Dr. Oz today... and Oprah....ugh....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Oz today... and Oprah....ugh....

did anyone see these shows today? just viewed them on the DVR from this morning... Oprah had 20 people, with Bob Green's help, lose weight and get healthy...he prescribed they do 300 minutes of cardio a week, upping it from the initial 200. Strength training too, of course, and yes, they all lost plenty of weight...but I would think this is difficult to maintain...and, it may produce fat loss, which is what they wanted, but hormonally, I wonder about the damage done?

As for Dr. Oz... STRICT veganism talk, based on the China Study. this one gentleman regarded all oils processed foods, since they obviously have been pressed, and topped this massive salad with tofu and lemon juice.... however, how does one absorb fat soluble nutrients without the vitamins ADEK?..

they presented statistics about cancer cells growing with too much protein, and stopping with plant matter only...and other studies.... as usual, there is so much information out there that is confusing the masses.
    I suppose i should get a blood test, that sort of thing...to see how i'm doing, but i just figure if my waist is tiny, and blood pressure low...i'm good..these shows instil fear...and concern...i suppose they can help those that exist on junk food...but i find there is just too much info...most of it, incorrect.
    thoughts?

Why are you watching these people? You know they will drive you crazy.... They are entertainers, they are not educational or helpful.

Comment

Ugh! Why did you torture yourself?
      So, olive oil and coconut oil are processed, and tofu is not a processed food? Right, that makes perfect sense.
      My Primal Journal with lots of food pr0n

Comment

Originally posted by DianeThePurple View Post
        Why are you watching these people? You know they will drive you crazy.... They are entertainers, they are not educational or helpful.
        Agreed. It is akin to a thread which says, "I got kicked repeatedly in the groin today. It hurt!" Well, no sh*t.

No offense intended to the OP but I honestly can't see why anyone watches those clowns.

Comment

Yeah. I've just been watching this. Olive oil is processed but apparently vinegar, tofu and nutritional yeast aren't. Right. If this diet is so natural, how come they tell you that you have to take B12 supplements?

Comment

Threads like this affirm my decision not to have a TV.
            Lifting Journal

Comment

Dr Mehmet is a cardiothoracic surgeon, so it's fair to assume his opinions are worth at least lending an ear to.

Anybody who takes their health cues from Oprah deserves to die anyway.

Comment

I saw both shows. At least Dr Oz vaguely pointed out the need for B12 supplementation on that plan.

this one gentleman regarded all oils processed foods
                That would be Neal Barnard, MD from the PRCM and his vegan agenda.

Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) - Neal Barnard, M.D., president

Relationship with PETA

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and the foundation that manages it—the Foundation to Support Animal Protection, also known as the PETA Foundation—donated over $850,000 to PCRM between 1988 and 2000, and Barnard sat on the Foundation's board until 2005. Barnard also writes a medical column for Animal Times, PETA's magazine.[8] PCRM has responded to criticism about this from groups it says are funded by the meat, dairy, or chemical industries by stating it has no corporate affiliation with any animal protection group, and that PETA's contribution to PCRM was small.[17]

PCRM—along with PETA and groups such as the Centers for Disease Control, the Center for Science in the Public Interest, and Mothers Against Drunk Driving—has been the subject of public criticism for several years by the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF), a non-profit lobby group representing the food and beverage industry.[18] The New York Times reported CCF's and PCRM's criticism of each other in 2004. CCF called PCRM a front for PETA, arguing that when PCRM offers health advice, they "do a very slick job of obscuring their real intentions," which is simply to oppose the use of meat, dairy products and alcohol. PCRM responded that, "If you are in the business of putting veal or beef on the tables of America, and slaughtering more than a million animals per hour, and making an awful lot of money at it, you are going to try to neutralize PETA or other animal-rights groups."[19]
                Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

... and tomorrow Dr Oz will give us the know how to fight fat for those of us over 40.

Comment

I saw a Dr. Oz show the last week where he was hawking the blood type diet and if you are an O you should be on the caveman diet. He actually said it. Eat like your ancestors, and he says don't eat grains.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tough...-answered-pt-1
                    I'm too stubborn to give up so I keep on trying.

You're never going to get to the top of the stairs if you don't walk up them.

Comment

Originally posted by primalprincess7 View Post
                      I saw a Dr. Oz show the last week where he was hawking the blood type diet and if you are an O you should be on the caveman diet. He actually said it. Eat like your ancestors, and he says don't eat grains.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/tough...-answered-pt-1
                      Isn't like half the population type O? So that would mean this vegan advice is pretty irresponsible.

Comment

Blood type A.

Geez why am I doing so well eating like this?

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
                          Blood type A.

Me, too. I think it's a bunch of hooey. From what I've read, cultures don't tend to be homogenous as far as blood type goes.

Edit: Oh, and I'm type A, too.

Comment

Originally posted by O_O View Post
                            Blood type A.

A+ here--and I'm doing great on this!

Comment

Blood type diets? Oh god, the horror. When you realize you are espousing pseudo-science you STOP espousing it and STFU Natural Sports Medicine Blog: A Critical Examination Of Blood Type Diets

Maybe Oz wants another of these Dr. Oz: Dr. Oz and Andrew Wakefield were awarded prizes for promoting unscientific ideas - latimes.com

And the China Study is dumb. 1. Epidemiology is not to be used to form a conclusion. 2. It doesn't even support the conclusion that it claims it does, he cherry-picked evidence egregiously.

The protein thing is just sad. I have no argument that if a tumor is malignant, then starving it of the amino acids it needs to proliferate is a good idea, but that doesn't mean that protein causes cancer, that same study that they are talking about appears to show the opposite The Curious Case of Campbell I'm not sure of my opinion on protein anymore but one thing that is just downright sleazy is trying to say that mTOR activity when a tumor is malignant is the same thing as mTOR activity when it isn't, it's not.

Dr. Oz had colon polps eating his stupid OCD million meals a day of low fat crap diet.

I am aware that is mean, but these people are menaces to good physical and psychological health.
                              Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X