulated."

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...e_or_woo_1.php

Comment

@Au thanks. I have been seeing a lot of alkaline body comments here lately and I was wondering if that was really something that could be controlled by diet. I'm guessing that it can't. It would stand to reason that a healthy body would have a very closely regulated pH.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

Comment

Great comments and observations, GWG!

This is an example of how great scientists can fall down. Cordain, after all his work proving a paleolithic diet heavy on the animal, thank you, is best, he goes off into la-la land about acid/base regulation, metabolic acidosis, and smothering your steak in CANOLA oil BEFORE cooking it!

Comment

OTB - well, I can only take credit for finding the article on the second comment

Canola oil - yuck.

Comment

Really good info right there... thanks

sigpic

Comment

The alkaline/acid thing has always been fascinating to me. A couple of years ago I developed a pretty severe case of kidney stones, followed by a painful onset of gout. The stones passed eventually but the gout stuck around. (I was on the SAD at the time).

The urologist wanted to put me on a lifetime drug program, which I of course wanted no part of.

Long story short, I found a site on the web that claimed you could use sodium bicarbonate to reduce the acid levels in your blood (2 tsp at night on an empty stomach - neutralizes stomach acid, stomach starts producing new acid to replace, changing the ph levels of your blood). (icuredmygout.org)

It was a miracle cure for me. Next day I could walk without a limp, and within 5 or so days I was gout free.

The simplicity of this cure amazed me. My urine and blood tests came back as low risk for any type of stone and the urologist was a bit baffled.

Comment

Again, if the pH levels of your blood change much, you get very sick or die. Your stomach pH, organ pH, and blood pH are all separate entities. Your blood pH is tightly regulated and what you put in your stomach doesn't seem to have much effect on that.

Now, I'm not saying it didn't work for some reason (kidney function, etc.), but not because of changing your blood pH. Did you test the pH of your blood before/after?

Comment

I agree with the others. The stomach is a very acidic entity (for good reason...lack of proper acidity in the stomach actually inhibits digestion), and PH of your blood is not affected significantly by what you eat. The major thing that varies (PH-wise) in your body is your urine. I would never take alkalizing water simply because I woundn't want to mess with the very natural acidity in my stomach. This is the best (most scientific) site I've found de-bunking the use of ionized & alkaline water:

http://www.chem1.com/CQ/ionbunk.html

@TexTodd - the reason sodium bicarbonate helped your gout has to do with uric acid, not blood PH...it helps w/ the elimination of uric acid from the body (through urine) which prevents it from forming the tiny crystals round your joints that cause the gout pain. It's a known remedy, and it does work, but not because it changes blood PH.

Comment

The acidity/alkalinity diet is based on what you eat and how it affects your body's mineral profile, not necessarily your blood pH, directly.

No, your blood cannot be out of the natural range of 7.35-7.45. That is slightly alkaline. The point of alkalizing food is that you MAINTAIN this pH easier because your body does not need to buffer it.

Eating foods that are "acid forming" such as grains, dairy and sugars (and meat... yikes!), put a strain on your body to MAINTAIN your blood pH. Your body will withdraw minerals (K, Mg, Na, Ca, etc.) to act as buffers from these acidifying foods and maintain a natural range. If you eat alkalizing foods (veggies and fruit) your body needs no mineral exchange to maintain a natural pH.

I assume that if we all get ample amounts of neg... we are doing much better than the population at large.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Comment

@GoldwaterGirl and Nina -

No, I didnt test blood PH, although the author of the site claims to have himself, and he includes a great deal of detail and self diagnosis (kind of reminds me of Lex Rooker on the raw paleo forum.)

I can certainly not pretend to understand why it worked so effectively, except that it did.

I wonder why this "treatment" is not more recommended or known? It was incredibly effective, even moreso than the pain pills. My urologist seemed to indicate he had never heard of such a thing...

Anyway, its not something I mess with, but would not hesitate to use again if gout or kidney stones returned.

Comment

Working...
                              X